The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Collins Key's Mentalism/Book Test Effect on AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
can't really boast with only
215 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Does anybody know if the trick Collins Key did on America's Got Talent this week has a name, or if it's something original he came up with? It involved some familiar ideas, one similar to something Jay Sankey uses in "Projection" and another from Annemann. The method will probably be obvious to most magicians, but it really fried the judges.

Video link below. (Sorry, you'll have to endure a 30-second commercial to see it.)

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/v....../n39017/
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Just booked by Steve Valentine.

That said, that may have been the worst performance of it ever. There are such better ways to do this. Even with just 30 seconds.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
1799 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Nathan and Maddy,

It reminds me very much of a Docc Hilford's effect (TWM). I am, however, unfamiliar with "Just Booked" by Steve Valentine.

Regards, Steve
"Impossible? Your audience will think so..." ™

Thought Association Card
Triangulation
Word Search Detective
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 21:27, yachanin wrote:
Hi Nathan and Maddy,

It reminds me very much of a Docc Hilford's effect (TWM). I am, however, unfamiliar with "Just Booked" by Steve Valentine.

Regards, Steve

Pardon, I was typing in a hurry. It is just the effect "Booked" by Steve Valentine. It is currently the thread right below this one but I'm sure it will be close by.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&33
Robvs
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 20:20, Magic.Maddy wrote:

That said, that may have been the worst performance of it ever. There are such better ways to do this. Even with just 30 seconds.

Disagree. I thought it was a spectacular performance to fit the time constraint. The addition of the envelope was wonderful, conversation continued in the appropriate thread (follow link).
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 22:01, Robvs wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 20:20, Magic.Maddy wrote:

Disagree. I thought it was a spectacular performance to fit the time constraint. The addition of the envelope was wonderful, conversation continued in the appropriate thread (follow link).

Well of course we all have our opinions. I know that if I were doing it (and I'm 16 as well so it's not an age thing) I would have come up with a much better presentation (I use two different ones in my shows. They both play spectacularly... Not in the SAME show of course) I think his presentational skills are very lack luster for me personally. Saying "I'm going to imagine ripping the page out and writing a word on it" and then closing your eyes isn't well thought out. Heck, it would have been better if he had even made one of them imagine it. There are much more visually appealing ways to handle this beautiful effect. I don't think he did it justice. Sorry.
Robvs
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Good enough to have people inquiring about the name of the effect...
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 22:13, Robvs wrote:
Good enough to have people inquiring about the name of the effect...

Oh yes, you could perform this silent and people would wonder about the effect. The effect is genius. He just provides no explanation for what he is doing an it's not entertaining to watch. I won't be replying to anything else on this thread though. We already have one thread on booked Smile
Robvs
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of Robvs
I think that's the only thing we will agree on (posting in the Booked area)
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
Recovering Cafe addict with only
6908 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I felt the same way Maddy - but then again he is on AGT and going to Radio City.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 23:32, saysold1 wrote:
I felt the same way Maddy - but then again he is on AGT and going to Radio City.

I REALLY wanted to audition for AGT just for that reason. The judges see tons of illusionists so when someone does a basic double lift (two years ago) they go insane and love them.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburg, CA
615 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Was hoping he would not go through...he came across as annoying and obnoxious, and he apparently thought he was a lot better than he was...
Just my opinion...
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
can't really boast with only
215 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Thanks for sharing the existing thread for Booked. Will continue there.

Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I urge everyone to try out for Agt. Every year audtions. Its only 75,000 to compete with albeit, not all magicians and mentalists. Everyone gets a shot.

PS: He admitted he was doing a trick so its mental magic. I thought he did well and since they don't really want close up, he did better then well IMO. Plus he has the surfer looks that make him a heart throb. This will probably launch his career.

Decomposing on AGT Smile
Robvs
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Closer to boy band than surfer. I have no problems with being a heart throb, but calling yourself one is a different story.
Nonetheless, he's great.
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
527 Posts

Profile of jcroop
I, too, felt that with just some subtle changes in the presentation it would have been much better. At the end, everyone on the panel just looked puzzled.

But he certainly gets a lot of credit for going out and doing it. And even if some felt the presentation may have been stronger, he certainly commanded a strong presence.

I wish him a lot a luck.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Does the last effect he did with the prediction in box have a name. I have seen it many times but the tube version seems commercial vs other similar methods.
Martello
View Profile
Regular user
Catskill Mountains
179 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 21:41, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nathan and Maddy,

Regards, Steve

Pardon, I was typing in a hurry. It is just the effect "Booked" by Steve Valentine. It is currently the thread right below this one but I'm sure it will be close by.

Seems like "Pegasus Page" to me.

Arthur
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 22:12, Martello wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 21:41, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nathan and Maddy,

Regards, Steve

Seems like "Pegasus Page" to me.

Arthur

Booked is a version of Pegasus page...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yuppers.........

Going to miss Special Head though....
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
6908 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Any idea which envelope concept was utilized here?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 21:29, saysold1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean... It's just an envelope.
Robvs
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 21:39, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:

No it wasn't. The envelope was shown empty at first. I don't want to talk too much about method but I'm nearly sure it was just a flap "two-way out" type of homemade job, similar to a change bag.
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
6908 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 22:52, Robvs wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

No it wasn't. The envelope was shown empty at first. I don't want to talk too much about method but I'm nearly sure it was just a flap "two-way out" type of homemade job, similar to a change bag.

Exactly - I assume it is similar to a 2 way force bag but using an envelope that seals the opposite side. I use and love Carlyle's bags, but have never played with an envelope before. I don't think it would be too hard to create.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1288 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 22:52, Robvs wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow! Sorry! Didn't even notice that!!
paperinick
View Profile
Special user
my faro is starting to look nice after
612 Posts

Profile of paperinick
The combo of book test + reappearing page (envelope) has been performed in the past on TV, I don't know if in the US though (in Italy performed maaaaaaany years ago by Alexander)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
1000 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
You should find the answer in Ted Lesley's fabulous book or DVD's
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
6908 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I was reading some old posts on Pegasus page and since I just got "Booked" last week (and LOVE it) - I am now thinking that I would rather present this as a mentlism influence piece whereby the appearing page was never there (in the book) in the first place. No need for a special envelope - the torn page could be held by a spectator from the beginning in a regular envelope.

These ideas were batted around some time ago I realize but I think this book test could be even better as less a magic trick... and more a demo of influence.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
5330 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I like the mentalism possibilities as well.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
1000 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Might revisit using Dan Harlan's Stash for the page reveal, where the spectator has been holding it from the get go.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Collins Key's Mentalism/Book Test Effect on AGT (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.307931 seconds, requiring 84 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [8] [7] [7] [8] [2] [8] [7]