The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MIB By Scott Alexander (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
If this is as clever and as practical as it sounds it is very frustrating that we cant see a full demo.

I would understand if Scott feels that by showing a full demo people would be able to recreate the effect themselves.
But from what we are being told this is so clever that recreation wouldn't be possible.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
For nearly $1700 we shouldn't be able to backwards engineer it.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I disagree. For nearly $1700, *laymen* shouldn't be able to backwards engineer it. I don't know whether this is the case or not, regardless how clean the load is. Is the Master Prediction Chest so powerful because the performer never writes anything down, or is it because it appears so clean? Because this seems to be as clean, but you are writing the predicted elements down. Why don't Scott and/or Puck join in and let us in on their experiences with M.I.B.?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Ideally, you would be able to break bottle inside a clear ziplock bag. Unfortunately not possible but at least the paper bag is ungimmicked and can be fully examined before the break. Based on the limited info I know about the method, I'm not sure a load into a nest of boxes or prediction chest would be that practical, especially if you want the box in full view from the beginning.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 14:22, Chad Sanborn wrote:
I think I see what is going on here. And if I am right, then this is about the most ingenious thing I have seen in a while! If not, then I have just invented the most ingenious thing I have seen in a while!

The method (if I am right) to get the live info onto the scroll is where the value is in this release. Just Brilliant!

Dagnabit! Unfortunately I didn't create the most ingenious method as I was correct. But I was only correct in so far as the basic method. I have learned that this thing is a marvel of electronic invention. Its a lot more sophisticated that I could have ever hoped for.

Its the perfect method for a solo performer and it can be adapted to many different types of revelations. You're not married to the bottle idea if its something you don't like. I have always wanted to do a 'time capsule' prediction where a chest I buried in the yard as a kid was dug up and inside were different things from my childhood. Also is a diary and written in the diary would be a prediction for the days events. I think that this method finally gets me there.

Excellent work and thinking behind this! Bravo Gentlemen!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Chad: If you know how it works, do you know how the prediction is loaded into its final location? Is it invisible and deceptive? Can it be taken out of a chest that was in full view from the start?
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Just from the adds I assume that this is a way to write out a huge prediction, right infront of audience, without they realising it and at the same time the prediction is rolled into small packet that can be loaded where ever you choose to. I understand the price completely if this is anything like what I am thinking it is. And for a pro this costs only 1-2 gigs income. Only real other option to do jumbo size confabulation reveal at the moment for someone performing alone is Paul Romhany's.

J-M
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Just to let those who may not know, Paul Romhany's version is called Dream Prediction. He also put out a 'lite' version of the same routine.
I do have this routine and would say that Paul has thought it through quite well. Although he still performs this trick on a regular basis, I am not too comfortable with the technique. Paul's is much cheaper with the same basic result. Does anybody use Paul Romhany's version?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have it and have used it once. To be honest, it does pretty much accomplish the exact same thing as MIB without any electronics. Now that I think about it, I really can't think of any benefit to using MIB over Rohmany's very low tech version. My main issue with Dream Prediction is that it adds absolutely nothing new by way of plot or method and is therefore way overpriced IMO.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Patrick, Yes to all of those questions.
It is invisible and deceptive and can be taken out of pretty much anything that's been in full view.
As with any prediction, secretly getting the written info into a sealed object is the problem. Most can
be overcome with a clever routine and choreography of movement. Will this be the end all be all of one man
predictions? No. Its doubtful anything ever will be. But as far as one man methods go, this is the best I
have ever seen.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
For me, I still think it comes down to whether you can clearly display what you've written on the board. If not, there's no reason you should be using one and that would be a big weakness in my mind.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Let me add some information that might help address some of the issues being raised regarding MIB

I'll begin by stating that I have no vested personal business or personal interest in the product, nor the two individuals involved in its release.
My main interest is in this new development of a very old premise, which has certainly perked my interest!

First, on the subject of the bottle/bag.
I have used what is pretty much this exact handling for several years, with a lottery ticket inside the bottle (in my case the bottle is always a clear/white wine bottle).
The premise is based on a very clever idea that goes back quite a few years (I won't get into any more specifics, as it's not my idea to discuss).
Suffice it to say, it accomplishes what it sets out to do. That said, here are some key points:

1. The bottle doesn't need to go into the audience, leave anyone's sight (relatively speaking), or otherwise seem suspicious.
In fact, in my routine, it sits centre-stage throughout the show, with a lottery ticket clearly sitting inside.

2. The bag comes into play at a very logical moment and plays a utilitarian role. As such, it is not the least bit suspicious.
In fact, this is one of the challenges of viewing a brief video demo, you tend to miss much of the context and make evaluations based on the little that you see. Totally understandable, but I will reiterate that in context of the procedure, the paper bag makes sense. This segment, by the way, has allowed for more laughs than nearly anything else in my show.
I don't know what kind of scripting/staging Scott and Puck will offer with the routine, but suffice it to say, there are some very logical moments for laughs during this segment!

3. YOU DO NOT EVEN NEED TO USE A BOTTLE!
That said, the routine is entitled "Message In A Bottle," so there is some rationale for its use and I suspect anyone who gets this will use a bottle.
But you could reveal the prediction in myriad ways.

Second, is the issue of the board.
While I have yet to see it in action (other than the demo), I am aware of its basic workings and some of its features.
This appears to be both innovative and advance the method(s) for performing a confab routine.

I am quite familiar with Paul's wonderful Dream Prediction, and if it works for you - great!
But, as mentioned, MIB does offer features and benefits that have not been seen before.

On the issue of showing what you have written.....it is my understanding that this can be done, however, it's not necessary, depending on how you choose to present the effect.

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

e
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Well yeah, I understand that when you write something down, you can show it and then erase that and write something else and show that, etc. but it'll look exactly the same as how it's written on the scroll... Would they notice?

Plus, it would be highly illogical to always be erasing what you previously wrote because you're writing it down to remember the info and recap later. How does it help if you keep erasing?!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Agreed. I agree that the method is brand new and a giant leap forward as far as technology goes, but I'm still not seeing any real visual benefits over Dream Prediction.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The benefit I see is the size of the prediction. Having the prediction unroll so that pieces are revealed at a time is very strong. Plus the fact that the prediction stretches the entire stage is an instant applause cue. I don't have this, but I'd get it ifI were full time. I do dream prediction myself.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Not much being said about Paul Stockman's work which is awesome.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
I would like to thank everyone for your interest in MIB from Scott and myself. This is a routine and method that we've been working on and honing for the past two years and are very proud of what we've created. The method is like nothing out there to date. The message in a bottle idea came from the Fogel book and has been done before. The method though is something we came up with out of the frustration of using backstage assistants on the ships where we primarily work. We also wanted to come up with something that packed small and weighed little to nothing especially with all the new luggage regulations on the planes. I think some of you really got it, For those of you that have used a confabulation routine in the past you know how strong it plays and nothing there has changed. This is simply a utility device to perform it with more ease and convenience. We use the bottle as it makes complete sense with the routine of being stranded on a deserted island. You could use another receptacle to reveal the prediction but trust me the bottle works and goes over everyones head especially with the size of the message in the end. No one is able to trace back how it was written when nothing ever enters or leaves the stage. The final picture of a 10' - 15' prediction stretched between you and an audience volunteer plays huge and is an automatic applause cue. Remember you can show the bag empty before the bottle is placed in if desired. Also, we have an additional handling ( not necessary ) to have the volunteer remove the prediction showing nothing else in the bag except the broken bottle and cork all done without the use of a double walled bag. The units are being built using a computer blueprint and high quality materials that wont warp or be damaged by the elements. We're hoping that our MIB will become the new standard for solo confabulation routines in the future. We are offering these at a pre sale discounted until Aug 31St and then at full retail which ends Sept 1st. If interested you can find more info on my site at http://www.themagicofpuck.com

Thanks .... Puck
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Thank you for clearing everything up Puck!
I think it's a great effect and very well thought out!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Still don't know if you can display the dry erase board with the items written out.
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Yes, you can show the answers from the audience written on the dry erase board for verification before displaying the large message prediction. The cool thing is that the dry erase answers are written in a different color marker ( dry erase board in red the message in black ) then the prediction and it's not in the same hand writing like a carbon copy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MIB By Scott Alexander (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL