The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Joshua Messado Rings (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1155 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

I met Joshua Messado at the Ellusionist booth during Magic Live and saw him perform the linking rings.

These are the four inch rings for close up, they come with a black finish and a nice carrying case.

Joshua was a super cool guy and very helpfull, his routine looked great. I decided to get a set, they were $65 at the show.

The DVD that comes with the rings is very good, Joshua is a smooth teacher, and covers many ring moves.

There are some new moves like the Messado Display and centrifugal spins that are beautiful.

This is an easy way to get started with the rings, and I think more advanced ring slingers will find something new here as well.

I am having lots of fun with this and recommend this highly!

I don't think the product is quite "out" yet, but I would expect to see it at the Ellusionist site pretty soon, here is a movie...

The rings are now cool again.

Best,

Bill
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4116 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
The guy is certainiy cool how he is manipulating the rings,very entertaining and thanks for sharing,all the best,
Shane
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Thanks for posting that. I met Joshua at my SAM assembly #161 last year, and he performed one of his close up ring routines for our group. Really cool guy, and impressive routine. I have been since anticipating this coming out.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2078 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Ringistry
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1339 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Very nice.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

Tracy Guillory [aka ProfessorWhut]
magicofrowhan
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of magicofrowhan
Ive seen him perform his rings routines countless times while I lived in philly. absolute eye candy
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
I was lucky enough to spend some time with Joshua at this years S.A.M. Convention, and got a little ring lesson with him. I'm really looking forward to finally seeing this project and learning some new ring stuff.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1039 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Besides Joshua's handling with the rings, I am wondering what the quality of the rings are. Especially compared to the Wizards' Inn "Ninja Rings" from a decade ago. It would be nice to be able to get a high quality set of close-up rings since the Ninja Rings are almost impossible to find nowadays.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Quote:
On 2013-11-03 12:59, MJ Marrs wrote:
Besides Joshua's handling with the rings, I am wondering what the quality of the rings are. Especially compared to the Wizards' Inn "Ninja Rings" from a decade ago. It would be nice to be able to get a high quality set of close-up rings since the Ninja Rings are almost impossible to find nowadays.

I really like them, nice and smooth without a seam. The black stays nice and doesn't get that "dirty" look.

Great quality. I don't have another set to really compare with though.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1007 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
MJ, I have the Messado Rings and the Gold and Silver Ninja rings. After working with the Messado rings, I actually like the weight better on them. They do get a little scratched, though.
7Hexagon
View Profile
New user
Arizona
8 Posts

Profile of 7Hexagon
DVD - The DVD is extremely helpful and informative. Joshua spends a lot of time delving into each individual move, and the DVD feels extremely detailed. It was also stylistically appealing, and the music, the setting, and Joshua himself looked professional and high-quality. Josh seems like a master at work when he's explaining the routine, and he offers something for those who have never picked up a ring set before or even performed magic, and also offers something for those who have many times before.

Rings - The rings are very visually appealing. It was a very bold and intelligent choice to have the rings be black as opposed to the classic silver. I also prefer the width/circumference of the rings over most others. They are also extremely portable, and I often carry them in my pocket. The case looks very slick, is aesthetically cohesive with the ring set, and it's also very functional in keeping them safe. The only negative I have found with the rings is they definitely get banged up after prolonged use. They gain semi-noticeable scratches and dings, and the whatever coating that makes them black seems to be slowly wearing off with use. Besides this, I have enjoyed the ring set immensely.

Routine - I find the routine to be really enjoyable. It's long enough to keep an audience captive for quite a while, and you don't need to be afraid of repeating moves if people ask you to do so. The level of interactivity that Josh added into the routine is fantastic. Being able to have the spectator themselves penetrate the rings is difficult to accomplish, but unbelievably impressive! The penetrations themselves look significantly better than most other routines, and it definitely makes people question whether or not they REALLY know how the rings work. The spin and the flourishes look equally as impressive (with practice) and add a level of beauty and elegance that not all ring routines have. I think the routine is masterfully crafted, and combines more traditional methods, and newer, more innovative moves.

Reactions - Audience reactions with this effect, like many other magic effects, are varied. There are many times when I get very positive reactions, and people seem very impressed, but when performing the routine on the street I tend to get a more than normal amount of hecklers because the routine is fairly familiar and many people know the secret (or think and will assert that they do). If you want to perform the routine, you need to be prepared for people that will insist that you let them examine your rings, or to show them where the gap is. If you develop your technique enough, though, you will definitely get less people heckling you, and more people being impressed.

Tips - What has helped me with this routine above all is following Joshua Messado's technique to-a-T (and frequently re-watching the DVD), but developing a unique patter. You just have to really perfect your technique for this trick to be impressive and of any value.

Rating - 4/5
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I've been using these rings for about two months now. I can't put them down. I think the whole set and DVD is masterful. I agree with 7Hexagon on his review except that my rings don't seem to scratch or ding at all. Maybe they went to Tungston steel or something.
Great Rings in my eyes.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Mesado's work looks really great!
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I have the ninja rings and Messado rings. I much more prefer the Black Messado rings.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
7Hexagon
View Profile
New user
Arizona
8 Posts

Profile of 7Hexagon
To prevent further scratching of the rings, Messado suggests to coat them in matte finish hoof hardener.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I don't have any problem with chipping, I use them every day and they still look brand new. Not sure what you guys are doing to the rings to bang them up so much. I even tried to nick or scratch mine and nothin. Maybe its tungston?
Any way, I love these rings.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
MIne are definitely scratched up but that's what gives them character, I think...they look even more bada$$
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2014, 7Hexagon wrote:
To prevent further scratching of the rings, Messado suggests to coat them in matte finish hoof hardener.

Does anyone know where to get this stuff? I can't find it anywhere.
-Sean.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Is it still possible to get these rings? I know a number of posted about not being able to find them for sale anywhere. I assume the DVD/download is still available?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1656 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I believe Ellusionist is now shipping the rings. The DVD is available.

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Joshua Messado Rings (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL