The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 73: Mind and Matter – Stephen Minch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 73: Mind and Matter – Stephen Minch

AD:

A complete departure from the standard books on mentalism, this book deals with Psychokinesis or Telekenisis. The ability to move or alter physical objects by willing it with your mind is something an audience will really get excited about. Bend metals, alter the shape of matter, move inanimate objects, interrupt radio waves, and much more. Simple, yet mind-boggling experiments which are suited to the expert on extrasensory perception.

REVIEW:

Published by Micky Hades during the Geller era. The book includes effects with everyday objects such as keys, pens, flowers, nails etc, achieved through a variety of (well-known) methods but with a common intent: demonstrating the performer’s paranormal skills.

Most of the effects are outdated (“the spectator selects a page number by taking a poker chip from a clear bag held by a bulldog clip etc”), but some concepts and psychological tidbits are still valid and could be incorporated into your existing routines.

H.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2003-12-10 07:09, Harvey Nerzof wrote:
HN Review 73: Mind and Matter Stephen Minch

Most of the effects are outdated (“the spectator selects a page number by taking a poker chip from a clear bag held by a bulldog clip etc), but some concepts and psychological tidbits are still valid and could be incorporated into your existing routines.

I absolutely love the ideas in this book, but a lot of the routines exist on 70s style pseudoscience that has been thoroughly debunked and generally forgotten by the general public. I realize that many pseudosciences are thoroughly debunked on a regular basis, but the concepts in the book have went the way of "pyramid power" as far as a general audience's interests.

Other routines are 70's updates on older favorites (specifically seance routines that have been modified to "scientifically" test psychic phenomenon). I was excited the first few times I read this book, but became discouraged in how to apply Minch's unique material to a more contemporary act.

There are a lot of ideas there, and it's an excellent find for bizarre magicians as well. I'd love a gentel nudge in a good direction to take some of these outdated, but otherwise brilliant routines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 73: Mind and Matter – Stephen Minch (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL