The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where do I get a quality wand that won't break the bank? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2013-08-23 01:45, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
Hmm. I should give that a try. Wouldn't have to worry about dropping it. How's the weight for wand spins ?

Probably better than most wooden wands. It's a heavy beast. Also great for rapping knuckles.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yeah. My wife was mad enough when I spun my 5oz wand when I was learning. CRASH!!! Sent outside to practice on more than a few occasions.
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
Brian Cook at http://www.magiccrafter.com/ makes high quality props at reasonable prices. Contact him through his site, and you can have him make a wand to your specifications. I had Brian make me a cocobolo wand a couple of years ago, and after two years of use it still looks as beautiful as the day I got it.

-Leo
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love Brian's work. From my dealings with him, his whole attitude and philosophy regarding his love and commitment to this art is nothing but inspiring and refreshing.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
You could always make your own from wooden dowels found at your local hardware store. These dowels are made from oak, different diameters, and can be cut at your desired length. Paint the ends to your desired color and then stain them any color you want.

Have fun folks,
Keith
manananmaclir
View Profile
New user
Port Hadlock
60 Posts

Profile of manananmaclir
If you went the dowel route one of the posters suggested using .38 Special brass for the ends, which would make it look a bit more finished. Could use it to conceal a magnet or weight too if needed. I would suggest some kind of protective finish, though. Brass cartridge cases tarnish.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I suggest using either a polyester wand or a wand with wood ends so you don't beat up your metal cups.

I collect wands...I must have around 50 of them, and THE BEST is the wand I had Joe Porper make for me. NOT INEXPENSIVE...but WORTH EVERY PENNY!!
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
I just bought some Timbale sticks and wrapped them in electrical tape, best dang magic wand I've ever had. For about $10.00 or less you have a rugged 'magic wand' that will last you for a long time and is easily and cheaply replaced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275G8DY
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Re: Cartridge cases --

You can find cartridge cases that are nickel plated. They are quite common.

Or (and here is a really radical idea) you can CLEAN them once in a while. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel

I do like the oak dowel with the peppermint stick stripe. Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
After I broke my favorite wooden wand, I obtained my replacement from Ace hardware. It's a 12" bit of brass tube (precut) with copper caps glued to the end. It's darn-near indestructible, the tube (if you choose not to glue the ends as I have) have some uses, it has a very pleasing bit of heft, and I particularly like the look.

The fact that it took about $6 and 15 minutes to make didn't hurt, either.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
325 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Hello Juggler (from Anchorage) Mike (from Juneau)says Hi...
I own three types of Wands,...1)Wooden Wand from Cambodia 16 in. which I cut down to 14 in and tried (poorly)to paint it.Perfect weight for spins and won't damage your Cups.$15.00 at Penguin when in stock. 2)"Professional Wand" a two piece Wooden Wand w/Silver Tips (14 in) I bought on ebay.A bit on the heavy side and perfect balance,but the Tips can damage your Cups.$22.50 3)Not as flashy as the others,but my choice when using my Cups & Balls,..13.5 in. Bazar de magica Black plastic w/White Tips from Penguin.$4.50 I bought a length of heavy gage wire and inserted it into the Wand which gave it the perfect weight for Spins,and it won't damage the Cups.
Hope this helps,...happy hunting!!!
Mike
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I bought an ebony wand from here:

http://www.professional-magic.co.uk/magic_wands.html

The ebony are currently out of stock, but I'm very attached to this wand. Recommended, if you are happy to order from the UK.

Tom
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I just found another source for good-looking, durable, inexpensive wands:

http://www.telicmagic.com/index.htm

Telic is a machine shop that makes precision parts. One of the brothers is a magician...and you can guess the rest. Wands are made from Delrin (heavy-duty plastic used for precision parts) with either brass or aluminum tips.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Thank you for all the responses. I ended up getting a second hand custom wand for about $30 from a member of the Café. It has great weight and balance and looks very nice. Best $30 I've spent in a while. Every time I touch it I can't help but do a few wand spins.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I also make wands.

All are made of hardwoods, of all styles.

Hand turned HP styled wands start at $25 US (plus shipping)
Standard magician's wands start at $35 US (plus shipping) for metal tubing tips (ideal for those worried about denting their cups), $55 US (plus shipping) starting price for solid tips. Well balanced and finished in tung oil for a renewable finish, should it get scratched or dented (I know how rough some of you can be on wands...).
Magician's wands are well balanced. The tips can be polished or textured, your choice.
Twig-styled wands are also available (think Fen Razell <sp> in the movie "Willow".

Custom work available.

wizardsworkshoppe@gmail.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've had one of my wands for 40 years. Fiberglass sure holds up well. If I were buying a wand, today, I'd buy a package of 12" hardwood dowels and finish them how I like.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
That is certainly the most cost efficient way to do it, if you have both the time and ability!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where do I get a quality wand that won't break the bank? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL