The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phrases mentalists use that make you cringe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3597 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Just a light-hearted Friday posting, but there are some phrases that I hear being used in performances that are akin to fingernails on a chalk-board to me.

Here are my top 2

Would you be amazed if........
(this one is also used a lot by magicians)

Now there's no way I could know......
(to me this is the mentalism equivalent of saying "I have an ordinary deck of cards")
(or a boxer telegraphing a punch)

Feel free to add your own or ignore, as you see fit.

Steve
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11673 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Tacking on "...for me" at the end of nearly every sentence...

Stand there for me
Pick any book for me
Hold you hand out for me

And

"This is fair, right?" and "no way I could know..."
especially if you then prove that you did...
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1089 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
I agree with both of you Smile

But I think context is also important for the "Now there is no way I could know what you are thinking" line.

It is frequently used in television mentalism to help paint a fair picture for the viewer at home. Often the reaction of the person when they say "no" is enough to convey fair play to the audience at home and help imply that this is someone who was randomly selected instead of someone who could have been researched OR someone the performer knows pieces of information about (I.E Knows them).

I use the word Pow to reveal things now, I hate that but cannot help it Smile

Pete x
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
511 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
In a similar fashion...

I constantly read that one should never say the phrase "Please choose X for me..." when using equivoque. I disagree, I use it all the time, the reply you give to their decision is what means the most.

I use it all the time and it has flown by magicians & mentalists due to the boldness and directness of it.

BUT!

One thing I cannot stand to hear is:

"Lets take this one step further!"

and

"That was fair right?"

I cringe when I hear these, but two BIG names use them with great success so I guess its all about HOW you say it to your audience.

Cheers
Art
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!!!

Positive Positive
Reach Beyond The Sun
The Moonlight Shadow
Star Reading System
Cicatriz ESP
Test Conditions
Planes Mistaken For Stars

www.artvanderlaymysteries.wordpress.com - IMPROMPTU MIRACLES & ELEMENTAL MANIPULATION!!!
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1089 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
I use them lines all the time Art Smile just the way I'm programmed

I use the others from time to time too. What can you do?

When I sold my soul I never asked for a nice accent or good vocabulary ;-)

Praising someone for nothing in a patronising sense is something I hate.

Lift your finger... you're doing amazingly

Pete x

What's your favourite colour. . Amazing fantastic
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Didn't know you used the "that's fair right?" line but I know you use the "Lets take this one step further" one.

Looks like I got the nice accent and you got the talent! hahahaha

Cheers
Art

Positive Positive
Reach Beyond The Sun
The Moonlight Shadow
Star Reading System
Cicatriz ESP
Test Conditions

www.artvanderlaymysteries.wordpress.com - IMPROMPTU MIRACLES & ELEMENTAL MANIPULATION!!!
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1089 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
I have a stupid hair cut now too!

I went to an afro Barber in holland he cut a bald line in my head! !

Pete Smile
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Well you're from Bradford so at least you fit in now!

;)

Cheers
Art

Positive Positive
Reach Beyond The Sun
The Moonlight Shadow
Star Reading System
Cicatriz ESP
Test Conditions

Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
1694 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 06:27, Peter_turner wrote:
Praising someone for nothing in a patronising sense is something I hate.

Lift your finger... you're doing amazingly

Pete x

What's your favourite colour. . Amazing fantastic

I didn't think I had any pet hates until I read that, but that's one of mine. Another is using words that only mean something to mentalists like "write the name on this billet".

Oh and another, "let's put it in my wallet to isolate it".

Mark
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1019 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I hate the magicians guilt when handing out items. "Go ahead and make sure that's a regular notepad" Why the hell wouldn't it be?
seamagu
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I'm learning some great lines here...this is a solid gold thread, that one line is worth the price alone......
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11673 Posts

Profile of IAIN
When picking an envelope "amazing" or "fantastic"

Really patronising! Aren't you clever picking up an envelope! Well done YOU!
seamagu
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of seamagu
In all seriousness I quite like the one step further line
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
1694 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Yes that's another one of my pet hates over justifying "regular items" like over explaining where a magazine or book for a magazine or book test comes from.

Mark
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
I love the line, "The walls, they're closing in! Quick, help me prop up Vegetable Man or we'll be done for!"

But that's from Toy Story 2......

Regarding mentalism, a lot of people hate "And you had a completely free choice correct?" Yet I find myself using it all the time

Cheers
Art

Positive Positive
Reach Beyond The Sun
The Moonlight Shadow
Star Reading System
Cicatriz ESP
Test Conditions

MatCult
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 06:31, Peter_turner wrote:
I have a stupid hair cut now too!

I went to an afro Barber in holland he cut a bald line in my head! !

Pete Smile

:lol: Gutted.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
- Tom Robbins
**The Temple of Cult - Oracles, Tools & Mental Effects**
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
1694 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 06:42, seamagu wrote:
In all seriousness I quite like the one step further line

So do I to be honest, if used well it can give the appearance of spontenaity (haha the iPad auto corrected that to the appearence of spoon tenacity which might be true in a metal bending routine).

Mark
magicman29
View Profile
Special user
hertfordshire
943 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I hate that "Let's take this one step further", it reminds me of that nob rich ferguson from the 'this is mentalism'dvd!

Kieran
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1675 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Nothing wrong with Pete's accent- in fact I think it makes him stand out from the crowd and adds a further layer of authenticity.

As Edith Piaf said: Use your faults, use your defects, then you're going to be a star!

Not sure about using "Pow!" on a reveal, mind you. Those of us of a certain vintage may immediately think of Adam West's Batman. Not necessarily conducive to a serious tone. Smile
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
I agree Martin, somehow "Kablammo!!!!" wouldnt work to well for me onstage either!

Cheers
Art

Positive Positive
Reach Beyond The Sun
The Moonlight Shadow
Star Reading System
Cicatriz ESP
Test Conditions

Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1089 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 06:53, Martin Pulman wrote:
Nothing wrong with Pete's accent- in fact I think it makes him stand out from the crowd and adds a further layer of authenticity.

As Edith Piaf said: Use your faults, use your defects, then you're going to be a star!

Not sure about using "Pow!" on a reveal, mind you. Those of us of a certain vintage may immediately think of Adam West's Batman. Not necessarily conducive to a serious tone. Smile

Thanks Martin Smile

The pow thing was put in originally as homage to a friend of mine that does it with a fist bump and then I got caught up in it!

haha

Pete x
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1019 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
"What I do is NLP/Body Language Reading/Etc."

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense. I use an NLP strategy for a thought of word revealation, but the process is there and the logic is there. What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11673 Posts

Profile of IAIN
A mate of mine who is a good magician, whenever he does a sponge-balls routine, he always says "gimme a gangsta style fist bump", they do it, and he opens his hand and the sponges have changed or dissapeared or whatever he has planned in his devious little mind...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11673 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:04, Chaz93 wrote:

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense. I use an NLP strategy for a thought of word revealation, but the process is there and the logic is there. What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.

I hate it when people claim its done via NLP and do something in absolute silence, when the basis of it all is entirely based on interaction and language...
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1675 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
"What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

:lol:
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1019 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:09, IAIN wrote:
Quote:

I hate it when people claim its done via NLP and do something in absolute silence, when the basis of it all is entirely based on interaction and language...

Precisely. It's the new silent milton model though. Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1675 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
You know what I hate? What I really can't abide? What gets right on my thrupenny bits?

When a mentalist says, "Think of someone from your childhood". You think of your friend Richard from Primary school (over 30 years ago),you write nothing down, you say nothing, you hold your mouth rigid so they can't do any of that fancy l***ing business, and STILL they say: "You're thinking of Richard aren't you."

D*** you Turner!!!!!!!!
Cervier
View Profile
Special user
France
518 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
Chaz93 wrote:

Now, I don't mind those lines when they make sense.
(...) I am not really bothered by phrases and lines as much as I am by premises that aren't thought out or logical. I'd rather say nothing than to give a halfway thought through reason.

I think you have it there: it depends on the context, on how those lines are used.
They're awfull when thy're just said automatically, without any real puprpose. But the can be acceptable, or even useful in other circumstances. For instance, if you say the next experiment is to be done "under test conditions", then it makes perfect sense to have everything scrutinized. One of my strongest routines (by the reaction it gets) is like that. I explain the "test conditions" and when I recap at the end, I can say there is no possible way I can know what she chose and who has it now, "it's impossible, [u]impossible![/u]", because then, the only possibility is for me to read minds.

Quote:
Chaz93 wrote: What I can't stand is when you see someone who hands a deck of cards out, has someone select one, and then by looking at the way their eye twitches, how they are standing, and by apparently using NLP without actually using it they reveal the thought of card, and the name of the grandmother.

I believe this effect is stronger when you don't say how you do (NLP, aura, whatever). I just do it, giving away some hints, but no explanation at all! Then, the people try to find out, make up their own mind and I believe it's more powerful: "he looked at my eyes, you looked at my exeys, didn't you?" or "no, I think he sensed my pulse when he was holding my hand... But how can that tell him the value of my card???", etc.

Generally speaking, I'd rather not give any explanation (NLP, telepathy, whatever). How can I do that? I'm not sure... I just can .
People find themselves the explanation that will amaze them the most Smile
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1019 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 07:48, LCervier wrote:

Generally speaking, I'd rather not give any explanation (NLP, telepathy, whatever). How can I do that? I'm not sure... I just can .
People find themselves the explanation that will amaze them the most Smile

That's the key right there. It's more fun for me to let the audience fill in the blanks as to the "hows". I'll drop some red herrings, sure, but I think it's disingenuous to claim to be using a system when I'm not. There's also less mystery when everything is explainable with hypnosis, nlp, etc etc. Like you, I prefer to let them fill in the blanks themselves.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2571 Posts

Profile of kinesis
My pet hate is when the performer gets someone on stage and the first thing he says is "Hi, what's your name?" The performer's supposed to be a mind reader for crying out loud Smile Talk about missed opportunity - Geez!!!

- I'm only joking Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

www.derekheron.com

FACEBOOK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phrases mentalists use that make you cringe (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.434034 seconds, requiring 94 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [9] [0] [4] [4] [0] [8] [7]