The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Avid Aquarists here? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Lol. No closure yet, balducci.
I bought the fish knowing what it was capable of and knowing that my aquarium is not entirely covered. I figured the catfish would stay put until I could replace my canopy- I was wrong.
They like to jump. And breathe air. And crawl to another watery home. They can travel great distances on land provided they stay moist. So my guess is he's shrivelled up dead under the furniture somewhere. If I tell the wife she won't sleep till its found.

I see. Well, at least check other sources of water in your home - like the toilet bowls. Unless you'd rather your wife possibly finding it in one. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I just did some reading on the walking catfish and was surprised to see that its listed as an invasive species and that owning them is prohibited in many states. Apparently many who were originally sold to aquarists have been released into the wild where they have created havoc among native species.

These Southeast Asian natives seem to prefer deep stagnant water, which may be why yours decided to split.

They will live in deep water, shallow water, mud puddles, flooded rice fields.
All prospective buyers know that they like to escape, mine just did it sooner than I thought.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You don't, by any chance, have a house cat wandering around with a smile on his face?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lol. If I had, at least the cat and I could wink at each other knowing the problem was solved and move forward.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1066 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Just how big was this walking cat?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
He wasnt a big one. Just a juvenile about 4 inches
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1066 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Whew!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I know, they get quite large quite fast. And they'll eat anything.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Still no sign of my Marbled Clarius (Walking Catfish)
However I have two new tankmates- An Oscar and a Peacock Bass.
Both are juveniles and getting along well. They've already progressed from eating rosy reds to eating small goldfish. Half a dozen are gone in just a few hours. The Oscar will eat just about anything I give him but the peacock refuses everything I give him except for live food.
Beautiful fishes. I wish I could post pics for you guys.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon. 55 is a community and 20 is barbs. I find them to be very relaxing. Supposedly they help reduce stress and that is why they are commonly found in dentist and doctor's offices. Of course, cleaning and water changes are not so relaxing.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Tin Foil Barbs?
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Black Ruby, Odessa, gold, cherry
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sounds interesting. I've never owned barbs but I understand they are quite popular.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
You have to be careful, some don't get along. Those nippy tigers. Black Ruby barbs are great, and nice looking fish especially when full grown. Odessa barbs are great, the males have great color. All of the ones I mention are fairly peaceful, not like the green, tiger, albino tiger. There are lots of other types of barbs as well.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Just set up a small Cube with a red Siamese Fighting Fish or Betta for my daughter.
Matching red gravel, a nice pink flower, and a battery powered L.E.D. canopy.
Very nice. She loves it.
And I'm surprised at how much personality this fish has! Im really enjoying it too.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
UPDATE!!
Betta cube has been lifted and poured out onto the floor by its new owner to 'pet him'.
Lesson learned.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2014, magicfish wrote:

He wasnt a big one. Just a juvenile about 4 inches

Is it possible that another fish ate it, instead of it making a great escape as previously announced?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No. He was alone in the tank.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Btw, your wife has still not noticed its absence?

Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5403 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No, she hasn't. She doesn't pay much attention to the aquarium, and with different fish coming and going, she doesn't keep track anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Avid Aquarists here? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL