The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-01-07 19:11, Frank Starsini wrote:
If you think about it, this effect is actually "The 21 Card Trick" in disguise.

I realized it when Archer was sharing the method.

That's more than I wanted to reveal here.... but you're right. If you know the one, you know the other. The Bicycle "cheat sheet" is what you're paying for.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Tip: yo can do this routine impromptu!
Allan Ackermans routine: "Impromptu Paul Fox" is an extra ordinary routine with a ordinary deck of cards without any gimmick. The routine uses 4 spectators.
You can find it in one of his videos made by A-1 Magical Media. [a1magicalmedia.com]
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I know that I am late in the game here, so I will nly say one thing: this effect is the kind of thing that I perform for magicians, because I really like to see them struggle with the answers to their unasked questions! After all, when a group of magicians watch you perform, they don't care about the "what", they are only concerned with the "how"...and the Paul Fox gimmick really screws them over! <grin>

Lee
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ted Lesley has a new version of this coming out very soon. It uses one deck and no "cheat sheet." The ending is quite powerful. One spectator's card is missed. When asked to identify it, the mentalist reveals that a jumbo card of the same suit and value is taped beneath his seat.

It is called "Half-a-Princess."

It will be released very soon.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Holy smoke! I had no idea the PFMG was still made or available. I purchasd one years and years ago from Tannen's probably back in the seventies.

Never used it much, though. So can't really make a judgement call on it's usefullness or practicality. Although, I would suspect there are better ways to accomplish the effect.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
This seems like a killer effect
Lots of recommendations but few specifics
There are so many versions of the efffect that it would cost a lot of money to investigate them all
Can anybody help by telling us:
Are the impromptu versions as powerful as the gimmick ones?
Which is the 'easiest' impromptu version?
Is (my) Theatre of the mind version a good one?
Please
TJ
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Impromptu Paul Fox
I think this is the strongest routine on Allan Ackermans DVD.
Four spectators gets a packet of cards and remember one card and mixes the cards up.
All packets is mixed up together.
The magician finds all cards with almost real magic.
The routine is very streamlined, no gaffs, no sneaky question, nothing strange just a very direct approach to a minor miracle. You only need to do Perfect faro Shuffle 2 times. I recommend this routine very much. This is not an routine you do on the street but on a formal setting it will work excellent.
Heavy magic fo laymens and magicians.

You can learn the powerful routine from this DVD:
Allan Ackerman´s Las Vegas Card Expert & Every Move A Move.
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
Also late in the game. Another close-up/parlor effect (impromptu) based on similar/same principle is John Mendoza's Routined Poker Mental. If you don’t have the “Book of John” or “..Verse Two..” then you can also find it on Doc Eason’s Tapes/DVDs.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2004-01-07 20:01, Harry Murphy wrote:
One of the best uses of this principal is Ray Gismer’s “Foxiest”. It uses no gimmick and only one deck of cards.

Ray’s version can be done for small groups it really plays strong for a large audience. In effect you read the minds of from five to 20 people who have “mentally” chosen cards. It takes less than five minutes and all you need is a deck of cards and an audience. Once the principle is understood and practiced it is easily modified to make the pacing of the trick even faster than Ray performs it.

Archer and others used Ray’s thinking to develop their own subtle nuances to the trick. Gismer is one of the unsung geniuses of magic. There are many people who use his stuff without crediting him at all.

I have used the Paul Fox gimmick similar to Brandon. I performed on a live call-in show. I had five people on the line at the same time. It garnered me some nice publicity and a sold out house! And that over 20 years ago!

Harry,
any more info on this effect, like where is it published?

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
"Foxiest" was sold by Ray Grismer as a single-trick manuscript/booklet at his lectures. He had 4 or 5 such booklets, all one trick each with a single-name title. Last time I saw Ray he was selling all these booklets together - I can't remember if he had combined them into one book. Either way, I recommend them all! Busby might have them....

Peter
Alternative Magic
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Thanks Peter, I will check into it.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jeff Busby was the last to dealer/manufacturer to produce this gimmick as I recall. Never purchased it as I was never impressed with the ads.
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
For who knows the gimmick:
I don't use the gimick and I do with seven people and I don't need to ask nothing. So think about this and who have the gimmick will not use that more. ( I'm sorry for my english its not good. I'm brazilian )
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-12 17:34, Sven wrote:
I have it, and bought it from Jeff Busby(!!) years ago.
I have never used it, and didn't even know that it still is on the market.

My advise: Don't bother to get this. I'm sure that this was a sensation when Paul Fox did it. However, there are far better ways to impress your spectators even more, today.

Without revealing too much, there is a gimmick. If you want to use the routine with jumbo cards, you have to buy another gimmick in addition to what you paid for in the first place.

Sven

There is no need to get a second gimmick to work this with Jumbo Cards. The standard Paul Fox gimmick will work with either.

I bought mine from Tannen's before Busby acquired the gimmick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
WOW!!!
Is that thread still going??? Smile
It is over a half years since I wrote that!

:)
Well, the Paul Fox gimmick has been buryed on the bottom of one of my drawers for a pretty loong time.
Even though I guess you CAN use the same gimmick, I'm dead certain about (or at least almost) that Jeff Busby recommended another gimmick for the jumbo cards.

Or maybe that just was to increase his sales.
That would indeed have been very like him

Sven

PS; I have never used these gimmick, even though most others highly praise it.
I guess I should have another look on it.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Sven, in my humble opinion, you should have another look on it.

Also, while defending Busby would be the last thing I intend to do... my package came with two different sized gimmicks (regualr and jumbo) so I don't think you needed to buy two different products.

Paolo
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't have any idea why Jeff made two different gimmicks. Unless it was so people with limited vision could read the silly thing!

Think about it.

Of course, that could have just been a gimmick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
A little side light - I tried to sell mine on eBay a year or so ago and BuzzBee had the auction stopped for violation of his intellectual property rights (I bought it from him BTW).

I find him to be the single most objectionable person I've ever met (and I worked for Arthur Andersen).

Now back to the topic....
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I used mine 3 times only I think. It seems strong.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
If you do any memorized deck work you can perform the effect without the gimmick. Not an original idea of mine BTW.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL