The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Accessories » » Impossible Devination by Devin Knight » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I received a copy of Devin Knights latest offering to the magical community in the mail and I thought I might share a few of my own thoughts on the subject as it were. Enjoy. Smile

Impossible Devination by Devin Knight
------------oOo-------------

Description / Effect: Using a borrowed deck of cards, a spectator shuffles the deck. You also introduce a disposable plate. You hand this to the person to examine and ask them to hold it to the light to make sure it's opaque. You say people often think you secretly peek at the cards or used a marked deck. You point out the plate will prevent you from cheating, even if the cards were marked you couldn't see them. As an example the magician takes a playing card and holds it behind the plate and ask the person if they can name the card (unless they are lucky guessers they will not be correct).
Magician extends his left hand and covers it with the plate. Magician looks away and has person place a card under the plate. To make things more difficult the card and plate are placed on the table, THE PLATE COVERING the card at all times. Magician asked the person to place their hand on the plate to hold it down and prevent the magician from tampering with it or sneaking the card out from under it. Under these impossible conditions you REVEAL the card. The person picks up the plate and the only thing on the
table is the selected card
------------------------------------------

I've got to be honest here, while I perform a lot of close up magic (mostly card material) I have never done any real mentalism type effects. My magic tends to steer towards the comedic side of things, and reading minds and the like just wouldn't come across very well. What I mean is, having me perform mentalism on a serious level makes about as much sense as having The Amazing Johnathan babysit your children. Smile Smile

Having said that, my review may or may not mean anything to you. However, please know I do recognize good magic when I see it and the potential of any given routine I may have the opportunity to study. Smile

The routine that Devin Knight has put together has great potential for the right performer. The props are easy to use and simple in their workings. To be honest, I was having fun with this just moments after reading thru the instructions.
Yes, this is so amazingly simple that hey, it's just simply amazing. For most, it will be the presentation that will either make or break this effect.

What you receive is an innocent looking set of props and a set of 10 stapled pages of instructions. Within those pages Devin gives us a brief but decent history of similar effects by other creators and performers as well as good sound advice to make this effect become a miracle for you. The pages include photographs to help explain the text and several routines and ideas for you to consider.

I will venture to say that the principle used is so obvious that this will most likely fly by the average lay person, magicians and mentalists included. Quite simple, but very strong. It might also interest you to know that I've personally played with some other ideas and objects with good results, meaning you CAN use items other then playing cards.

The bottom line is I feel the effect is well worth the small asking price and worth ten times that if you use this in your professional performances. If you're a mentalist, you'll want this for sure. If not, you may (as I have) find some clever variations that may well be right down your alley. Recommended. Smile

------------------------------------------

My rating:

Suggested retail is: $19.95

Available at:
Douglas Tilford Illusions
Phone: 1-800-537-5381
Email: magician@tilfordillusions.com

Impossible Devination can also be ordered directly from Devin Knight for $19.95 + $4.95 shipping.

You can contact Devin 24/7 at:
devin@operamail.com

Visit Devin's website:
Click here!

Devin Knight
P.O. BOX 407
GROVE CITY, PA.

Phone: (724) 458-0132

AVAILABLE FROM YOUR FAVORITE DEALER IN JANUARY 2004!

Dealers should contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc., Click here to visit Murphy's website!
Dealers call toll free: 1-800-853-7403
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Accessories » » Impossible Devination by Devin Knight » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL