The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mass Shootings Are Becoming Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 18:14, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Yup- you almost never get killed with a gun in China...

But you can cause mass destruction with a car in India.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHkRkwJvww
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 17:53, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 16:13, landmark wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering if the increase in violence we've been seeing isn't a by-product of exponential population growth?

That may or may not be; but according to this paper there is a direct correlation between income inequality and violent crime. (Interestingly, though no correlation is found between inequality and property crimes, there's a correlation between poverty and property crime).

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/26......69788963

The writing is small but if you read the abstract at the beginning you'll get the gist of it.

Small? How about tiny? Smile

Interesting studies. Still as the population continues to explode, would you think that statistically there will be more inequality created, leading to more violent crime? I know there are no easy answers here.

And look at the second page of the link R.S. posted illustrating the last thirty years of mass murderers, which is as violent as it gets. Do they all appear to be victims of inequality of income? To me many appear to have been mentally disturbed, or acting on impulse. Just sayin'.

Yeah, tiny is right. I'm on Firefox browser on a Mac, so if I hit Command+ a couple of times, it bumps up the font. Probably using Control + on Windows does the same.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that as the population grows, income becomes more unequal; I think that depends on the organization of the particular society. It may be true of capitalist ones, but even then, I think there are ways to ameliorate that effect with different kinds of government programs.

You make an interesting point about the mass murderers not necessarily being from the lower class; one of the points made by some of the people who write about income inequality is that the negative effects are not just in the lower classes but in the other classes as well; conversely, in more equal societies the levels of happiness reported are higher across the board. Here's some info on that if you're interested: http://inequality.org/happiness-and-inequality-study/
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Another good read and the following is a telling quote:

"Americans on average, the three researchers found, have rated themselves happier, over the past four decades, “at times of relative income equality.” What explains this connection? Oishi, Kesebir, and Diener went digging into the data for the “psychological mechanisms” that could “account for the link between societal income inequality and individual-level happiness.” They feel they’ve found that link — in people’s sense of trust and fairness."

I completely agree with this but I believe the trust and fairness issue not only permeates those of the lower end of equality but now the very heart of the middle class, who, in my opinion have those same doubts of trust and fairness. Again, look to those last thirty years of mass murderers. And it's also not surprising that the richest 20% of Americans don't feel any of this; why should they? They're still happy with their lot, presumably working hard to earn their incomes. I have no problem with this. Study hard, work hard, earn good wages and advance. It used to be the American way.

Nice discussion.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
You and I both know that guns are here to stay, and the mass murder weapons are the only thing that senseable gun law advocates ever talk about. Are you smoking old sweat socks again?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Mass shooting in Chicago:

"13 shot in mass shooting at Chicago park...3-year-old boy shot in face..."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local......20.story
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Perhaps there is something in the water that makes people become mass murders, but if there were no 30 round magazines we would make it a lot harder for them to kill so many unarmed bystanders?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 20:14, satellite23 wrote:
...or does society have an impact on our subconcious thoughts that silently force us to commit and forgive such terrible acts?

Yes. That's it, exactly.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 09:40, Al Angello wrote:
Lobo
You and I both know that guns are here to stay, and the mass murder weapons are the only thing that senseable gun law advocates ever talk about. Are you smoking old sweat socks again?

I'm talking about the ones who aren't sensible.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
The problem isn't guns. The problem isn't insane people. The problem is insane people getting guns.

But, no, we can't pass any legislation to try and keep guns out of the hands of insane people and criminals because it might infringe on other people's rights. That'd be akin to forcing people to show ID when they registered to vote...

(I hope people's sarcasm detectors went off there.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I was just talking to a lady who said there were people killed in Chicago recently. Sad.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Gun control laws have made a difference in Australia.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
[quote]On 2013-09-20 16:28, Pop Haydn wrote:
[/quote
There are far too many criminals and guns here for gun control laws to have much of an effect. Criminals do not care and they will obtain guns no matter the consequences, there is nothing that can be done legislatively here in the US to curb the violence. Its a problem with the culture not the guns.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
[quote]On 2013-09-20 19:23, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 16:28, Pop Haydn wrote:
[/quote
There are far too many criminals and guns here for gun control laws to have much of an effect. Criminals do not care and they will obtain guns no matter the consequences, there is nothing that can be done legislatively here in the US to curb the violence. Its a problem with the culture not the guns.

Well at least you're optimistic.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:

The "aborigines" have their land back?

What's gonna keep the rabbit population in check?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
[quote]On 2013-09-20 16:28, Pop Haydn wrote:
[/quote
[/quote
Well said ShirtlessKirk. Smile

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
[/quote

That is crap. Where are your facts? Do you know what the Australian experience has been, or are you just spewing boilerplate idiocies from the gun manufacturers?

Do you have any statistics or facts at all or are you just deliberately confusing the argument with stuff you have heard?

What is the cultural difference between Australia, Canada and the USA? We watch the same movies, we hunt, we have legalized guns. Canada is more into hunting than we are...what is the cultural difference?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Hmmmm...Japan, and now Australia...I wonder what those countries have in common other than gun laws and related mortality rates...

Are guns legal in Madagascar?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
[quote]On 2013-09-21 05:04, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 19:23, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
Quote:
[/quote

That is crap. Where are your facts? Do you know what the Australian experience has been, or are you just spewing boilerplate idiocies from the gun manufacturers?

Do you have any statistics or facts at all or are you just deliberately confusing the argument with stuff you have heard?

What is the cultural difference between Australia, Canada and the USA? We watch the same movies, we hunt, we have legalized guns. Canada is more into hunting than we are...what is the cultural difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_g......_country

US 94.3 guns per 100 residents
Australia 15 guns per 100 residents

The US is ranked number 1 Australia is ranked 43

(Mexico is ranked 43 as well but they have more gang related deaths than us or Australia, nearly 60,000 during Felipe Calderon's 6 year term)

Removing those guns without violating peoples second amendment rights would be an impossible. Perhaps you are not aware on how easy it is to obtain an illegal firearm (automatics as well). Removing guns from the streets is as likely as removing drugs. Passing legislation does not make the guns go away. Making them more difficult to obtain will not stop someone from getting one if they want one just as drug laws don't stop anyone from getting any illicit drug they want.

Guns are just a tool people are the problem.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What are the demographic and geographical differences?

ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
303 Million in the US vs 20 million in Australia.

US- 31.95 people per square kilometer vs Australia 2.99 people per square mile.

Apples and oranges as far a countries are concerned. Of course Australia has less gun violence they are tiny in comparison. New York city has close to half the population of the entire country of Australia.

More people were killed by hammers and clubs than by rifle and shotguns in the US in 2011. Do you think legislation of clubs and hammers will lower the murder rate with those implements as well? Its fantasy to think legislation works in the US to curb violence.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cri......table-11
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mass Shootings Are Becoming Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL