The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best-looking square circle? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Flagre
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Flagre
I´m going to buy a square circle (or similar item for production). I want one that is big enough to hold a large load of smaller items (like several bouqets of flowers or a whole bunch of silks...) but small enough to fit into an ordinary suitcase (and still leave room for other stuff Smile ) And I want it to be "magiclooking" and colorful!

I´ve been looking at Axtells Green Machine, and I love it...but I´m afraid it might be on the large side.
And I really like this one, looks beautiful: http://www.practical-magic.com/component......Itemid=0
But I´d love to have more to choose from. As prices (and probably quality) on these items vary, I would love to get some advice - so if you have (or know of) a square circle that you could recommend, please share!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
If those are the choices we have.. and magic shops are calling them "beautiful".. maybe it's time that someone comes out with something new...

wait a few days...
Flagre
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Flagre
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 09:19, ClintonMagus wrote:
Here are a few to look at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=square+c......tbm=shop

Thank you! I really need to get better at using Google, I´m never able to get lists like that! Even found another quite nice one: http://stores.silkmagictricks.com/-strse......tail.bok
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 10:33, makeupguy wrote:
If those are the choices we have.. and magic shops are calling them "beautiful".. maybe it's time that someone comes out with something new...

wait a few days...

Well, I guess there might be only so many variations to a theme...? But I do agree with you, some of them are not very pretty.

Still confused about the price differences also...do the prices reflect the quality of the device (I´ve never used one so I don´t really have an idea how fragile they are) or do they more reflect the design and brand? Should I pay the extra $ for an expensive one, or go for a cheaper version if I like the design?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For portability and large load capacity, you should consider Grant's Temple Screen rather than a Square Circle. The Square Circle will never fold flatter than the metal cylinder, whereas a screen production folds as flat as the depth of each of its panels (less than an inch thick). You can easily make a screen production yourself from hardboard, plywood, cardboard or foamboard. My Chimney Screen Production (from Hardboard and Duct Tape Book 1) is a four panel variation of the the three panel Temple Screen, and Qua-Fiki's Sneaky Flippy Floppy Production Box (Wizards' Journal #18)adds a top and bottom to the box while still allowing it to fold completely flat for transportation. But your main concern seems to be to get the best looking production device, both "magic looking" and "colorful." That is another good reason to consider making the production item yourself, because in your mind, you know exactly what you mean by that and can decorate it to fit your mental image of what it should be.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
I have the same Square Circle as the one sold by SilkMagicTricks.com. I got mine from Madhatter Magic for a little less and have been very happy with it. The problem may be in the size of the load you are wanting to produce. Great for plenty of silks, but most flower bouquets may be too big. Tommy James used to sell a large production tube that would have been perfect for a large load, but he is currently out of stock and I'm not sure if he plans to carry them anymore. It is still on his website if you want to see what it looks like. You may want to check with him if you're interested.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 02:32, Flagre wrote:
I´m going to buy a square circle (or similar item for production). I want one that is big enough to hold a large load of smaller items (like several bouqets of flowers or a whole bunch of silks...) but small enough to fit into an ordinary suitcase (and still leave room for other stuff Smile ) And I want it to be "magiclooking" and colorful!

I am sorry, there aren't any production items that meet your criteria, as you have posted it. There are different limits each kind of production item.

Take a look at these production items from Abbott's Magic.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Production-Magic_c34.htm

Here is their Classic Square Circle, nice and large.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Class......rcle.htm

Here is their super large Spectacular Production Square Circle.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Spect......prod.htm
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
By flowers, is Flagre referring to feather flower bouquets, or to spring flower bouquets?

If it must hold the feather flower bouquets, then you might have to consider a temple screen, the spectacular production tubes (from Tommy James, mentioned above), or a larger square circle (I like the look of the Fairchild version, but it certainly isn't small).

Food for thought. I produce feather flower bouquets in my drawer box routine, but they don't actually come from within the box (and they aren't on me, either). I also produce a flagstaff in my square circle routine, but again, it doesn't come from within the prop.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Flagre
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Flagre
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 11:01, jimgerrish wrote:
For portability and large load capacity, you should consider Grant's Temple Screen rather than a Square Circle. The Square Circle will never fold flatter than the metal cylinder, whereas a screen production folds as flat as the depth of each of its panels (less than an inch thick). You can easily make a screen production yourself from hardboard, plywood, cardboard or foamboard. My Chimney Screen Production (from Hardboard and Duct Tape Book 1) is a four panel variation of the the three panel Temple Screen, and Qua-Fiki's Sneaky Flippy Floppy Production Box (Wizards' Journal #18)adds a top and bottom to the box while still allowing it to fold completely flat for transportation. But your main concern seems to be to get the best looking production device, both "magic looking" and "colorful." That is another good reason to consider making the production item yourself, because in your mind, you know exactly what you mean by that and can decorate it to fit your mental image of what it should be.

Thank you, that is a very good idea! Smile
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 11:48, Robin4Kids wrote:
I have the same Square Circle as the one sold by SilkMagicTricks.com. I got mine from Madhatter Magic for a little less and have been very happy with it. The problem may be in the size of the load you are wanting to produce. Great for plenty of silks, but most flower bouquets may be too big. Tommy James used to sell a large production tube that would have been perfect for a large load, but he is currently out of stock and I'm not sure if he plans to carry them anymore. It is still on his website if you want to see what it looks like. You may want to check with him if you're interested.

I´ve seen Tommy James use the production tube on the "Read to achieve" DVD but I was not aware that he actually sold them. Looks absolutely perfect, but maybe a bit over my budget... Thank you so much for the info, and also for pointing out a better deal for the Square circle! Smile
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 12:06, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I am sorry, there aren't any production items that meet your criteria, as you have posted it. There are different limits each kind of production item.
Take a look at these production items from Abbott's Magic.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Production-Magic_c34.htm
Here is their Classic Square Circle, nice and large.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Class......rcle.htm
Here is their super large Spectacular Production Square Circle.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Spect......prod.htm

Thank you for the Abbott-links, many great items! Wow, that super large one would be fantastic...but then I would definitely need a bigger suitcase Smile
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
I don't understand why the majority of today's Sqaure Circles don't include, as an option, the cylinder built as a PHANTOM TUBE....or built to accomodate "DRUMHEAD TUBE" loads. ....for add'l production loads.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here are some more thoughts:

You could also make your own Allakazam Hat, from Mark Wilson's Complete Course of Magic. There was also a limited number made for collectors, discussed here.

I own a Mel Babcock Square Circle and a Creative Magic Invisible Paint, and they both are nice props.

- Donald
Flagre
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Flagre
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 12:16, Donald Dunphy wrote:
By flowers, is Flagre referring to feather flower bouquets, or to spring flower bouquets?

If it must hold the feather flower bouquets, then you might have to consider a temple screen, the spectacular production tubes (from Tommy James, mentioned above), or a larger square circle (I like the look of the Fairchild version, but it certainly isn't small).

Food for thought. I produce feather flower bouquets in my drawer box routine, but they don't actually come from within the box (and they aren't on me, either). I also produce a flagstaff in my square circle routine, but again, it doesn't come from within the prop.

- Donald

Good question! I´m referring to smallish production flower bouquets, like these: http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......=BOUQUET They´re only appr. 7.5 inches tall, but I would like to be able to produce at least six of them. Oh, LOVE the Fairchild version. If I had a bigger suitcase AND a bigger wallet...Smile

(I live and work in Norway. Norway is a very looong country with a tiny amount of people that are basically scattered all over the place. I work all over the country, so I travel by plane to many of my shows and workshops...therefore my maximum limit for all shows are two large suitcases. Sometimes I wish I lived someplace where I could just buy a great big car and fill it up to the brim with great stuff! Smile )

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 12:38pm
Donald, the Allakazam Hat looks great, maybe that is the solution I´m looking for. Need to get that encyclopedia. Thank you!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
BTW, take a peek at this video, at the 3:33-3:38 mark. I'm producing some flowers from silks. The silks were produced earlier in the routine, from inside my drawer box. But as I mentioned in another post, the flowers weren't in there. So, that's another way to still use the flowers with the production.

If you don't quite understand the method, send me a PM, so we don't discuss it in the open.

- Donald
Flagre
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Flagre
For the particular show I have in mind, I need to produce the silks from something that is set on a table. But producing them from silks like that is a great idea for other shows! I also love the flower production you did right at the beginning, from the flat embroidery thing (sorry, don´t know the English word for that).
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The flower production at the beginning of the video is called "Hoopla", and is taught by Richard Hughes on his video on feather flower magic. And yes, the tissue paper is on an embroidery ring (aka embroidery hoop). Oh, and the flowers at the start of the routine are Richard Hughes' poinsettia flowers, but the ones that I produced from the silks later on are from a different maker.

- Donald
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I also second Creative Magic's Invisible Paint. Although they are no longer manufactured, they are fairly readily available.

Also, Science and Mechanics' 1960s Magic Handbook has plans for a Square Circle that can be scaled and themed for whatever you want.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Flagre,

If I understand your criteria for this particular prop, you should consider something like a Temple Screen, as Jim mentioned. It holds a substantial load, it will sit on the table once you go through the process of displaying it, and it folds completely flat for travel. When in use, it is as big and showy as any other production box. You can also redecorate the prop to suit your style. Best of all, it is very affordable.

When space is a consideration, it makes sense to fill the stage (and your luggage) with the production items, and not the production prop.

One other idea would be to use a collapsible top hat and steal a load from the back of a table, chair, etc. Add a hat band of your choice to change the look of the hat. It folds flat for travel, leaving room in your suitcase for other things!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Flagre
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Flagre
Donald: Thank you! Found the Richard Hughes website now. Those are great looking flowers, I see there is definitely room for improvement from my tiny production bouquets...

ClintonMagus: I love the Invisible Paint, it´s really great looking and must be perfect for producing colored silks! I´m afraid it´s too expensive for my budget though...
Thank you for the book tip, those plans sound perfect! Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Flagre, here is one that meets most of your criteria, but it is super expensive, and you could easily make it yourself with very thick poster board and tape, with some velveteen material. If you are somewhat of a crafty person.

This is a wholesaler site, so you will have to Google a dealer that sells it:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=45342
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Oh Michael Mosher yer such a tease! Post pics when your done!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best-looking square circle? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL