We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review by Craig Petty & David Penn » » Wizard Product Review 171 - Envylope, Frye's Chips, Banner Magic Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dp
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of dp
Hi Guys,

Craig Petty & David Penn, from WorldMagicShop.com, take their regular look at some of the latest products from the world of magic.

This week's show: 

Envylope by Brandon David

Get it by Clicking Here!

Frye's Chips by Charlie Frye

Get it by Clicking Here!

Banner Magic Trick - Michael Mode

Get it by Clicking Here!
The Wizard Product review on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/worldmagicshop
Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
Doctor D
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
To anyone who's watched it till the end: I guess we now know how much value to put in Craig's statements.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
1453 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
There is no link to the show on that page. GRRR

Correction. There is a tiny little link somewhere near the bottom. Why suddenly make it difficult guys?
Magic Mike
<BR>MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
632 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
There's the full show on a screen about 2/3's of the way down.
You don't even have to go to youtube.
Doctor D....That's satire for you. Just shows Humour doesn't travel.
If you close the door the night could last for ever,leave the sunshine out and say 'hello' to never
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
1453 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Ok but the screen shot shows Charlie Frye and the text on the screenshot says Charlie Fry's Chip trick so I didn't click on that. I thought it was the trailer for Frye's trick.
Magic Mike
<BR>MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
frankvomit
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I love it! Craig saying how much he hates banner tricks then at the very end he's working a table with a banner trick , ha too funny!

I thought envelope looked quite good and the plot is for fire one of those plots that make it more than just a card trick. Don't think I'd replace it with my existing deck vanish of ctil thing I do but it still like it.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
710 Posts

Profile of writeall
Was the live performance of banner at the end a joke?

I'm having a difficult time believing Craig's live work is that hard-edged, aggressive, and cheesy.
Doctor D
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
If it was a joke, I didn't get it. If it would have been the fulfillment of one of Craig's earlier promises (Kevin Parker anyone?), sure, but this... A half-assed performance of a crappy product. I love British humour, but this wasn't it.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3299 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 11:45, Doctor D wrote:
If it was a joke, I didn't get it [....] I love British humour, but this wasn't it.

That's right, you didn't get it. That was "British humour", as it happens. We're not all Benny Hill. Smile
"Jazz is an accident waiting to have happened."

David St. Hubbins
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I've had my misgivings about Frye's Chips which I have made clear on other threads here. But I have to say, I disagree on it just being a video presentation. And scoring it low as a result.

While I wouldn't perform it as a trick ("hey wanna see something cool") to an audience expecting magic, I have found the best context for this is to perform it to an unsuspecting audience, who may be doing other things, in a normal everyday situation.

For example, I got serious double takes when just playing around with it in a crowd, for nobody in particular, while sitting in the bleachers of my sons swim practice. Or while sitting on a bench in a mall as people passed by. For those who happened to witness it (and were not too nose deep in their mobile device), they are thrown off guard, for a second or two, by something that should be impossible.

They go about their lives, not sure of what they just saw but are left with a little sense of wonder.

In this context, it's a nice effect.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Dave and Craig say that their reviews are based if they will add the effect to their professional work, so Frye's Chips wasn't for them.

For the hobbyist like meself, it's been gold as I use it for my Slydini/Roth 1 coin routine.

Horses for courses.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
1453 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The guys missed the most important problems with the banner tricks.

The princess card trick is only convincing because the audience thinks you are showing them THE SAME CARDS. You completely lose that part of the trick with the banner. Why would the audience assume those four cards you are showing were in the original group of five?

The 52 on one card and the long card are only amusing because the audience first thinks they are normal cards.

These banner tricks don't really work on any level.
Magic Mike
<BR>MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 13:44, Zombie Magic wrote:
Dave and Craig say that their reviews are based if they will add the effect to their professional work, so Frye's Chips wasn't for them.

For the hobbyist like meself, it's been gold as I use it for my Slydini/Roth 1 coin routine.

Horses for courses.

Fair enough. I misunderstood and thought they meant no other context would apply other than video. To your point, though, it could be worked in effectively into other routines but horses for courses indeed!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2233 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Envylope:
Very effective BUT I'd disagree with one point Craig made - that this is potentially a better way of getting a signed card into an envelope, than having it in a wallet.

Craig - there is just NO WAY that this beats Harry Robson's Hands Off Wallet (HOW). Or perhaps I should say WHY.

- Not ONLY is the envelope inside the press-studded pocket of a wallet
- Not ONLY is the wallet sealed
- Not ONLY does the spectator have the wallet in their hands
- Not ONLY does the spectator handle everything - including taking the envelope out and tearing it open
- Not ONLY can their borrowed ring, etc. ALSO appear alongside their signed card

.............BUT

It's an INSTANT reset AND can even be repeated immediately!

Yes, Envylope is visual eye-candy. However, the worst bit for me is reproducing the pack of cards from the pocket. It's just the ultimate in unconvincing 'cheese'. Added to which, it takes the attention BACK to the pocket. Some people will get where I'm going with this. For those that can't, don't worry.

Decent trick. Not something I'd personally use because what Harry Robson has produced quite literally wipes the floor with this - certainly from a working performer's perspective.

Fry's Chips - I've seen two of Charlie's DVD's. He appears an exceptional performer but having studied his work, I would guess that there are still very few people using his material. Firstly, because it incorporates a lot of juggling (even his version of Sidewalk Shuffle!) that I'd guess around 99% of us could never truly perfect sufficiently. And secondly, because his presentation fits his particular style. - again, it would fall flat with most performers. When I watched the DVD's, they just basically made me think of that age-old saying "well even if I had 20 years to perfect Charlie's routines, the best that I'd ever be is a second rate copy". Now, I'm guessing that this uses a very similar to an idea incorporated into Charlie's plate juggling routine; in which case, there would actually be just one or two problems to overcome IF performing this close-up (not only in the set up, but also in the deployment). At the end of the day, this effect is just 'show-boating' - and you need to have a particular style, and a lot of performing experience, to pull that off effectively.

Banner Magic Trick:
Dave actually had some good ideas around trade-show promotions by using a banner - but let's be honest, this is utter junk if performed as a magic trick. Just to add Craig that the concept of 'The Prince's Card Trick' principle (often incorrectly referred to nowadays as The PrinceSS Card Trick) has been around for just a tad longer than (Quote:) "the past forty years"! Try 'over 100 years' fella - it is credited to Henry Hardin, and was published in T. Nelson Down's 'The Art of Magic' in 1909. I thought you read books! Smile However, I had to chuckle at the end clip with Craig performing banner - a little joke that clearly (dare I say, unbelievably!) went over many people's heads on here!

As for the final plug for iMagician and the audience members being interviewed - does he only perform for the over 80's? I bet there were quite a few damp seats in that theatre by the end of the night. However, full marks to the cameraman/interviewer - it must be difficult getting a corpse to actually speak!
Barry Allen

Mercedes-Benz W123 Series.........undoubtedly, Stuttgart's finest ever hour.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I would say that a deck of cards turning into an envelope that has their signed card inside would cause loud reactions. That would be ideal for working a residency, banquets, etc. where other guests AND the client can hear what's going on. Card to wallet ( Robert-Houdin? ) is a classic but I don't think it will elicit the audible reactions, consistently, that a visual, instant transpo can.
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
I can't wait until someone bring out envylope 2.0 where it turns into a envelope inside a wallet
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
147 Posts

Profile of bonesly
Envylope looks really good, but I won't be buying it because I think an Omni-Deck routine is 10times stronger, as the cards turn into Glass in their hands.

Frye's Chips would be good for walk around, if only to just attract attention, it would be great for street shows, to attract a crowd.
dykstraj99
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of dykstraj99
I thought you guys do a great job. I appreciate the fact that you don't take yourselves too seriously. Very entertaining.
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Great show as ever I can honestly say its the highlight of my week no matter how sad that sounds.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2359 Posts

Profile of Hansel
My opinion in (more or less) 25 words...

-Envylope: Worker, eye candy as his best. Its not difficult and presents with a very NICE
Transposition. I buy it! Direct,Entertaining and Amazing.

-Frye's Chips: If you play poker...I honestly think is worth your consideration. It looks
Pretty amazing. For walkaround,based in the 5 minutes "struggling" and reset,I don't think
So...But it LOOKS Amazing (As everything Charlie Fryes does)

-Banner Magic: If you wants forced reactions like the ones Petty takes at the end of the
Video go for it ! I appreciate Penn's thinking but...naah!

-H
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1017 Posts

Profile of NFW
Enjoyed the show, thanks guys...
smullins
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of smullins
Good show guys, funny ending Smile
Shawn Mullins

VISIT www.Facebook.com/YouthfulMagic

-There will be raffles and more to come!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
2776 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Great to see the A-team back in the house. Really.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
2920 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Blammo did an EXCELLENT job!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8758 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 23:26, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Great to see the A-team back in the house. Really.

Agreed! The Lads are a great team!

The ending to this weeks show was so funny.
frankvomit
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 01:01, Atom3339 wrote:
Blammo did an EXCELLENT job!

Blammo is more than just your common doggie!
janu7
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of janu7
Dear Craig, dear david

Love your show, watch it every week...bla, bla, bla..Thanks

No to the important stuff: My birthday is on Tuesday (normally I don't care about birthdays) but my biggest wish would be the following:

Please speak on the wizard product review to the whole magic community and remind them that magicians should help each other, not rip off fellow magicians. I recognized in past few years, that the magic community has started to become a part of western economic thinking in form of trying to make as much profit with the products they bring out. They started using more cheap material, producing their gimmicks in china, making high prizes for bad products, not including gimmicks (you need to buy a lot of extra stuff) and shops telling you how awesome a product is, even if it is crap and not workable. (Except world magic shop has fair reviews on the products and maybe penguin, where you can write what ever you want, except exposing of course. Alakazam Magic deleted all my not so good reviews on their homepage, only the good ones they published.) So please Dave and Craig tell the people to turn away from the profit thinking and tell them to produce good quality stuff. (I bought a lot of good stuff in the last years, so it's not every one, but I recognized a big increase in this "making profit is the most important thing" thinking. (And tell Kevin Parker, that he only released crap in his live, his stuff is awful, I own some, and one is worse than the other)

Thank you guys, If I wake up on wednesday I will be 23 Years old, and be very happy, if you could tell the people just to think about that fact.....

Best Wishes

Jannis Keller
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2233 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Dear Dave & Craig,

Next January, I celebrate my 50th.

Any chance, to celebrate my half-Centruy, that over the next four months, you can 'save up' the non-card items (that apparently seem so few and far between) so that I can celebrate my Birthday in style - or, other words, with not a pack of cards in sight? Smile
Barry Allen

Mercedes-Benz W123 Series.........undoubtedly, Stuttgart's finest ever hour.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
I have killed more topics with my
5513 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 14:58, Merc Man wrote:
As for the final plug for iMagician and the audience members being interviewed - does he only perform for the over 80's? I bet there were quite a few damp seats in that theatre by the end of the night. However, full marks to the cameraman/interviewer - it must be difficult getting a corpse to actually speak!

ROFLMFAO!! Barry, you just made me laugh SO hard...(wiping tears) I'm sure the elderly here got a kick out of it too! Depends. No, the underwear! Keeps the seats dry... Smile

Doug
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
4387 Posts

Profile of pepka
I can't believe Envylope got such a great rating and everyone is fawning over it. The change is nice, but I don't care for it. Of course, I also hate sponge balls....WTH do I know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Product Review by Craig Petty & David Penn » » Wizard Product Review 171 - Envylope, Frye's Chips, Banner Magic Trick (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.215573 seconds, requiring 94 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [1] [7] [4] [7] [6] [0] [0]