The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » What's your opening line in street magic? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Don't talk just pick a card
Morty
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Morty
I was thinking a sponge hare palmed, walk upto someone and say excuse me you have a hair on your shoulder, or you have a hair out of place, then produce the hare.
I produced a ring sized ignighter for one street magician.
He would cough through his hand and a burst of flame would appear, he would look at them an say "nasty heartburn". That always got a reaction.
AlexanderS
View Profile
New user
Austria
16 Posts

Profile of AlexanderS
I have two ways of introducing myself:

1.)Formal-Version (e.g.: if I get booked in restaurants as a walk-around act, but also sometimes used when I'm doing street magic and "disturbing" someone who is just enjoing a cup of coffee Smile): "Hi, I am a magician, do you want to see something."

2.) Fun-Version: Here I just walk up to a small group of people who obviously are not in a hurry, do a flashproduction of cards/coins etc. and then go in a small routine.

Both versions work fine for me and which one I choose only depends on my own mood. But in my opinion as long as you are nice, your introduction does not offend and always treat them respectfully, it really does not matter what you say as an introduction.
-Alex
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Doing flourishes might help to open the conversation.
May you live in interesting times.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
I know what you're thinking, who is this guy and why is he wearing this shirt. I wear a ****e Shirt from the UK which really stands out.
Mysteryos
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mysteryos
There are a few rules "Pick up Artists" use to get into the "set" with magic.
Rule number 1: Don't approach saying "Do you want to see a magic trick?" answer will be: "Hell, no...what the hell?"
Rule number 2: Don't feel like a king after gaining all attention and be just a magic nerd (isn't that important for an entertainer - but to have the chance to talk with the girl it is crucial)
Rule number 3 (Thats the rule you're looking for): Approach the group with a simple magic unrelated question like "Do you have a lighter?" and then turn the lighter into a living dove Smile or something ... or ask for some change and switch it to a 100 Euro/Dollar bill...
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Loudly sneeze a giant sponge ball into your hand (or a bunch of little ones that fall all over the ground). And, of course, don't forget to use that handkerchief you magically just pulled out of the air Smile
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
markcall
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of markcall
"Do you like to be AMAZED?"
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
I think confidence and proper outfit (ie. Clothes which are saying you are a magician) would do.

After that just say "Do you believe in magic?"

Perhaps that's one way of getting a girl's number. Kidding. Smile
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
I do contact juggling with a large acrylic till I get a crowd then start a little pre show to condense the crowd then do a really short like 3 trick "acutal show"
brittany_killgore
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, Utah
10 Posts

Profile of brittany_killgore
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, Vangel wrote:
I rarely use opening lines. I just start performing out of nowhere. Once you have their attention the crowd builds up. Levitations always seems to work initially for me.

I love the idea and always do the same. Actually people don't love to talk enough before they know a little about you. You can skip this step by doing some charisma.
Dirty Deek
View Profile
New user
Indiana, USA
33 Posts

Profile of Dirty Deek
Your dress (how you dress) will help a LOT. I dressed as Carl from SlingBlade one Halloween and just walked around the streets of Gatlinburg, TN on Halloween night. I started getting stopped by people, so I started patter, lines from the movie, in my pretty good Carl voice. From there it just spiraled.
"Pay No Attention to That Man Behind The Curtain"
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
The term "street magic" is a misnomer. What was once called street magic, is in fact busking. What we now call street magic, is in fact ambush magic.

If what I'm saying is valid? Then when ambushing a prospective spectator the idea would be to immediately grab their interest. Something like "you have nice eyes" "can brighten them even more by showing you something" is appropriate. The same tools work for walk around magic but aren't as important.

Just my 3 cents for what it's worth?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
TimeSwitch
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TimeSwitch
I usually try to adapt to the setting.

At the bar, I will sit next to the victim with a soda can or whatever and do the "a b c d" thing with the tab in a normal voice so that they can hear me. But I don't remove the tab, I pull a spare one that I have hidden in the finger holding the can. Then I casually ask "what's your name?", they tell me and as I probably failed I say oh ok, let me try again (usually I fail again at getting their first letter). But they are so confused thinking "what... I just saw you pull the tab and you left it on the table..." Then I go on with more.

In the street sometimes I disguise as one of those guys performing a poll or whatever. Ask them their name and I perform the One Ahead on them. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » What's your opening line in street magic? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL