The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Luke Jermay - Building Blocks Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
Luke,

May I firstly congratulate you on an extraordinary book. Building Blocks is an immense piece of work which history will look upon as classic of its genre. I've just received it and it was worth the wait.

The phrase 'The Real Work' has been bandied around tremendously these days and often as an exercise in hyperbole designed to separate the amateur mentalist from his hard-earned cash, but in this case the epithet is as apposite as it can possibly be. The information in this book is dynamite to any working performer and at the price, is practically a steal.

You have literally stood on the shoulders of giants in creating not only a book of effects but a book of mindset and technical imagination.

Some of the effects may be dismissed, as were some in 7 Deceptions, as being unworkable, but ultimately that is a shallow conclusion drawn by unimaginative performers that don't grasp the subtler and more devious details of the methodology and psychology at work. To perform the effects verbatim and complaining that they don't work is to miss the point. By truly grasping the principles behind the effects and then adapting them to one's own style predicates the true miracles.

'Stuck in a moment' and 'A remote castle' are two stand out effects for me and demonstrate vivid plotlines and in the latter effect, superb visual staging. In fact, of all the effects, without exception stand to become classics in the hands of brave and visionary performers.

The much hyped 'Out of this world' variation is not only gutsy, but is indistinguishable from true mind reading if performed correctly. If this effect can be pulled off (and it is a very difficult one for sure, but not impossible), it is a measure of the courage and skill of the performer in being able to see beyond the limitations of his craft.

Ultimately Building Blocks is not a collection of effects as to view it as such is deceptive. It is so much more than that. It represents a way of thinking that coalesces the groundbreaking work of such greats as Kenton, Andruzzi, Ford Kross, Docc Hilford and Banachek into a synthesis that is uniquely refreshing but none the less groundbreaking in its scope.

Most will jump straight to the effects, and I don't blame them, but the real work is in the preceding chapters; if you are smart enough to see that, then you deserve to become the best performer you can be. This book has been worth the wait and I for one look forward to your future work.
robin_martin
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of robin_martin
Ditto.

I had high expectations for this book, and they were for once met unlike many other products around these days. As has already been said, I'm sure many of the effects like those in 7 Deceptions will be set aside and deemed as being impossible, and quite simply that's because in that particular performer's understanding of this expanding genre in the performing arts they are impossible. However, to those of us who are willing to put the time in and see the true "ideas" within the effects themselves, this book will pay the highest of dividends.

To luke: well done and when we next talk I have a few ideas to share. Smile

To others considering purchasing this book: beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder
The secret of the mind is the secret of the self.
http://www.robin-martin.com/photorecall.html
Mr_Nutkins
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Mr_Nutkins
After just receiving this book my first impressions are *WOW*, some are the effects are just jaw dropping!

This really is a thought provoking book; it's not the sort of thing you can dip into but something to be savoured.

I've not enjoyed a magic book so much for a long time.

Tel
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2060 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi,

Just to let you know we only have 10 copies of the book left until mid January. So if you miss this batch you will be put on back order.

Best Regards,

Peter Nardi

http://www.alakazam.co.uk
Noel
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, England
113 Posts

Profile of Noel
Just got my copy a few days ago and I have to say I am very impressed. I need to spend some quality time with this book over Christmas but 'A remote castle' seems to be one the standout gems. The theory section also includes some very interesting discussion that will need to be digested and contemplated over.
kilgourpower
View Profile
New user
London
72 Posts

Profile of kilgourpower
Well written and classy! Definitely one to be savoured, and enjoyed. Like a fine wine, too much of it might go your head.

10/10
:smoke: Smile
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Thanks very much.

Personal fav's from the book Building Blocks are Projected Personality, A Safe Anchore, Stuck In A Moment and A Remote Castle and the most useful effect in my performances is hidden under the title of Zeroing In.

Many thanks again

Luke Jermay.
roman59
View Profile
New user
Ipswich, United Kingdom
54 Posts

Profile of roman59
Hi all,

My copy of Building Blocks arrived yesterday.
What a fantastic piece of work, Luke, fascinating to say the least.

Congratulations to the guys at Alakazam for publishing a superb book!

Looking forward to digesting this gem over the christmas period.

Cheers all. Have a cool yule

Mark
nichols_me
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of nichols_me
Id just like to add my thanks to luke for writing such a fantastiv book Smile

Mark
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
903 Posts

Profile of jbadman
This is an outstanding piece of work. I'd expected great things after seeing Luke lecture recently but this surpases everything I'd hoped for. This is about the same size as the Pit Hartling book, also published this year and coincidently these are my two best books of the year. I'd qualify this with 'so far' but we're close enough to the end for this to be irrelevant!

Well done, Luke. Look forward to more of the same ;-)

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2060 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Just to let you all know if you miss this batch of Building Blocks, the next batch will be ready round 15th Jan.

Peter
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1057 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Thanks, Luke and Peter!

Barry
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2060 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi,

Our first print run has now completely sold out in only 5 days! You can now pre-order your copy for Mid-Jan run. http://www.alakazam.co.uk

Peter Nardi
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
715 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Could I get a review for the remote castle effect? thanks
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
A house of cards is shown, and an experiment is proposed that aims to demonstrate the notion of 'remote viewing'. The castle is blown over and the spectator is asked to look at the random mess on the table and focus on all the face up cards and then a single card from those. The magi then proceeds to describe the face up cards as seen by the spectator, and then names the one card they focused in on. At no time does the magi have to look at the cards.

This is an effect that has the potential to devastate as there is no possible way it would appear to work. When it hits, it will be a showstopper. The effect needs a lot of prep but Luke guides you through that adequately. It is an effect that uses clever setup with cunning linguistic cueing. The plot is compelling and provides a perfect basis for the effect which builds up gradually and systematically to a thunderbolt ending.

The only downside is the setup as it takes time, a steady hand and a still, quiet place to set up as one shock or draught could kaibosh the effect before its begun. One small point: without tipping the method, you really can't have the spec look too closely at the house of cards beforehand but that is a very, very minor observation.

A truly excellent and visionary effect that stands to become a classic and in the wrong hands could have the CIA knocking.....
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
I recently used the very same method to show my "RV" skills by having a spectator throw a deck of the top of a building. I then sketched what I "saw" the spectator who was on their mobile phone checked what I saw with the person on the floor. This was risky version of the effect however it played well.

Watch out on BBC2 in the New Year for this effect featured in a documentary on mind readers...

Luke Jermay.
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Luke,I can't understand what exactly was the effect that you did for them...
Could you please describe it again?

Yaniv
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Luke that's very brillant my friend, wow!

Bravo! Very clever and bold like, this is what mentalism should be

Kuffs
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Yaniv.

The effect is exactly the same as the Remote Castle. Instead of building a card castle I had one of the two throw the remote castle gimmicked deck, out of a window, the cards going everywhere.

The guy who threw the cards was on the phone to the guy on the ground floor - between them the checked what I sketched on a pad of paper. I "amazingly" saw what cards where face up and made a skecthc of them on a pad. Much like the orginal effect. Another way of doing it would be to throw them over the side of a ship with the cards landing face up / face down in the sea. You could predict the way they wereot fall ahead of time. Again with the same method.

Anyway - a side note of Remote Castle. I often use the Anneman idea of glimpsing back asking if they have finished knocking the castle over, as I do this I notcie if any cards have fallen to the floor -unlie the rest of the cards on the table. Giving me another peice of information to relay back as Remote Viewing.

Luke Jermay,
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Well I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive...
Anyway,reading about you standing on a building and throwing a deck of cards,
well an old trick comes to my mind.
You know the old Dunninger trick?
The spectator throws a deck of cards on the table.
He discard all the face down cards.
He throw the deck on the table again and again each time he discard the face down cards until only one card is left face up.
You devine that card of course.
Well,if you have the balls you could do it with your building presention.
Think about it.

Yaniv
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Luke Jermay - Building Blocks Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL