The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..46..89..132..175..218~219~220~221~222..224~225~226 [Next]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I stand corrected.

Thanks Anand. How have you been?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
I stand corrected.

Thanks Anand. How have you been?

Not bad! Yourself? Smile
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I'm well, thanks.

As you can see, we've made great progress on the topic. Smile
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The sea level is just where it's supposed to be. The earth is in constant flux. Only a fool would think we can stop it. Next you'll want to tax Hawaii for their volcano!!!! ROTFLMAO..... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Introducing: Eight low-lying Pacific islands swallowed whole by rising seas
https://www.newscientist.com/article/214......ng-seas/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2018, miistermagico wrote:
Introducing: Eight low-lying Pacific islands swallowed whole by rising seas
https://www.newscientist.com/article/214......ng-seas/

Here's an interesting experiment you might try. Find a nice size rectangular pan. Take a bunch of sand and build an island in the middle of the pan. Now fill the pan with water to a few inches just below the top of your island. Now start making waves in the water with you hand so that the waves wash over the top of the island. After a little while, stop making waves and see if the island has disappeared under the water. Now, riddle me this. Is this because the water level has risen above the island or because the island has eroded below the water level?

It's interesting that in the article you linked to, they comment on how multiple islands have not seen much change because they are resistant to erosion and it appears that the islands that have "disappeared" seem less resistant.
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear rockwell,
You are very observant. The author, Alice Klein, of the article didn't have to include that critical information.
Did she? Or other information:
"Sea levels are currently climbing by an average of 3 millimetres per year around the world due to climate change."
Introducing: Is Sea Level Rising? https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html
Sincerely,
miistermagico
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
NASA says it's in 150 year cycles and right on time. I actually read their report..... Sea level is always in flux as is the temperature, rainfall, erosion, and weather patterns..... Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Slim King wrote:
NASA says it's in 150 year cycles and right on time. I actually read their report..... Sea level is always in flux as is the temperature, rainfall, erosion, and weather patterns..... Smile Smile Smile

Since you like NASA reports, here's one:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
"Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal."

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia."

Oh... and it also talks about the various climate cycles too.

Ron Smile
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes .. You are making my point for me .. Thanks. The earth is heated by the sun. Always has been. Smile Only 0.038% of the atmosphere is made up of CO2.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, Slim King wrote:
Yes .. You are making my point for me .. Thanks. The earth is heated by the sun. Always has been. Smile Only 0.038% of the atmosphere is made up of CO2.

No, I am not making you're point. I am making the point that NASA endorses the position that AGW is real and that, to a high degree of certainty, human activity is the main cause (did you even read the NASA link I posted?).

Anyway, you yourself referenced NASA! So are they a credible source of information? Do you concur with their overall assessment on climate change?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain's Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans by Capt. Charles Moore with Cassandra Philips
The researcher who discovered the Great Pacific Garbage Patch-and remains one of today's key advocates for plastic pollution awareness—inspires a fundamental rethinking of the modern Plastic Age.
In 1994 Captain Charles Moore founded the Algalita Marine Research Foundation. In 1995 he launched his aluminum hulled research vessel, Alguita, in Hobart, Tasmania. Since then he has logged over 100,000 miles of research voyages aboard. His 1999 study shocked the scientific world when it found 6 times more plastic fragments by weight in the surface waters of the central Pacific than the associated zooplankton. His second paper found that plastic outweighs zooplankton by a factor of 2.5 in the surface waters of Southern California.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think cleaning up the trash in the Ocean is a GREAT idea! Is there anyone that disagrees?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
How do you think that might happen, rockwall, and how would it be paid for?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, fishing trawlers could use nets to scoop the plastic out of the sea. As far as paying for it, as it’s a global problem, perhaps we could work something out with the UN. However, would you suggest that a problem be ignored because rectifying it seems expensive?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not at all.Your ideas make sense as a beginning. I was asking rockwall what solution he would recommend, based on his political philosophy.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, landmark wrote:

Chain gangs?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about we just raise taxes and redistribute money?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, miistermagico wrote:
... Great Pacific Garbage Patch...
so much plastic available to recycle/reuse as fuel or product... any activity on that floating petrochemical resource? Or what chemical byproducts it puts into the ocean when hit by sunlight and salt?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, landmark wrote:

Chain gangs?

Do you have a serious proposal about how cleaning up the Oceans might occur, or do you not see that possible within the parameters of your political beliefs?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..46..89..132..175..218~219~220~221~222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL