The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37..75..112..149..186..223..224~225~226 [Next]
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I think your question is not relevant to a discussion on global warming. I thought I kind of answered it with the condom analogy. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, but I do not own a firearm, even though I am an expert shot. If there was a 3% chance of me being shot and killed by a home invasion, my first reaction would be to move, not buy a handgun. If I had no choice, perhaps I would purchase one. However I think your analogy is not useful or relevant to a discussion on AGW. A firearm, like a fire extinguisher, is more of an insurance against a highly unlikely catastrophic event. The solution to AGW is not analogous to insurance.

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Kaliix wrote:
That 97% figure you AGW supporters keep throwing around is BOGUS!!! Please stop saying there is a consensus, there is not. That 97% figure is fraudulent and has been debunked many times over. Again, another reason why AGW is a LIE!

If you believe it to be true, please cite a reference so that the results can be verified.

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
Wait, you are arguing that AGW is real. Most people that argue that are liberals. Now I don't know if you are or not, but liberals in general are definitely pro gun control. Are you saying I should purchase a firearm? Btw, condoms have a 97% success rate. If there is a three percent chance of condom failure, would you just play it safe and not have sex so you are protected.

For some, a 3% chance of a home invasion would be enough for them to justify buying a weapon to protect their home. Those same people might reject a 97% consensus of climate scientists about climate change's detrimental effect on their home, the Earth.

Exact percentages of climate scientists consensus aside, the analogy rings true to me. Since you have chosen to jump on the 97% number rather than address my point, I'll assume that you are unable or unwilling to do so.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The consensus is "bogus." You'd better let NASA and all of the following institutions know about that.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci......p8PmrFyE

What's bogus is the bought and paid "research" from those who have tried to turn this truly serious matter into a political football.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Don't you just hate people that use facts to back up their argument?LOL
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

Thanks for the clip, Kabbalah. Carlin was a comedian, but a smart comedian. I think he gets it right when he says that the planet isn't going anywhere. We are.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The one actual survey that was noted on your website Bob was debunked almost immediately .

That the organizations listed put out "policy statements" supporting the AGW means little to nothing about what the members of those organization think about global warming. Those organizations did take a vote of their membership and find that the members they represent voted 97% in favor of the policy statement. They made a political statement to curry political favor from a government that overwhelmingly supports AGW research.

There are many in those organizations that disagree. Science is not consensus and governing political bodies putting out political statements in support of AGW mean little. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and government is wholly supportive of AGW. Conveniently they hold the grant money purse strings too.

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
The consensus is "bogus." You'd better let NASA and all of the following institutions know about that.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci......p8PmrFyE

What's bogus is the bought and paid "research" from those who have tried to turn this truly serious matter into a political football.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Maybe the study that was funded by the Koch Brothers would be more to your liking?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Kaliix wrote:
I did address it many times. Apparently you can't let it go.

I'm starting to smell a troll...

No, you didn't address it at all. You ignored it. I find your comment towards me flaming and insulting.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
The one actual survey that was noted on your website Bob was debunked almost immediately .

I'm willing to bet you have no idea what that linked article is about.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Since you apparently have a reading comprehension problem, it would be futile of me to copy and paste all the times I directly addressed the post you reference. I'm with Ron White on this one...

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, reese wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Kaliix wrote:
I did address it many times. Apparently you can't let it go.

I'm starting to smell a troll...

No, you didn't address it at all. You ignored it. I find your comment towards me flaming and insulting.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

I'd be willing to be that even if I explained to you, you wouldn't understand it.

You'll have to do better than that.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Nice! Bring in the lefts favorite boogeyman. Attack the messenger, obfuscate and deny, anything but actually provide a counter argument. Do you have one of those by the way?

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Maybe the study that was funded by the Koch Brothers would be more to your liking?

Ron
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

I'd be willing to be that even if I explained to you, you wouldn't understand it.

You'll have to do better than that.

Try me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wouldn't understand if it matters.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
The subject matters and I doubt I would be able to understand that link. Too many twenty dollar words. I'm simple that way.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
Nice! Bring in the lefts favorite boogeyman.
If you want to have a discussion among equals, it might be helpful to make it nonpartisan...i.e: don't make it political. If you want to talk down at people from a high horse...well, that's a horse of a different color.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:

Ron

That's precisely part of the fun. The authors are defending themselves from critics who take them to task for spreading misinformation. The authors are well-known recipients of massive funding from Koch.

According to Sourcewatch:

David R. Legates "[has] ties to several groups that have supported or emphasized skeptical stands on climate change while they also received regular contributions from ExxonMobil," including "the National Center for Policy Analysis, which has received about $421,000 from ExxonMobil, and the George C. Marshall Institute, which received $630,000." The Competitive Enterprise Institute, "which also once listed Legates as an adjunct scholar, received more than $2 million from ExxonMobil at a time when the company was publicly fighting climate change policies." All three institutions have published works by Legates"

Willie Soon: "has received more than $1.3 million in funding from Big Oil and coal industry sponsors over the past decade, according to a Greenpeace report based on FOIA requests. Since 2002, every grant Dr. Soon received originated with fossil fuel interests, he has has received at least $230,000 from Koch Family Foundations .

In early 2009, Soon's current biographical note stated that he was a "chief science adviser for the Science and Public Policy Institute" (SPPI). Prior to Bob Ferguson founding SPPI in mid 2007, Soon worked with him from mid-2003 at the Center for Science and Public Policy, a project of Frontiers of Freedom (FOF) funded, at least in part, by Exxon."

William M. Briggs. Didn't find anything about his funding. He's a "statistical consultant" with ties to the Heartland Institute.

Christopher Monckton of Brenchley is a well known liar and braggart (check his claims to be a member of the House of Lords, to have received a Nobel Prize, to have been Margaret Thatcher's chief science adviser, and his claims to have calculated the probability that President Obama's birth certificate is fake) . The only dubious funds provided by sourcewatch were the "Australian Association of Mining and Exploration Companies and...coal mining billionaire and AGW denier Gina Rinehart." While speaking in Australia he displayed images of swastikas while next to quotations from scientists who support the claims of AGW.

Your joke hit closer to the truth than you suspected.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Following the money IS something I can understand. Thanks for the info.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
Nice! Bring in the lefts favorite boogeyman. Attack the messenger, obfuscate and deny, anything but actually provide a counter argument. Do you have one of those by the way?

Quote:

Ron

Have you contacted NASA yet to tell them they're wrong? Now let's see, who should I believe, NASA or an anonymous "expert" on a magic forum? But if you're going to make this political ("the left's favorite bogeyman), I won't respond any further as political subjects are prohibited here. We're talking about science, not your political stereotypes.

Yes, Ron. The Koch funded study was interesting. The result were exactly the opposite of what they thought they were paying for. The study actually confirmed AGW.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And WHICH study was allegedly debunked? The NASA site I linked refers to 18 studies:

Quote:
Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

{List of eighteen studies follows)

There are MULTIPLE studies listed here as well:

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci......02_mrFyE
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hey guys ... How many groups not funded or otherwise not given US currency by US officials are you quoting ???? How many are?
I would say your 97% figure is totally bogus!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37..75..112..149..186..223..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL