The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tdbnz
View Profile
New user
Christchurch Newzealand
23 Posts

Profile of tdbnz
Hello There

I am in to card magic I got people coming up to me at school and saying hay Thomas I hear you good at magic I say yes I not to bad

they say to me show me a trick with the cards

but I have a problem could you suggest tricks I can learn to to do a person when standing up

all the tricks I know you need a table or to uses the ground

I want to learn amazing card tricks face to face to a person so I can blow their mind away

also I want to learn tricks to do when a group of people say show us magic with cards

Could some one point some tricks I can learn with cards to do to people when you in a crowd or one on one

tdbnz
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
Check out the DVD Born to Perform Card Magic with Oz Pearlman. I think you get 4-5 really good effects, all standing, and all with a deck of cards, and these tricks are very strong and useful in everyday performances, with crowds or one on one. Also, depending on you skill level with sleight of hand, you'll probably get a lot in terms of basic sleights and utilities.

Also, I've had an amazing time with the Card College books by Roberto Giobbi. If you're into becoming a pro at cards, this series takes you step by step through a TON of sleights, utilities, and tricks. Each book has so much information to improve your performances with cards.

Based on what you're asking for, I'd say go with the DVD. I'm sure others will have some awesome recommendations as well.
tdbnz
View Profile
New user
Christchurch Newzealand
23 Posts

Profile of tdbnz
Thanks very much I will look in to that

any one else got ideas please share

I would love to become a professional magaian one day just want to get good at cards frist

thanks
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Aldo Colombini has several inexpensive DVDs. One is called Stand-up Card Magic. Check out his site.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Stay away from an Lorayne books.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
illusionactor
View Profile
New user
New York
52 Posts

Profile of illusionactor
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 08:46, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Stay away from an Lorayne books.

:rotf:

Harry's Close Up Card Magic is one of his many great books.

I'd also recommend the Card College Series, Royal Road to Card Magic - Jean Hugard/Fredrick Braue, Card Manipulations -Hugard, Expert Card Technique -Hugard/Braue, Self Working Card Tricks -Karl Fulves, and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

:-Dave
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Thomas,
There are many excellent books that can help you. Books will be a better reference for your specific need since they typically have a much wider range of tricks to pick from. My recommendation for you would be the Card College series by Roberto Giobbi. Giobbi does an excellent job on the basics and then builds on them -- how to hold the deck, how to shuffle -- this may sound unnecessary, but his guidance will help you get rid of and avoid bad habbits. The entire program is set so that future skills you learn won't require you to change how you learned something earlier. This was a big problem for me - unlearning a bad habit when I wanted to pick up an advanced skill. Card College is a 5 volume series, but you only need Vol 1 and 2 to get excellent basics, along with some nice tricks. There is also a companion DVD, but it is a bit expensive.

After you have CC 1 & 2, I recommend Harry Lorayne books. Harry has an extensive range of tricks that will have your audiance eyes pop out, so with the basic skills under control, they make an excellent addition to your library.

I also recommend you explore other types of pocket magic. Two in the hand, one in the pocket is a great template for improptu magic, as is Cop - Silver . I can't recall if there is a magic shop in Christchurch, but there should be a club. At a minimum, look for other magicians in town and see if you can get together with a few of the on a weekly or monthly basis. You will accelerate your skills if you can find a mentor or someone else to practice with.

Good luck!

Hudson
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Thomas,
You may want to reach out to Brian at http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com, he will have a good idea of what clubs/magicians are in your area.
Hudson
tdbnz
View Profile
New user
Christchurch Newzealand
23 Posts

Profile of tdbnz
Thanks every one your info I will look in to it
lambretta1963
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of lambretta1963
I remember the same when it started. Royal Road put me on the right errr road.
kwatts2
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of kwatts2
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Another thing to think about is whether the card tricks you do know are really only good for "table or the ground". You might have learned them that way, but some tricks can be slightly altered to work stand up - a table shuffle becomes an overhand shuffle...a spectator's hand becomes the table, etc. You may not be able to make them work, but it’s worth thinking it through.

Just a thought…
Jacob3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jacob3
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2013, neemdog wrote:
Check out the DVD Born to Perform Card Magic with Oz Pearlman. I think you get 4-5 really good effects, all standing, and all with a deck of cards, and these tricks are very strong and useful in everyday performances, with crowds or one on one. Also, depending on you skill level with sleight of hand, you'll probably get a lot in terms of basic sleights and utilities.

Also, I've had an amazing time with the Card College books by Roberto Giobbi. If you're into becoming a pro at cards, this series takes you step by step through a TON of sleights, utilities, and tricks. Each book has so much information to improve your performances with cards.

Based on what you're asking for, I'd say go with the DVD. I'm sure others will have some awesome recommendations as well.

I agree with that one. Born to Perform Card Magic is a really good DVD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL