The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown Throat Reading / Lip Reading (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
Hey all,

Over the past 10 months I have had a surging interest in mentalism. I have read Banachek's "psychological subtleties" I have all three of his PSI DVD's. Also in my collection is "The 13 Steps To Mentalism" and Derren Browns "Devils Picture Book."
Unfortunately, none of the material that I have above teaches me the one effect that I want to learn - lip reading and throat reading. Please correct me if I am wrong, but here is a video of Derren Brown performing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgBqqJyRaa4

Now my question to you guys is "where can I learn how to lip read or throat read?" The only source that I can find is called "The Throat Reading Framework," but I am not sure if that is legit or not.
If you guys know any books or even DVD's that help teach this, then please let me know!

Many thanks,

oweosc12
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Uh oh...
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
?
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
The book you really need for this is 'Into The Mungrove' by Saul S Williams.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
It's all based on the work of Cal Lightman. I believe he wrote a book. Ask Santa for it Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
Thanks, I will look into it
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
Hey bevbevvybev,

I have looked, but I cant find 'Into The Mungrove' by Saul S Williams anywhere?

Am I missing something?

Many thanks!
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Check out Peter Turner's work on this subject. send you an pm about this.
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
While a wonderful skill it is one that few use in today's world. I would suggest that you find a school for the deaf in that they have courses in which you have live and video interaction that can help you develop this particular ability.

If this arena fascinates you, you might want to consider other observational skill sets such as Pencil Reading (see TECHNIQUE, originally from Paper Crane, not sold by Penguin I believe) it is an easier method of doing the same. Other studies would include Contact Mind Reading/Muscle Reading/Hellstromism (all the same) as well as Facial Action Coding a.k.a. FACS & Asian Face Reading, equiped with this level of foundation, you'll be able to blow the mind of 90% of those calling themselves Mentalists.

Best of luck!
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
Thanks for the suggestions,

My favourite so far is Peter Turners work (posted by Gourmet). Unfortunately, Peter Turner sells his work for £150 Smile
Does anyone know a cheaper alternative?
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
As the late great sir frost managed to get Nixon to admit to lying to the american people, I think derren came away from that interview quite unscathed Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Oweosc12, if you are posting for real, then it is only fair to tell you that Derren did not use those skills on that clip. Start with the fundamentals (Thirteen Steps to Mentalism, etc) then once you have a grasp of the basics, you will know what questions to ask.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Oweosc12, if you are posting for real, then it is only fair to tell you that Derren did not use those skills on that clip. Start with the fundamentals (Thirteen Steps to Mentalism, etc) then once you have a grasp of the basics, you will know what questions to ask.
oweosc12
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of oweosc12
Hey Tony,

I know Derren uses a variety of techniques to achieve his effects (NLP etc), and I am more than certain that he uses muscle reading & NLP (or some sort of muscle reading) in that video. The 13 steps to mentalism is a fantastic book, but it does not contain any information on this particular topic.

Many thanks,

oweosc12
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hi oweosc12 - please take it from the guys that have posted above (well, some of 'em) - that what you are seeing is a master of his craft, and he is an extremely good entertainer...all that's happened is, is that you've believed his presentation to such a point, that you have created an explanation to how he is doing what you've seen...

the more you study and test things out, you'll start discovering more and more things for yourself - though there are some things in 13 steps that touch upon two types of physical readings (sound and muscle)...so, as derren hasn't published anything you'd have seen in the youtube clip you posted - but 13 steps does have the key...

unfortunately, that answer might well annoy you...or you won't believe me/us...but its there...
I've asked to be banned
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 15:48, IAIN wrote:
Hi oweosc12 - please take it from the guys that have posted above (well, some of 'em) - that what you are seeing is a master of his craft, and he is an extremely good entertainer...all that's happened is, is that you've believed his presentation to such a point, that you have created an explanation to how he is doing what you've seen...

the more you study and test things out, you'll start discovering more and more things for yourself - though there are some things in 13 steps that touch upon two types of physical readings (sound and muscle)...so, as derren hasn't published anything you'd have seen in the youtube clip you posted - but 13 steps does have the key...

unfortunately, that answer might well annoy you...or you won't believe me/us...but its there...

Yes, and 13 steps will get you much closer to the "real workings" than any NLP book you'll ever read!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 15:36, oweosc12 wrote:
Hey Tony,

I know Derren uses a variety of techniques to achieve his effects (NLP etc), and I am more than certain that he uses muscle reading & NLP (or some sort of muscle reading) in that video.

oweosc12

What you may think you know and what you actually know are often two very different things. Derren is a good entertainer, don't think you know more than there really is to know. Premise and reality are two different things.

Twistedace - See?
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I lied as the book I mentioned doesn't exist.

Derren also lied. He's one of the best liars out there. Fooled you.

In a funny kind of way being fooled good and proper was your first real lesson!

Don't believe anything. It's mentalism. Simple methods, devious plots, ludicrous explanations. Good fun though.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
"We're actors playing the part of magicians" (J-E. Robert-Houdin), Derren Brown plays the part of a "throat-reader" Smile, and Tim Roth plays the part of Cal Lightman :rotfl:
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Derren is a phenomenal performer. His ability to blend method and presentation are beyond reproach; even those fully in the know often debate about the legitimacy and credibility of his supposed techniques and claims. I'm a firm believer that everything he's built his reputation on may be found in Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. oweosc12, I recommend you actively study these books for a couple years to fully understand and appreciate the foundation of Derren Brown's success.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown Throat Reading / Lip Reading (30 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL