The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Blue prints? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Looking for a good source of Blue prints to build a few of my own illusions possibly?
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
How detailed are you looking for? Paul Osborne's books are very popular amongst DIY'ers.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
The Osborne Illusion System books and plans are about as detailed as you will find.

Dare I ask what you're planning on building?

Steve
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Its mostly just for fun projects with my uncle that could benefit maybe me or both of us as that's what he does! (BUilds things) something simple like SUB TRUNK then maybe a broom suspension of sorts!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Your going to dump some serious money for FUN. Plans are expensive, but if you just want fun, then try Abbott's workshop plans for a few dollars.

Then after they are built, do you have a storage garage to keep them in with heat controlled environment.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
A good way to have fun with illusions is planning to make one or two each year that can be used as "porch illusions" on Halloween. Every year I try to come up with something new I can use to greet the trick or treaters. Of course, the difference is, after you present your porch magic show, you have to pay your audience for coming by handing out candy. Some of my former porch illusions are in The Wizards' Journal #4.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You might want to consider Byron Wels' two volume book set, "Great Illusions of Magic". There are over a hundred different illusion plans, many are reprints of old Thayer blue prints. You will find most all of the basic illusions, and once you understand the construction basics, you should be able to modify them to suit your particular show.

Considering the price for the books, that's less than a dollar a plan.

Also, Tops Treasury of Illusions is not at all expensive and you will find a lot of very interesting and sometimes off-beat illusions.

As Bill mentioned, Abbott's plans are good for the money.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
You don't need to worry about a heat controlled environment. I have a full illusion show and for the past 5 years it has been stored in my enclosed cargo trailer outdoors and there is absolutely no signs of damage from temperature changes. You can save a ton on your plans by buying them in a book or visiting the magicauction website and look at the illusion plans page.. Pay no attention to the Debbie Downers, and have FUN!! Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Moisture absorbed by Illusions made of wood due to temperature changes can cause problems temporarily. Mostly the wood expanding. Wood is porous and absorbs moisture.

I too used to carry an illusion show in a enclosed fiberglass trailer, however certain illusions were affected.
Granted I live in Ontario Canada and the winters can get pretty cold. But what happened to me once was that I had my show in the trailer the night before on a cold winters night, arrived at the show the next day, and my packing crate style wood crate sub trunk started to "sweat" once brought into the theater. The trap on the top swelled and would not open or close. From that day on the top with the trap was always stored inside room temperature several days before the show and transported to the show inside the heated cab of the truck or car. It took many hours for the wood to shrink back down to size.

I also know that storing wood props in damp or humid basements/garages etc can also cause wood props to expand and warp which could be permanent. Unfinished wood or unsealed wood will be affected more by moisture also.

Just thought I would mention my experience since you were interested in a sub trunk.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Depends on what you have if it is homemade illusions a storage locker is good enough-- if it is a 10 thousand dollar prop I would want heat controlled and insurance on it. I have a storage locker & an inclosed trailer . All way store illusions put togather (not broke down for travel) less change of it warping.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
You might want to take a look at this page:

http://www.magicauction.com/IllusionHotl......ooks.htm

:magicrabbit:
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Posted a question here but found the answer. So ignore this post!

Was looking for the Osborned plans put out that were a blue tinted poster size. Wanted some wall art. Found a few of them so no longer need a link. Smile
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Abbott's is doing an interesting holiday promotion this year with David Seebach's "So You Want To Be An Illusionist" book. We are including all his articles with Tops from "Subject Illusions" as an instant download (html format).

So you get a book sent to you and an instant download with over 100 "Subject Illusio"n articles, but whats interesting about this promotion is that it is two phase. After the customers reads the book and the articles, then they can order two Abbott illusion plans free (from this page - http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbott-Workshop-Plans_c80.htm ) which we will send via email.

This is sort of a beginners illusion making package but we give them time to research the illusions first - through the book and the downloads.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Subject-Illus......h100.htm
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
I inherited my wood working skills and shop from my Father. He built furniture. I have bought illusion plans from many vendors and they are not complete with giving measurements for each detail or section to be built. The DIY requires you to determine some of the measurements yourself. Recently an Osbourne plan was so faded I mistook the scale to read 1 1/2" equals 10". I thought that's strange never seen a scale like that. Upon my inquiry I was informed that the scale was 1 1/2" equals 1' 0". That being said some of the material used in the construction is not clearly measured to give the builder a clear understanding of how wide or long a piece of material is needed. You need to look at the plan and use other measurements then with your scale figure out where to cut the material. To build a quality illusion you need quality tools and a workshop big enough to construct your project in. Don't build an illusion then find out you can't get it out of the basement.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Cowboy5.
The best advice, always given by professionals: make a mock-up of raw materials, so you can check if it fits.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Blue prints? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL