The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bar stool levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Hi guys,

I am thinking to build one of these puppies - the key for me would be to have one that can be done 100% surrounded. Does anyone have tips or tricks that they have used in building theirs?

Thank you for all the input!

JB
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
100% surrounded? How do you plan on doing this? With a leg harness? I do mine surrounded but I use a cape to hide the back view.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Surrounded is going to prove really tough... Lou's right on that. Basically, you're going to have to use a variant of the broomstick suspension/hindu fakir levitation. Which, of course... brings with it a host of problems.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
I was thinking something along these lines (click on the video) http://www.theceswebsite.com/catalog/magic/barstool/

jb
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Of course without the 9.5K price tag - lol
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You could buy Soirees Fantastiques by Christian Fechner and build his stool levitation yourself.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/soirees......er-book/

or

You could look at Voitko's Double Bar Stool Levitation

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/double-......-voitko/
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Can fechner's version be done surrounded? the voitko prop is not fooling anybody... not even in the video which suppose to sell this stuff...

jb
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Unfortunately the voitko prop screams "magic prop!!" to me - I have done full time restaurant & bar magic for the last 17 years, but I have never seen any bar stool looking like this...

have YOU?

jb
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
You could (should) buy Yogano's book and change the look of his bar stool to fit your needs...
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/magic-o......ve-book/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
OO7, I don't know anything about the references I gave, just that, being you are posting in the workshop, you are looking to build your own bar stool levitation. So the 1st step is to find out what has gone before, then build on those ideas. As stated, I don't believe their are any 360 degree barstool illusions. So you will have to create it yourself.

I recently purchased the Wonder Floating Balloon by RYOTA, in the DVD he gives his presentation of this trick that he performed on television, and we find where he was inspired to create the Floating Balloon. He does the trick, then steps back to a stool, and then rises several inches off the stool while standing on a step of the stool. He did not perform it 360 but on a stage television floor. It looked good and went well with his balloon trick.

When looking for the impossible, don't throw out what has gone before, as it might lead to a solution for your desired results.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Hi Bill,

I will invest in Yogano's book that is for sure... Actually what got me interested was seeing Kerry Pollock's version (the link I originally posted) with the cool video that CAN be performed fully surrounded.

jb
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jb, I think you will be disappointed in Yogano illusions, the ones I am familiar with are stagnate, not mechanical. I say this because of the illusions he has sold in England years ago that were advertised in the Info Magazine.

Maybe you can find a Kerry Pollock used one, or see if he will sell you plans so you can build one yourself.

Failing that I gave you the reference to the famous "Soirees Fantastiques" illusion plans book by Christian Fechner. Kerry Pollock said in his ad that is where he started to create his version of the surrounded stool illusion. I do not remember when Christian Fechner was selling his stool years ago, if it was designed to be performed surrounded.

The book is expensive, but that is because it was expensive to begin with years ago when it came out. So now do to availability, it is even more expensive.

Outside of that, look to used illusion market. I don't really think an owner of the Pollock version would be willing to sell the working of the stool, that is even if a purchaser can figure it out.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Actually now I will have to pull out the Fechner plan, I believe his version can be done surrounded as there is no external seat to sit on etc. There is (from memory) just a heel hook-up. From what I also understand it can be a little dangerous to perform.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well Blair, I'm sure James Bond would appreciate your input and any advice you can give him in regards to this illusion being you have the plans.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Just sent an PM to Marshall

Btw - Marshall your http://www.ShaZzamShow.com site from your signature has a phishing alert from Google on it - just to let you know...

JB
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Thanks for the note about the site, Google also sent me the alert. They must really be checking up as I have seen several other magic sites with the same notice recently.

Back to the bar stool, I pulled the book out last night.

According to Fechner's criteria he wanted it viewable from all angles, and from the set-up/hook up, and photos in the book, it would seem to have been so.

There are several warnings about trying to build it, and from a technical point of view, with all the experimentation you would have to do, and number of prototypes you would have to build (to test it for your own body configuration). I believe the costs would be extremely excessive. Fechner was a VERY wealthy man, and had the best in technical back-up.

As far as the danger, there are several points that you actually cannot be released during the performance, including the highest point. Fechner took the chance, as he had a full crew with him. You can just imagine how many guys it would take to get someone down from that height and with that angle and you being "locked" into it.

Anyway that is the feedback I can give.

JB I will get back to you re. your p.m. a little later.

Blair
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
K Smile
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Blair BTW I had a similar message on my site about 18 months ago - I had no clue what was going on until I spoke to my hosting company their server got hacked and automatically all the sites hosted on that server got a phishing from google notice just like yours. the hosting company after they repaired the breach, just called google and within few days it was gone... so talk to your hosting company...

FYI

JB
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
I beleive YOGANO has something like this.
roberthoudin
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of roberthoudin
A few points. The Kerry Pollock levitation is an improvement on the Fechner method, and to this date the only method one can use completely surrounded. I have see versions of the Yogano bar stools being performed surrounded (or on a spinning base.... Which is really silly since why would you be able to levitate yourself magically, but need a motorized spinning base to spin yourself while in mid air? Are these performers' magical powers unidirectional?... Or don't they realize they are telegraphic-ing their spectators the fact that they found out how to dis simulate the levitation but not yet the spinning component?) but the performer must use black art or something like a scarve to hide the rod that pushes the sit up.... Also because the stools that do not use Christian Fechner's principle use the bar stool seat as part of the process, they need to create a bar stool that can hide this purpose built sit.... Hence no bar stool that follows this approach looks natural.
The Christian Fechner method is the most natural looking. Anyone who has seen a video of Chritin performing his FIM act, or has a copy of his book understands the genius of the idea behind the piece: a magician arrives magically in what looks like an ordinary looking living room and interact magically with ordinary looking objects in that living room. The bar stool is as innocent has possible in that setting it is this ordinary setting and this extraordinary effects that happen with simple objects that makes the whole experience so unique to watch. Now, I strongly object against anyone feeling they can share with others Christian's secret by email etc... 1) The manufacturing and performing rights are held by Christian's estate.. 2) only exception was to buy the Soirées Fantastiques books from George's Proust or Joe Stevens. In doing so, one would not only get the most detailed plan to built the corresponding illusions along with tips from Christian, but would get an education on illusion principles and the thinking that went into developing each piece. But the most amazing lessons come from the creativity and problems solving ideas that went into building the act at a time when technology was far more different today. I own both the English and French sets and these are among the best books on illusions that I ever invested in. I recommend thorough reading of the original material before figuring out how new motorizations options can be substituted, and how some of the harnesses built for newer illusions (like the one performed backward with one foot on the ground) could be used to simplify the construction today. Or make the investment with Kerry Pollock's version as, I believe, he received the authorization from Christian's team to build each piece on demand.

Building the Yogano levitation would be easier for sure (I did the English translation) but you would still need toms elect modern alternatives to some of the components that were used when the first models were built. But you will lose on angle and on the naturally looking aspects of the prop and the position...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bar stool levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL