The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2013 entrée: Paul Romhany » » Ethics » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Do you think ethics are important in magic and do you think young kids getting involved with magic are learning them? If not, what can be done about it?
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Hi Mick
Ethics are VITAL to the survival of magic, and not only in younger performers. There are some older folks in magic that need to learn good ethics. This is where the magic clubs need to take more action. I know in New Zealand they take action and that is a good thing. The Internet seems to have changed magic both good and bad. Bad in that people think if something is online then they can take it - good in that VANISH magazine and VanishLive and offering services to help everybody in magic, as well as tackle the ethics question.

There are some great examples of 'lack of ethics' here in Vancouver that I've discovered since arriving. One guy is actually posting online that his prices as cheaper than magician x (and names the magician) and he'll do what this magician x does for $250 he'll do for $50. These guys just don't care. What will happen is they will eventually go out of business but in the meantime they are hurting all the others who have worked hard to establish good work ethics.

If we get the ethics sorted out at a younger age then hopefully we won't have as much trouble down the road. I would like to see magic clubs and organisations take more action.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2013 entrée: Paul Romhany » » Ethics » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL