The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Melt by Matthew Johnson (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Just purchased and watched the video. I think it is well done, clever, and is definitely something I will use.

Thanks!

Jim
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 12:47, Acar wrote:
Funny enough, Matt HIMSELF released a version of this trick years ago. Even then it was good, but Melt is where that effect has evolved after all these years.

I'm sure others have played with this principle before (even I have), but the handling and execution of Melt makes it a worker. Yes, I'd absolutely do this walk-around.

"Funny enough, Matt HIMSELF released a version of this trick years ago. Even then it was good, but Melt is where that effect has evolved after all these years."

Acar,

I'm glad I stumbled across this post of yours. Earlier today, when I first saw the ad (in an email that I received from Penguin Magic), I took a look at the video and, discovering nothing that seemed different from his original version published on his "The Secret Art of Monkey Business" DVD (i.e., "Card Through Bill - A marketed effect that has become one of Matthew's best sellers is taught for the first time on DVD."), I summarily passed on this latest offering. Now, having read your assurances that the "Melt" effect is different (improved?) from his original "Card Through Bill" effect, I just now went on line and purchased the "Melt" download.

Mike

P.S. Update: I just now downloaded this "Melt" video download and opened it up, and, while I have not yet watched the video, I am immediately impressed to discover that the video explanation for this single effect is over 22 minutes long! Typical of Matthew Johnson in his penchant for thoroughness in explanation. (Signing off and heading back to now watch the effect.)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
For $5, you can't go wrong...great effect, I'll use it for sure.
pikass
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of pikass
Is there an advantage in using a blue backed card instead of a red one?
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Can anyone who have this confirm that this can be done with a namecard instead of a playing card?
I will be interested
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Made this up using a bank card, changed the handling slightly and it works really well.....

Borrow a bank note and melt your bank card through it.....

great stuff Matt... I like your thinking

best

R
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Maps,

This can be done with a Namecard/Business card for sure Smile

Glad everyone is having fun with it.

MJ
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Matt, you severely underpriced this---this effect is worth much more! Smile

Regards,
Mike
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Rabid
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 12:03, insight wrote:
Matt, you severely underpriced this---this effect is worth much more! Smile

Regards,
Mike

I'll second that...it really is a very good effect and I'd have been happy paying more for it. Looking forward to making one up.

Steph
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
Having too much fun to have more than
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
It was mentioned that it ties up a full deck and the deck is in play; a noteworthy consideration before buying.
However, I'm not so inconvenienced by tricks that rely on gaffed cards anymore. My solution is to simply to carry two decks; one standard deck and one deck that has a few gaffes in it. I spent plenty time thinking of the "in's & out's" for each routine that involves this deck. It allows for some pretty incredible miracles.
I think laypeople will love this trick and I plan on adding this to my gaffes deck right away.

BTW - If you think about it, with only a slight modification to the gaffed card, you can go into "Torched and Restored" or "Heinstien's Dream" after performing "Melt". (PM me for details)

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 6:22pm
I always thought most magicians used two decks and a simple deck switch anyway. Old principal, right?
DavidLeeMagic.com
"...but we're magicians, and enjoy lying" -James Brown
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
It doesn't tie up a deck.
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
I own this, and to be fair I would say that it does tie up the deck because of the card(s) placement. (I don't want to say much more)
However, you don't just have to use it as a one-off, you can add other gaffes to the deck, etc...
DavidLeeMagic.com
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I downloaded it but it almost 10 bucks now.
Tried with my name card and a plastic note and it works really well.I liked it.
Thanks Matt
Visit my website
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
It doesn't tie up the deck if you know how to get in and out of things.

If you don't know how to get in and out of things then OK it will tie up the deck.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Love this...his thoroughness in teaching is great...
MeHitDrum
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of MeHitDrum
I know what you mean John and yes, it's easy enough to palm off the gaff and half pass the bottom ...., but for me it's just less work to have all my gaffed cards (A. Waltz, T&R, Card Warp, "Melt", etc,) in one deck and routine the tricks so they don't interfere with each other. In my case it happens to be Sankey’s “In a Flash” deck. When I’m done with “flash” I have a reason to ditch the deck and move on to non-card stuff.

So yes, that deck is gaffed to the hilt, but I’ve found ways merge tricks or go from one to the next. I’ll admit it might not work for everyone, but for me it works well. Also, I’m never worried about messing up any stack with my other “clean” deck. Just thought I’d share my 2cents.

BTW- Thanks so much for sharing “Melt” with the community Matthew.
DavidLeeMagic.com
magicPhred
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of magicPhred
I do not own this trick, but I suspect the comment that 'it works just fine with the new Canadian bills' is a bit misleading. If I am wrong, I will have renewed interested in the effect.

Not because of the plastic material, but because they are see through in sections. http://www.chfi.com/files/5-dollar-10-dollar-1-637x423.jpg . On the right side in this pic, and the around the maple leaf on the left.

Has anyone actually tried it with these bills? Would you have to somehow stay away from the window? Can that really be done without it looking really suspicious? 'Watch be put this card though this bill way over on this side, while carefully staying away from these see-through sections...
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Our currency also has see through section but fortunately,it's at one end of the note.By choreographing your moves,you can stay away from those areas.
You don't have to move the card too much to convince the audience that it's through the money.There are the up and down and slightly to the left and right
Visit my website
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
MagicPhred. Maps is quite right, there is more than enough room on the Canadian Bills to do the effect. Remember, you are pushing the card through the bill, that's the magic. Where it goes through the bill is not important as long as the same effect is achieved.

If you are still uncomfortable pushing a playing card through the bill, you can (as others have suggested) push your business card through the bill and hand out your business card afterwards. Business cards are generally quite a bit narrower than playing cards which would give you even more room to play with but I don't think you will have a problem.

Hope that helps Smile

MJ
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
I realise its still cheap but doubled in price within a week?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Melt by Matthew Johnson (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL