The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hellophane by Dan Huffman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Richmond, Virginia
706 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
How viable is it for walk-around magic at a restaurant? I don't want to take the time to learn something that has a long or clumsy reset. Based on comments, I can see that it doesn't take much pocket space for the gimmick. I don't mind buying it if it has potential for walk-around.

Thanks.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1290 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 23:04, MichaelDouglas wrote:
How viable is it for walk-around magic at a restaurant? I don't want to take the time to learn something that has a long or clumsy reset. Based on comments, I can see that it doesn't take much pocket space for the gimmick. I don't mind buying it if it has potential for walk-around.

Thanks.

They discuss a method on the download where everything is contained in the book of matches you use to burn the hole. Set up takes half a second.

For most of the restorations, you need a new gimmick for each performance but it could still work nicely for walk around. They also teach a restoration where you can continually reuse the same gimmick.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Special user
So. San Francisco, CA
744 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Nothing clumsy about this to me, very simple to pre set up & to me should be good for walk around / restaurant work. You could easily have a few match books with gimmicks set to go !

This one really does seem to be a simple yet great visual impact effect. I bought it because there are so many things in cellophane wrapping & plastic bottles, etc that someone would have on them for you to borrow & return. Always gets a great reaction that way !
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1328 Posts

Profile of Piz
Just wow, I buy the effect, it clearly says $4.95 when I purchased it, I get to check-out and it's telling me I own $9.95??? I go back to the trick and it's now $9.95. I literally just booted up the computer, so it's not like I been on there site all day looking at the price from clicking on it earlier. The price magically changed at check-out somehow?!

Between Hocus Pocus screwing me over last week sending me false lieing emails that my order has been shipped (when it didn't ship until 3 days after the email, and there's more to the story aswell), and now Penguin, two places I have spent thousands of dollars at over a period of 10 years, I'm done with both of them. Yes, I'm going back, paying up, but this is the last penny they will ever see from me.

Sorry for the rant, but business ethics and principle of the matter is what it comes down to for me. It's not as though I don't have the money, I am well-off, it's the principle.

PIZ
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4267 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The only problem for me is burning. is there any way to use a hole punch or some other object?
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 03:13, Piz wrote:
Just wow, I buy the effect, it clearly says $4.95 when I purchased it, I get to check-out and it's telling me I own $9.95??? I go back to the trick and it's now $9.95. I literally just booted up the computer, so it's not like I been on there site all day looking at the price from clicking on it earlier. The price magically changed at check-out somehow?!

PIZ

$4.95 was a sale price, $9.95 is the regular price. Did you ever stop to think you were just unlucky enough to be making your transaction at the same time the sale ended and the price was being changed? I can almost guarantee that's what happened. It wasn't a "magical" change, just a change to regular price.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 04:54, Xiqual wrote:
The only problem for me is burning. is there any way to use a hole punch or some other object?
James

You could, but I don't think the hole would be very visible without the burned edges.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1328 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 03:13, Piz wrote:

Between Hocus Pocus screwing me over last week sending me false lieing emails that my order has been shipped (when it didn't ship until 3 days after the email, and there's more to the story aswell), and now Penguin, two places I have spent thousands of dollars at over a period of 10 years, I'm done with both of them. Yes, I'm going back, paying up, but this is the last penny they will ever see from me.

Sorry for the rant, but business ethics and principle of the matter is what it comes down to for me. It's not as though I don't have the money, I am well-off, it's the principle.

PIZ

Yes, I know, I am quoting myself...

^^^ I will talk to Penguin tomorrow about this guys, I'm dang sure the price changed at the exact moment I ordered. Sorry fellas, I just been a bit stressed out lately (like really!), and this just added to it, my apologies; not only to you readers here, but to Penguin as-well, I know this has nothing to do with Penguin's business ethics. Again, sorry.

N-E-Wayz

So I watched the video... It's really hard to talk about the effect as far as offering better idea's without giving the secret away (obviously), but I have found a better way of doing certain things here.

As far as the gimmicks?... There are 2 steps in making these, the 2nd step is a bit time consuming, so no, it does not take only 3 minutes to make 40 of these gimmicks. I made 8 in a about 10 minutes so far, I will explain why.

I much prefer the snap vanish, with maybe a tiny bit of very quick hand cover (maybe not). I recorded myself doing this just once on my Galaxy Note 2. It looked clean as he11, from my eye view and also video wiz, it looked like trick photography. The cleanliness of the snap vanish really depends on how well you construct the gimmick used, I have been spending a bit of extra time with my gimmicks as this is the version I will be doing.

Personally, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the idea of having the Spec hold the cigarette box up looking through the opposite side of the window, it looks truly diabolical!

Overall, I feel this effect is better then 90% of the $20 and $30 effects I have purchased over the years, it really is that impressive, and the main word us Magi's look for in any effect... VERY "Practical"!!! Why only $10 bucks at the moment really boggles my mind (let alone $5), but I'm guessing we can thank Dan Huffman for this. So to you Dan, YOU ARE THE MAN, thank you bunches!!! I'm gonna have a blast with this one!

:)

Piz
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1328 Posts

Profile of Piz
This works WONDERS with Electric Touch! No rubbing, all hands off, and you can let the spec hold the pack of Cigs (or whatever you are using) while the off hands healing vanish happens! Think of David Blaine's "Raven" but with healing a hole. I cannot stop playing with this concept, it is truly that sick! My worry is with this being a download for as cheap as it is, it won't be long before every 5 year old on every block in America has a YouTube Vid up exposing it. Smile

Piz
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4267 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
True, I wonder what could be used that gets hot but no open flame?
Thanks
James

Quote:
On 2013-12-28 05:10, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 04:54, Xiqual wrote:
James

You could, but I don't think the hole would be very visible without the burned edges.
catweazle
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of catweazle
You light a match then blow it out, while it is still hot you burn the hole - no flame touches the cellophane.
if you cant use a match or a cigarette then I think this would work, and it is cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCK-DE-ICER-T......67808982
catweazle
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of catweazle
You can also do a moving hole routine before the vanish with this gimmick.
cricketer15
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Australia
245 Posts

Profile of cricketer15
I just saw this, *** missed out on the sale price:P but reviews has been good so far!
Anything is Possible
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1328 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 08:16, catweazle wrote:
You can also do a moving hole routine before the vanish with this gimmick.

Yes you can.

Why this is sold so cheap is beyond words.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1180 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Wonder if one could incorporate this with pen through object penetrations.
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Just performed this at the gas station... Im going to be honest I'm a smoker and I'm sure many of you are not but let me tell you THIS KILLS. I literally asked the clerk for a pack of smokes paid for them and opened them up in front of him, brought out a pack of matches and told him to light one. I then took the match back blew it out and burned a hole in a brand new pack I just bought and restored it instantly HE WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!! I set everything up in front of him and he had no idea. Its explained in the download that you can setup in front of them before you even state anything is going to happen its that nice. They have no reason to suspect that anything sneaky is going on because everything is natural.... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

-Bobby
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 05:18, Piz wrote:

Overall, I feel this effect is better then 90% of the $20 and $30 effects I have purchased over the years, it really is that impressive, and the main word us Magi's look for in any effect... VERY "Practical"!!! Why only $10 bucks at the moment really boggles my mind (let alone $5), but I'm guessing we can thank Dan Huffman for this. So to you Dan, YOU ARE THE MAN, thank you bunches!!! I'm gonna have a blast with this one!

:)

Piz

Agreed had this been 20.00 I still think it would be worth it...I love organic magic like this especially with such a visual restoration... I also have paid much more for complete CRAP... This is awesome for the price...Even at 10.00 this is a steal!

-Bobby
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4267 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Nice catweazle! thank you. exacty what I was looking for,
Thanks so much!
James

Quote:
On 2013-12-28 07:56, catweazle wrote:
You light a match then blow it out, while it is still hot you burn the hole - no flame touches the cellophane.
if you cant use a match or a cigarette then I think this would work, and it is cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCK-DE-ICER-T......67808982
Tricster6
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricster6
This is a sick affect and not complaining about the price but I Think Piz is right these great effects that come out for $5 then go to $10 are sold way to cheap it allows for the kids to go do the YouTube video. I would think that creator is got to value his creation more than this. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the price I got it for but still would of paid a little more to keep it out of the hands of the ones that would over expose it to death. Just because it's cheap to make the affect doesn't mean that the idea is not with the price tag
scott0819
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Ont.
317 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I got this for $5 but like most others believe this is easily worth $10. This could have been taught in 10 minutes so it's really great that P3 produced something with plenty of handlings and ideas as well as a lengthy interview with the creator. Well done.

Also, Acar's idea of burning two holes and healing only one is a really smart idea to get around the only weak part of this effect.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1328 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 09:27, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
Just performed this at the gas station... Im going to be honest I'm a smoker and I'm sure many of you are not but let me tell you THIS KILLS. I literally asked the clerk for a pack of smokes paid for them and opened them up in front of him, brought out a pack of matches and told him to light one. I then took the match back blew it out and burned a hole in a brand new pack I just bought and restored it instantly HE WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!! I set everything up in front of him and he had no idea. Its explained in the download that you can setup in front of them before you even state anything is going to happen its that nice. They have no reason to suspect that anything sneaky is going on because everything is natural.... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

-Bobby

Please don't be ashamed for smoking, it's getting really sick that America is taking the Europian route with this smoking embarrassment crap! I own 2 restaurants, between the two, I would say 30 out of the 40 I employ smoke! Tobacco built our ROADS for Christ sakes! In 1944, Tobacco was up 300 billion dollars in this Country! After the war, Ike made a speech proclaiming that Tobacco was the crop that built America!

My women smokes, my 17 year old daughter smokes (I would kick her butt if I ever caught her though! But I know she does!). Just 2 months ago I started smoking again after Vaping and being smoke free for over 4 years!!! I ran out of juice, so I lite one up! Whats the big deal??? There isn't one! I'll be back vaping in Feb, but until then, I am enjoying myself!

I also much prefer a cigarette for this Effect (by far), it looks so much more natural as far as the effect is concerned.

Yes, smoking is "BAD", but being judgmental toward another person because you personally don't, is ignorant and just simply appalling to me.

Piz
catweazle
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of catweazle
I agree -the cig does look more natural, and you get a bit of ash around the burn which looks very realistic, this looks better in real life than it does on the video - the hole can be burned anywhere on the cellophane - even the corners or edge - looks so cool.
best visual trick of the year apart from envy-lope.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
652 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
What a great piece of magic at a VERY fair price (I paid $9.95) and am very happy with it. Love stuff like this….. I would advise any adult to buy this NOW.

Happy New Year!

Bk
Jared
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
545 Posts

Profile of Jared
I bought it for $9.95 and don't care that I paid more...it's rather excellent!
mikenewman
View Profile
Special user
Maryland. Currently at Ft. Gordon, GA (Augusta, home of the Masters!)
523 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I'm taking up smoking. Well worth it for this effect! JK.
I could care less who smokes. This is USA. Freedom to smoke, not smoke, say Merry Christmas, not say it.....etc.

This effect is freaking awesome!!!!!
I love it!!!!!!!

You can easily prepare numerous of these and do walk around. Too easy.

This is a great effect to end the year and I can quit smoking as my resolution. And Merry Christmas!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
4131 Posts

Profile of george1953
Just downloaded it, for some reason the streaming option wont work. I think its a great little effect for the price.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I bought this yesterday mainly because I kicked myself for missing out on Melt when it was only $5. Smile

This is very cool. Even at $10 it's a steal. The way it disappears right before your eyes is pretty crazy.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
4580 Posts

Profile of bowers
Man I thought I was though spending money this year..
Todd
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
776 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 16:57, bowers wrote:
Man I thought I was though spending money this year..
Todd

Todd me and you both...I am on a magic binge this year buying stuff! I need to work on stuff I already own
SlipperySnake
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Add me to the list that thinks this is great!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hellophane by Dan Huffman (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.282892 seconds, requiring 80 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [8] [9] [8] [0] [3] [7] [2]