The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Johnny Thompson Book by Jamy Ian Swiss (142 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
792 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On May 29, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On May 29, 2018, tenchu wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Good point! Ha. I can't do a faro and so far have been too lazy to learn. I can however do an almost perfect riffle shuffle, close enough that most faro tricks will work for me.

Wait, what?

I always thought that a faro shuffle is much easier than, for example, a perfect riffle shuffle. You are talking about a table riffle shuffle, right?

Mike

It probably is easier for most people. and yes a table riffle shuffle. I'm not claiming mine is perfect, but it's usually close enough to make the trick work. If that makes sense.

Got it, although I'm still scratching my head - a lot of tricks require a perfect faro shuffle (where some must be in/out/straddle ones). I can't imagine doing that on a table, under fire.

Mike
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1136 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
The first print run was noted on their website as 1500 copies.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
If the second run is 1500 too, at a $295 price, it’s almost one million turnover ! I’m not sure if a book has raised so high money in the past.
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Thank you tim and rach for the numbers -- I was listening to https://www.themagicwordpodcast.com/archives/ with simon lovel he was talking with the interviewer about his favorite magic people and some came up just not JT when asked why JT did not make the fave list there was a new GOD list created which was JT and I think JT has the GOD quality as does simon anyway its a book by a (the) magic god -- simes words not mine but I'm sure Simon says and Simon knows JT rocks-- also thank you again for the book numbers. This should be a book must I hope you can get one good luck !!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2522 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Johnny came to Simon's place when he lived in CT. He gave a private lecture for 6 of us and it was the most amazing 5 hours ever spent.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The problem is.. Johnny didn't appear to write any of the book. Swiss did. It's a book of Thompsons routines written down and explained by Swiss. The routines themselves are of course worth the money, and the book is extremely high quality. But I was expecting more of Johnny Thompson's thoughts and personalities in his book.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thomas,
I’m not sure Johnny could have added valuable things to this work. I’m not judging him here because I don’t know him at all. But generally speaking, most of artists are not very skilled in analyzing what they do.
pierre888
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of pierre888
Hi. not sure if it has been asked. but does the 2nd print run of the book have indication that it is 2nd print run anywhere in the book? or if not, does that mean that one would not know just by looking at the book if it is 2nd run or the 1st one? thank you.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1136 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Generally the printing is subtly indicated on the copyright page.

There is usually a consecutive series of numbers:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

When they are all present, that indicates the first printing.

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

This would indicate the second printing. Etc.
pierre888
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of pierre888
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Generally the printing is subtly indicated on the copyright page.

There is usually a consecutive series of numbers:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

When they are all present, that indicates the first printing.

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

This would indicate the second printing. Etc.

thanks Tim for this information. this is helpful
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I expect that the second printing will sell out, and that the book will go into, at least, a third printing, if not more. Richard Kaufmann told me years ago that if a book sells 3,000 copies.....that makes it a Magical Best-Seller, and I fully expect that this book will exceed that number.

I just received my set today from Denny & Lee, and I highly recommend the book for all serious students of the art of Magic...whether they are full or part-time Pros or amateurs.

The Magic of Johnny Thompson will take it's place as one of my esteemed treasures in my Magic Library...it's a FABULOUS Book!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
As a follow-up to my post above, having poured through the book's content the past two days, let me add this without hesititation:

THIS IS THE FINEST MAGIC BOOK THAT I OWN OR HAVE EVER SEEN.......PERIOD.

It's almost like having Johnny sitting by your side and walking through every single subtle nuance and detail of his Magic.

Again, if you are a serious student of the art of Magic....do yourself a favor..........BUY IT!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3352 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Rainboguy wrote:
As a follow-up to my post above, having poured through the book's content the past two days, let me add this without hesititation:

THIS IS THE FINEST MAGIC BOOK THAT I OWN OR HAVE EVER SEEN.......PERIOD.

It's almost like having Johnny sitting by your side and walking through every single subtle nuance and detail of his Magic.

Again, if you are a serious student of the art of Magic....do yourself a favor..........BUY IT!

What page and which volume does he go into the side streal?
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Kissdadookie:

Page 264, Volume 1.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3352 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, Rainboguy wrote:
Kissdadookie:

Page 264, Volume 1.

Thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Johnny Thompson Book by Jamy Ian Swiss (142 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL