The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Johnny Thompson Book by Jamy Ian Swiss (85 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Leo H
View Profile
Special user
980 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Sold out at the Magicana website.
Pedro Nieves
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
34 Posts

Profile of Pedro Nieves
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2018, Ray Haining wrote:
Getting back to the subject of this thread, to sell 1500 copies at $300 a piece would seem to me to be difficult, even though the books are no doubt worth it if you can afford them, but one has to figure that the people involved in this project are all very intelligent people and somebody must have done a market analysis and thinks that it's a goal that can be reached. Maybe it can be done in terms of worldwide sales.

They seem to have done their market analysis right, because Magicana is now Sold Out on the book. They sent the last copies to retail customers on Friday morning. There are still a few copies left at some retailers. Once the last batch arrives at Magic Inc we may have one copy available... I would need to confirm our waiting list.

At any rate, the $300 book sold out in about 2 weeks. Someone mentioned that you shouldn't price this book so high based on the content because by that token Card College (a terrific series) should be priced in the thousands. Well, having gone through some of the material on the book, I can agree: both Card College AND the Johnny Thompson book should be priced in the thousands if you are just putting a price on the content and quality of presentation. It is a fortunate thing that the publishers made them more accessible to magic students across the world.
asherfox
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Just placed my order.
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
676 Posts

Profile of James Alan
We are pleased to announce that The Magic of Johnny Thompson is now sold out, and officially out of print. Although individual dealers may still have individual copies in stock, so if you look quickly you may still be able to get one. Because of the size of the book, we're unsure yet if there will be a reprint.

Thank you to everyone who has made it such a success, most of all Johnny.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
mercurial
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of mercurial
I can GUARANTEE this book will be sold for around $100 within the next couple of years one way or another! It is just the nature of these things. And of course some of the people who paid the full price will be screaming blue murder!

Come back to this thread in 2020 and you will see I am right!
Leo H
View Profile
Special user
980 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2018, mercurial wrote:
I can GUARANTEE this book will be sold for around $100 within the next couple of years one way or another! It is just the nature of these things. And of course some of the people who paid the full price will be screaming blue murder!

Hard to say. David Britland's The Mind and Magic of David Berglas still commands a high price at magic auctions. The book was originally about $80 and sold for $425 in February 2016.
mercurial
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of mercurial
OK. Maybe I am wrong. Mind you, I do remember having the Britland book in my possession. It was a good book but the production values were not overly anything to write home about. Soft cover. I can't remember the binding but I don't think it was particularly confidence inspiring. It is amazing that someone would buy it for $425. Mind you someone once told me "magicians will buy anything. If you were to advertise gold plated thumbtips they would buy them simply because they were gold plated".

Anyway we will see in time if I am correct. In the meantime I will look up the Britland book and see if there are cheap copies around. Oddly enough when it was new I could swear the price was $150 rather than $80.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:

If the book sold out that quickly, there are probably a lot of speculators in the market.

INCIDENTALLY, mercurial, do you think that you will still be around in 2020?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I have the Berglas’s book in front of me, it is a hardbound one. I’m not sure for the price, but I would say it was $150.
I think they will print the Thompson book again in a couple of year.
The book is out of print from the publisher point of view. But there is still some in the magic stores around the world for sure.
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Berglas's book is invaluable if you use it. I will not sell it for any price. Not sure about Johnny Thompson's book as I have not seen it yet.
Jaybe
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Jaybe
James Allan- When you say “we”, do you represent Magicana or are an employee of Magicana? Thanks!
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
870 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Any leads/ideas where this book is still available ?
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
This set of books is a treasure that will give you many hours of joy reading them. There have been so many over hyped
and expensive books that have come out over the last few years. This book over delivers in the quality of the binding and layout,
the contents from what I read so far is outstanding! Each effect is described in detail with variations and tips on performance. It is the next best thing to having Johnny
mentor you personally. I usually dislike it when people say that a product is worth way more than the asking price, on this
occasion it is and you can see why it is selling for $300 which I would say is fair.

If you are on the fence about this book and can afford it , you will not be disappointed.
asherfox
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
OK. Maybe I am wrong. Mind you, I do remember having the Britland book in my possession. It was a good book but the production values were not overly anything to write home about. Soft cover. I can't remember the binding but I don't think it was particularly confidence inspiring. It is amazing that someone would buy it for $425. Mind you someone once told me "magicians will buy anything. If you were to advertise gold plated thumbtips they would buy them simply because they were gold plated".

Anyway we will see in time if I am correct. In the meantime I will look up the Britland book and see if there are cheap copies around. Oddly enough when it was new I could swear the price was $150 rather than $80.

Feel like a troll.
asherfox
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2018, RVH Magic wrote:
Any leads/ideas where this book is still available ?

I cant find one anymore. GL in ebay.
zavon25
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of zavon25
Just got an email from Penguin saying they have a few copies available. Guess some smudging with the signatures. They found about a dozen. GL.
ficklestheclown
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ficklestheclown
And sold out at penguin... had one in my cart debating, and I guess I debated too long. Sold out again... Definitely seems to be high in demand which shocks me at 300 bucks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Johnny Thompson Book by Jamy Ian Swiss (85 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL