The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Holey Terror II (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Wooooohooooohoooo!! This sounds interesting. I like these type of effects. They leave such an impression on lay people and even magicians not in the know.

Will this DVD include your Holy Terror??
Yours,

Ivan
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Mike,

Fond memories of HT2. It was the first "cardtrick I ever bought around 1990. Never cared for cards before that. I remember I had to go back to the magicshop (good ol' times;-) because I had no idea what a riffle-force was and a double-cut...yikes!!
I learned the trick and after that decided to try to become a member of our magic circle. Performing this trick was my rite of passage!
I've been a full-timer now for 4 years but it never dawned to me this trick could be part of my repertoire.
So this thread comes as a nice reminder and a proof that most of us have a lifetime supplies of tricks and routines loooong forgotten ;-)
Thanks Mike!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I love Holy terror (2) Also love the moving hole trick by Michael Close on a business card. It blows people away. From Workers 1, I believe.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I don't usually toot my own horn. But with Holey Terror II I am compelled to do it. It's the type of trick that leaves a MAJOR lasting impression. Two weeks ago I performed it for a regular at the restaurant I work in on Sat. Last week he told me that he had shown the card to many people and that they refused to believe that it really happened. He's getting people to come to the restaurant just to see that trick.

I have had many people email me describing similar experiences. People have come up to me (and them) in the mall saying, "There he is. He's the one." They'll pull their wallet out and take out the signed card on which the holes moved. They say, "This is the guy that moved these holes..."

That's powerful stuff.

Mike
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Holey Terror II is a Mike Powers effect and I think that it was one of the great magic effects that he used to beat me out of first place at the top hat mini convention in Chicago!

Mike won first place and I enjoyed watching him perform great close up magic.

His Holey Terror II is great...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
I'll add my kudos to Mike for "Holey Terror II." I'm also eagerly awaiting the video.

And while we're at it, I'll put in a recommenmdation for the Mike Powers website at http://www.mallofmagic.com where you'll find pages of magic convention coverage and a full line-up of great magic -- it's a great resource.

Matt Field
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Is there anywhere I can find Holey Terrer II for sale yet? Or am I going to have to impatiently wait for the DVD to come out.

So I take that as a no...This is no longer available?
~joeKing
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
HI Joe,

I do have Holey Terror as a manuscript w/hole puncher and a couple of special cards for $15. I have not advertised it on the site since the DVD will be a far better deal. It will have Holey Terror II, Impromptu Terror, a so far unnamed moving hole trick suitable for platform and the "bonus" trick with the rubber band. I'm thinking it will be priced at $19.95. I'd wait for the DVD!

Mike
JoJo Hermann
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JoJo Hermann
"Holey Terror II is an item of mine. The original goes back to the early '80s. Paul Wilson has a version but didn't give me credit for the "hole matrix" plot."

When I saw Paul perfom it recently in front of a group of magicians, he prefaced the performance by crediting you. That's how I found out about your effect.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hi Mike, I looked at your website, but didn't see HT II or III... Can someone tell me where can I buy either? Thanks.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2004-06-10 23:52, Mike Powers wrote:
I don't usually toot my own horn. But with Holey Terror II I am compelled to do it. It's the type of trick that leaves a MAJOR lasting impression.....
Mike

It's true that it leaves a MAJOR lasting impression. I have seen dozens of the world's finest card men do hundreds of effects and the experience of seeing Mike do this 10 or 15 years ago left a very strong impression. I remember it as one of the strongest tricks I have ever seen.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I to would like to know where I can purchase the "Holey Terror" DVD.

BTW I saw a routine on MVD that moved a hole around the card and then restored the card w/o the holes. He then moved one of the holes to another card that was complete(w/o holes). Is the effect being used in the routine yours Mike?

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I don't see the DVD on Mike website.
~Joe
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Holey Terror III is awesome, I got mine awhile back and never learned it until I took my kids to see the movie Polar Express which prompted me to finally learn Holy Terror III...

I've already gone thru at least several decks just practicing.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2005-05-28 23:34, johnnymystic wrote:
Holey Terror III is awesome, I got mine awhile back and never learned it until I took my kids to see the movie Polar Express which prompted me to finally learn Holy Terror III...

I've already gone thru at least several decks just practicing.

johnny

What????????
~Joe
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
In response to Joe...

Okay...for those of you have never seen 'The Polar Express' The character voiced by Tom Hanks uses a paper punch to punch holes into the the tickets of the children boarding the train...the holes move and form words and such, it is truly a magical moment in the film...

it reminded me of a card effect that I had (Holey Terror III), but never bothered to learn because at the time I didn't quite understand one certain crucial move in the routine.

Well the movie promted me to dig out the card trick and learn it...it is the only card trick I have bothered to learn in the last five years! And aside from the fact I spent some extra money I really couldn't afford on spare decks to learn this routine, it truly is magical when performed.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Is there a release date??
~joeKing
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2005-05-29 01:39, johnnymystic wrote:
In response to Joe...

Okay...for those of you have never seen 'The Polar Express' The character voiced by Tom Hanks uses a paper punch to punch holes into the the tickets of the children boarding the train...the holes move and form words and such, it is truly a magical moment in the film...

it reminded me of a card effect that I had (Holey Terror III), but never bothered to learn because at the time I didn't quite understand one certain crucial move in the routine.

Well the movie promted me to dig out the card trick and learn it...it is the only card trick I have bothered to learn in the last five years! And aside from the fact I spent some extra money I really couldn't afford on spare decks to learn this routine, it truly is magical when performed.

johnny

How cool. Thanks for sharing thyat.
~Joe
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Uh oh... looks like I had better get busy on the moving hole dvd.... I'm up to my eyeballs in projects right now. I am actually fininshing work on a new book that should have been out 5 years ago. It was to be called MOJO. But the word "mojo" has been used, and used and used... I am thinking of calling it "Power Plays." There will be 55 items in a large format hard cover book. It should be out before Xmas. Hopefully I'll get off my butt and get the moving hole dvd done...

Mike

Speaking of forming words - Jim Krenz had an interesting (and incredibly overpriced) trick called Anagramation. The letters of several words on a busniness type card visibly rearranged themselves (a la flip book) into the name of a selected card. The card's name is actually an anagram for the original phrase. I think it sold for $30 with a packet of business type cards. It used an out to lunch concept to get a spec's signature on the card. You used a card each performance and had to restock. I think it was a big bomb and later was reduced to $15 at which price it continued not to sell.

Nonetheless, it's a cool idea.

Mike
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Hi Mike,

I can't wait for your DVD to come out...I used Holey Terror II for years and for some reason or other I stopped using it. This thread has reminded me of what a great effect it is...it's immediately going back into the repetoire. Thanks a bunch!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Holey Terror II (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL