The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Once again - microphones (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm sure this has been covered extensively here, but, since technology changes daily, I'm going to ask again...

I'm considering doing a short DVD demonstrating an effect. I have a nice DSLR with stereo mikes, but it doesn't have a mike input. So I've been looking up info on how to synch the video with a separate sound track using Audacity and a video editor. I also have a couple of recorder options. Okay so far (he said confidently).

So now I'd like to find a suitable mike, probably a lavalier type so I don't have to deal with a mike boom. There are gazillions out there. I'm not looking for a studio-quality mike, just something that'll do the job without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
George,

I have a couple of these Audio-Technica condenser mics. I use a pigtail that takes two of those 1/8" mono plugs from the mics and turns them into a 1/8 stereo. I plug that into a separate audio recorder.

Most video editors I know should see the audio track in your video, and accept the additional audio track you record with the lapel mic(s). If you zoom up on an identifiable section of the audio it should be child's play to slide your recorded track back and forth to sync it with the audio from the video. Then mute the audio from the video, and voila!

Greg
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
As far as sync goes, I would recommend a program called PluralEyes. It automatically syncs multiple sources of audio and video. As long as your video has an audible reference track (built-in stereo mic), it will use that to sync the good audio to the video and output a single video file with the good audio attached.
For microphones, if you have a smart phone, there's a great option out there called the SmartLav by Rode. It will plug right into your phone and use the native audio recording app or any other recording app you want to use. No extra stuff to buy, really, other than the sub-$100 SmartLav.

Good luck!

~Dave
MM2714330
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of MM2714330
Or you could use the simple analog method of clapping your hands at the beginning of the recorded video so it can be lined up to your audio recording. That's what that clapper board is for when you see them filming movies. I recommend a program like Sony Vegas to edit the video, pretty easy to use and adding your secondary audio track is a snap.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Once again - microphones (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL