The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism effects when compering a show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
Hi,

I am compering a show for my magical society and being primarily a mentalist, I would like to do some effects that are "mental" in nature.

In the past I have done the "classics" - Hoy Book Test, Magic Square, invisible deack, some Banachek PS - but am after some new inspiration.

Ideally the effects should be about 3-5 minutes in length and not really require someone on stage.

Any thoughts?
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Don't you mean preparing a show?
Reader discretion is advised.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I guess mrFluffy means he will be MC ing

Steve
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 10:08, stubbs360 wrote:
Don't you mean preparing a show?

I think Steve is right. Compère is British English for Master of Ceremonies:

com·père
ˈkämˌpe(ə)r/
Brit.
noun
noun: compère; plural noun: compères

1. a person who introduces the performers or contestants in a variety show; host.

verb
verb: compère; 3rd person present: compères; past tense: compèred; past participle: compèred; gerund or present participle: compèring

1. act as a compère for (such a show).

Not to be confused with "compeer," which is what SAM members call each other when they can't think of something more creative. Smile
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
In any case I would advice to just stay with the classics, if you're not supposed to be the main attraction there.
And there will be a lesser chance of failer doing effects that you already know.
Reader discretion is advised.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
When I think of an MC (emcee) I think of someone who keeps the show moving along smoothly. Your effects shouldn't be the focus of the show but should add to it. Think off the nature of the other acts. Are they serious? If so, you might consider doing a quick throw away gag to break up the seriousness and tension. The contrast would be welcome in my opinion. Also, you don't want to outshine the other performers- this wouldn't be the time to do a knockout version of MOABT or something else incredibly strong. I do like the idea of classics. I think T.O.D. Could be great for this type of show. Look up other performers who emceed a lot. Terry Seabrooke was always a favorite of mine. He even has a chapter dedicated to emcee work in his book, Around the World in a Baking Tin (excellent book!)
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with twistedace. You're probably better off doing comedy mental magic gags rather than attempting any serious mentalism. The magicians in the audience won't take mentalism seriously anyway. (Most magicians find it boring if you do it straight.)
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
One of the best MC bit's I've ever seen:

MC walks on stage with a brown paper bag and explains that he doesn't have much time to set up and go through all of the effects he really wanted to show so he will just show the amazing parts of each trick. He pulls out a card and says "this was the card you were going to think of", then pulls out a rope and says "the rope is restored", then crumples the brown bag and says "and the ketchup is gone." It killed in a room full of magicians.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Need a LIKE button for the previous post.

steve
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 11:43, twistedace wrote:

MC walks on stage with a brown paper bag and explains that he doesn't have much time to set up and go through all of the effects he really wanted to show so he will just show the amazing parts of each trick. He pulls out a card and says "this was the card you were going to think of", then pulls out a rope and says "the rope is restored", then crumples the brown bag and says "and the ketchup is gone." It killed in a room full of magicians.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Harry Anderson gag. Not surprise it was lifted.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 11:43, twistedace wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Harry Anderson gag. Not surprise it was lifted.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I have no idea what the origin is. I saw a local guy do it and it went over great.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Another classic is coming out with a newspaper, tearing it like a torn and restored newspaper, but just as you finish tearing, look to the wings and pretend that someone is telling you to wrap it up "... oh, the next act is ready..." Take the newspaper, wad it into a ball and throw it to a confederate in the front row. Then look back to the wings, "... oh, they're not quite ready yet..." Have your confederate throw up an untorn wadded newspaper and proceed to do the restoration.

The success of this bit, as with most, rests completely on your ability to have fun with it.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Now that's definitely from Terry Seabrooke.
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
Sorry, should have been more specific.

Yes, it would be "MC-ing" although in the UK that can also mean rapping over the top of songs in a nightclub.

The show is for lay people, but put on by my society.

I have to do an introduction and then 3 "filler" segments, whilst the close up magicians reset.
In the second half, I am the middle act, so can do my "strong stuff"

Just wanted some, as you guys have said, comedy mental stuff.....but not the baby gag

Steven Keyl - I do a variation of that. Hold a jumbo card, "transmit" the thought of the card to them, get them to name it, then say "now, we've never met before have we? We've not set anything up" then the stage whisper comes, I move to side of stage, "Oh, *John* is doing this later....oh ok" Pass card to helper. Then second stage whisper "Oh....he doesn't mind if I do instead" Helper passes actual card named. Long comedy pause......

twistedace - I like that idea, but may modify it for my audience as they aren't magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism effects when compering a show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL