The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Danny Orleans, Silly Billy or Both?? Please help (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
248 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me.

I'm a hobbist who did a few kids shows about 10 years ago, apart from that my performing experience is limited to just family and friends.

I want to get into performing for kids again, I have some props but I know that props don't make a kids show, I need knowledge and professional advice, with this in mind I have sold a lot of my "hobbist" tricks that I have collected over the years so I can educate myself.

So here's my issue, I am considering Danny Orleans 3 DVD set which appears to be impossible to find a review that says it's anything but wonderful OR Silly Billy AND Danny Orleans Lecture on Penguin I simply cannot even nearly afford all 3.

Has anybody seen the Danny Orleans Lecture AND his DVD's? What is on the DVD's that not on the lecture or Vice versa?

How does the Silly Billy Lecture compare?

I hope that all makes some sense, thanks in advance for your help.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Both of those are American ... and not all of their routines fit UK kids without adaptation AND/OR need additional props (so more cash)

I started with Terry Herbert (under-5s) and Pat Fallon (older children) dvds from Practical Magic. These are inexpensive compared to the American ones.

Have you tried searching for the Danny Orleans 3 dvd set on this forum? They were mentioned a few times in different threads when released. Here's one http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
I have both Danny Orleans' DVDs and Penguin lecture as well as David Kaye's DVD Seriously Silly and his Penguin lecture. You can't go wrong with either one, but both would naturally better! They both offer great information on entertaining kids along with some of their tried and true routines.

Their lectures don't include everything that's on their DVDs, but they do include some of the best information along with a few new things.

If you go with only one, I would definitely put the other on your wish list to add when you can.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
315 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I have the Danny Orleans DVD and the Silly Billy seriously Silly book and DVD. I don't have the Penguin lectures. It's hard to say which one is better.

With Seriously Silly, I like the book better than the DVD. It goes more in depth. He does typical tricks (coloring book, milk pitcher, etc.) but has great routines for them. He talks about the routines, but also the psychology behind them. He teaches concepts that you can apply to any trick.

Danny Orleans has a full show with commentary. (The Silly Billy DVD does not have a full show, just snippets). He also does common tricks, but has great routines. What I love most about his DVD is to see the way he controls the audience.

If I had to chose between the Silly Billy book and the Danny Orleans DVD, I don't know which one is better. I know that isn't very helpful. Good luck.
Greensboro
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Greensboro
You can also get Danny Orleans' Family Magic Show as a single DVD for far less than the three DVD set. I does not include commentary, but if you're capable of learning from a performance only, all the good stuff is there.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
668 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
When I first started I read Seriously Silly and I thought that screaming kids were happy kids. Boy was I wrong on so many levels. I quickly realized that my personality cannot handle kids screaming the way Silly Billy can get them going.

I then found Danny's dvds and my show has never been so well orchestrated. Everything is controlled and when chaos ensues it is controlled chaos.

I'm not saying Silly Billy is uncontrolled chaos, but rather his style is more chaotic for my liking. Danny is more gentle, not so with Silly Billy.

You just have to decide what style is more up you alley.

Josh
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
All I can say is when silly Billy first lectured and performed at the Blackpool convention he totaly died a death! He did not play well to British kids or British magicians ... Perhaps he was unprepared as I have only seen him the once . But at blackpool he was rubbish!
in fact he was the talk of the convention but sadly for the wrong reasons.
phil
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
PBJ100,

Yes, I heard the exact same thing.

I wasn't there at Blackpool, but it's possible the negativity could have been attributable to his aggressive performing style (which possibly plays well in New York City) and his use of diapers and the other word for flatulence. Again, this is all a guess on my part. And while I know it sounds as if I'm trying to take up for David, all of us have OFF DAYS.

Sometimes things don't carry well on the other side of the pond. I heard the same was true when David Copperfield brought his big show to England years ago, To some, he came across as being stuck-up.

Still, I think David Kaye is a brilliant children's entertainer and a great magic thinker.

I don't think you can go wrong with his book and Danny Orleans DVD.

Gerry
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Gerry ,
I agree we all have those days !
My post was more because the question was posed by a UK resident and after my experience of silly Billy at the convention it has made me question how well his stuff would work for a beginer in the UK .
phil
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Hi,
I saw the Copperfield show in earls court and was at the magic circle dealers day the following day to where David made an appearence . I do not recall and negative comments the show was terrific phil
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

PBJ,

I have a ton of British magician friends and they were 50/50 on his performance.

Look, I like David Copperfield, but I could see how his style might rub others the wrong way and come across as if he's a show-off.

I was also told that the British press were not very kind to David and that his big newspaper ad saying "Thanks for treating me like Royalty," was really meant to be a dig at the British media.

Gerry
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Gerry ,
You are probably right but I never came across any of that negativity and I enjoyed the show
Phil
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Phil,

I don't want us to overtake this thread by talking about DC. If you want to send me a PM, I'll discuss that with you there.

Thanks.

Gerry
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 23:30, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
When I first started I read Seriously Silly and I thought that screaming kids were happy kids. Boy was I wrong on so many levels. I quickly realized that my personality cannot handle kids screaming the way Silly Billy can get them going.

I then found Danny's dvds and my show has never been so well orchestrated. Everything is controlled and when chaos ensues it is controlled chaos.

I'm not saying Silly Billy is uncontrolled chaos, but rather his style is more chaotic for my liking. Danny is more gentle, not so with Silly Billy.

You just have to decide what style is more up you alley.

Josh

Agree, the two styles you are considering are very different. Figure out which style suits you better and start there. And although you can learn from people that perform with a different style than you, with limited funds the next best purchase may be someone you have not mentioned that has a similar style. for example, my style fits better with Danny Orleans, and although Silly Billy has a lot to teach and I can learn a lot from him, someone like Ken Scott is closer to my style and I would make his dvd a higher priority than Silly billy. The Silly Billy dvd would also be a great purchase in that situation, I would just put it a little further down the list if he is not my style. So my recommendation would be to pick you style make that purchase and find others that would compliment that same style. Later check out other styles of performance, because anyone who is successful has something to teach you.

mark
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I would add that most comedy is very strongly tied to culture and typically doesn't translate well from culture to culture. Using comedy from another culture is very risky, it can work but you have to strip the culture from it first. We typically don't realize how much we are influenced by our own culture, and that what we do and think isn't normal for the rest of the world.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Not to dwell on this one thing that I mentioned previously, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

I know of several top notch British performers who bombed here in the US, and I know of several who've had great success.

Likewise, I know of several famous USA performers who had just mediocre success at some events while performing in England.

Again, it goes both ways and maybe some of these guys just had an off-night, like we all have had from time to time.

I don't want anyone to think I was picking on David Copperfield as I do believe he is ONE of the greatest illusionists of all times.

Thanks,

Gerry
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
My Honest Recommendation would be Silly Billy's DVD and Book.

WHY: First let me say that I really like Danny Orleans as a person and a Magician. However, Danny has been out of the Children's Market for a very long time. Well over 10 plus years and has been a very successful Trade Show Magician since then. He has some good Theories but most of those do not work with today children. A lot has changed since he was performing for children so many years ago.

I did go and see his Lecture and I certainly was not impressed. And the very HIGH Price of his DVD Set really through me for a loop. The information on the DVD is over 10 years old. YES, I know people are raving about his DVD Set but personally your money is better spent on Silly Billy's DVD and Book. At least Silly Billy's Routines and Ideas are up to date.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Rodney,
I do not have these DVDs but I am interested as to what techniques no longer work ?
I have been performing for over 30 years and whilst I find material sometimes dates most techniques still work now as they did 30 years ago
Phil
robvh
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB
361 Posts

Profile of robvh
I just saw Danny Orleans lecture at Magi-Fest in Columbus this weekend. The lecture was preceded by a show which was opened to the public so you saw him perform for real children and their parents. The kids loved it, kids and adults alike had fun and enjoyed the magic, and he was in control of the situation. It was a no-brainer for me to buy his DVDs after that.

I would recommend Danny's DVDs without hesitation. He's the real deal and I don't think his kids show or theory is out of date at all having seen his effectiveness live with my own two eyes. Plus, I got to know Danny and his wife, Jan, a little and they seem like wonderful, genuine, and helpful people. Very lovely.

Cheers,
Rob VH
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of algebraic
David Kaye's book "Seriously Silly" is the best children's magic book I've ever read. It's my number one book to reference in children's magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Danny Orleans, Silly Billy or Both?? Please help (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL