The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Card Brand Debate as it applies to card magic. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The Phoenix Gaff http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=112 has a set of McDonald's Aces as well as many commonly needed gaffs used in several effects. $15 isn't bad for the variety you get. The link lists the contents of the deck. Especially when you consider McDonald's Aces alone are $18 at Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?......odIhgAjg
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Has anyone tried Lee Asher's Fourniers? If so, what do you think?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-20 12:51, critter wrote:

High quality cards, way different than most. The finish is really slick (they can even be "washed" in water). I love them for playing poker. Like em for (most) pure soh (or self working) effects when just sitting around with friends but I am not comfortable enough with them to use in performance.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:

Too stiff and thick, IMO. Good quality, tho. If you're into stiff thicky's or vice versa, give them a try.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Well, I tried the Phoenix cards.
The finish is very nice.
The strike-double works like a dream with these cards.

As far as in-the-hands Faro work goes, I cannot Faro with them at all unless I turn the deck around and Faro backwards.
I guess it's because I'm left-handed? Anyway, it seems to work well but I'd have to face the cards the opposite direction
and do an IN instead of an OUT and vice-versa to make it work for me. I guess that's do-able.

Faro'ing on the table is very nice, right out of the box.

Also, is NDO different than in a regular set of bikes?
Something tells me it is.

As far as the back design, it's not great but it's fine.
I don't like the look of the jokers and it would be nice if they were identical.
Not too keen on the larger pip aces either. I'd rather have the standard sizes.

I don't really like the font they use or the graphic of the phoenix. Just looks to juvenile for my taste.

I do like the blank cards. A nice treat. After 4 decks you would have a va city shuffle set, if the aces weren't so huge.

I would say there are half-way there to getting me to switch.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2014-02-20 16:39, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:

Too stiff and thick, IMO. Good quality, tho. If you're into stiff thicky's or vice versa, give them a try.
The nice thing about these are they don't warp in excessive temperature/humidity like most other cards. Once you get them broken in, they last forever.

pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I've received my order of Phoenix and I can say that I will swith over to these cards from now on. I am very happy with the quality, the hidden features and the overall design. We are lucky to have a company that is producing cards for us to do magic and not just to collect the new back designs. Christian's efforts deserve our support. If you love card magic, you owe it to yourself to give Phoenix a try (make sure to watch the online DVD to really appreciate what is so special about them).
Robertology
View Profile
New user
Michigan
55 Posts

Profile of Robertology
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 03:05, Frank Starsini wrote:
As far as in-the-hands Faro work goes, I cannot Faro with them at all unless I turn the deck around and Faro backwards.

I wonder if that's from them being cut from the other side (compared to others).

Quote:
Also, is NDO different than in a regular set of bikes?
Something tells me it is.

Yes. He has a video explaining why, though I didn't completely get it because I don't use the Tamariz stack. Didn't sound like it saved too many steps but I'm sure it makes sense for those who use it.

Quote:
Not too keen on the larger pip aces either. I'd rather have the standard sizes.

I don't have any of these cards yet, but I do like that concept. I have a different deck with the large aces like that. Could just be something to get used to.
- Robert
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm going to bug my card shop about maybe trying to order some Phoenix's to check out. Thinking about trying the Fourniers because if they're as durable as people say then I'd like to find a durable deck that's not plastic.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dynamic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Dynamic
I just use waddingtons! cheao and cheerful.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Frank, go to http://www.release-the-power.com/ and sign up for email list then you get a password for the "Release the Power" online dvd - several video clips (vimeo) on all the features of the decks (and the why's) It explains the NDO and the secret power of the cleverly disguised "Poker Bingo Card". Well worth signing the list, you get special links to sales from time to time not offered to everyone. Also free shipping on orders over $75 (only $6.50 otherwise)(if ordered on mobile site). Not sure about the regular website.

Critter, the shipping isn't bad from the mobile site buy 4 for $12 + $6.50 = $18.50 / 4 = $4.63 a deck. Still cheaper than many "Deck of the Month" packs you see nowadays (before shipping). Smile (if you cant get your local shop to carry them) I am also not sure non magic vendors can get them. I have never seen them anywhere but online or at my brick and mortor. Although someone said they saw some at a walmart once (a while back). I do know the bingo card is disguised as a game, with its own website and everything in case a layperson would wonder what it is and I imagine the blank would be thought of as an extra card to replace one that gets damaged (like the jokers used to get used for). (very clever - hide in plain sight) Smile

also, I have been on the email list for a while and don't get nearly the mass mailings that I get from other magic sites. Smile

Smile Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I have switched 90% to Phoenix cards quite a while ago, after seeing Christian Schenk lecturing in Trieste, my town in North-Eastern Italy.

Just FYI I am about to order 4 dispensers with 11 regular packs + 1 gaffed pack for 35€ each. We need them for our magic club (we hold a magic course for beginners twice a year and I am the card magic teacher). It's the first time we, as a club, officially switch to Phoenix cards. In the past I also ordered a blank/blank pack. Each student receives a card to perform 'Back Stop' by Karl Fulves (My Best Self-Working Card Tricks, Dover, page 80) which is one of the effects I teach during the course.

This offer is only for newsletter subscribers only, though. YOu won't see it on the website.

mlippo
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Mlippo, I got that dispenser with my first big order. (I was already on the list, so I had a link to it. It is also back up as of today, I just got the Blackpool email). That is a great deal, 11 decks + the Gaff deck (reg $15 alone) for $35 US. that's $1.82 per deck once you take out for the excellent gaff set. Well worth getting on a mailing list for.

Smile Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 13:09, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Mlippo, I got that dispenser with my first big order. (I was already on the list, so I had a link to it. It is also back up as of today, I just got the Blackpool email). That is a great deal, 11 decks + the Gaff deck (reg $15 alone) for $35 US. that's $1.82 per deck once you take out for the excellent gaff set. Well worth getting on a mailing list for.

I got the Blackpool mail today and with it I got the link to the offers. I know it's a big deal. That why I am taking it...

mlippo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

After watching all the videos I've altered my opinions:

I had a feeling that there was a reason for the poker card but I had the wrong reason I thought it was a paul fox gimmick but I was wrong. I do like the idea tho.
Very useful.

As far as the larger pip aces, I can live with that and might even think it's a good idea eventually so no harm there.

The back design now gets an extra thumbs up.
The face design now gets an extra thumbs up.

I have an earlier model deck (3 lines of text on the bottom).

The cut on my decks are smoother when face-up which tells me they were punched from the front (face).
I like that even tho I have to turn the deck around in my hands for in-the-hands faro'ing.

It seems necessary that they stay punching them that way for ease of table-faro work, if my thinking is correct.
If they punch thru the back for all future runs, it will make table faro work a disaster.

I'm hoping the decision to punch the cards will be done to facilitate table-faro work, meaning thru the face.

I don't see why it really matters which direction except for table-faro work where it has to be thru the face.

anyone?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 13:25, Frank Starsini wrote:
[...]As far as the larger pip aces, I can live with that

[...]
The back design now gets an extra thumbs up.

I didn't like the aces at the beginning, but then soon got used to them. No prob here.
The back design doesn't make me c**e in ectasy nor do the jokers, but I can live with that...

mlippo
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Anyone tried Legends yet? Great deck.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-02-20 03:42, Poof-Daddy wrote:
The Phoenix Gaff http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......rtID=112 has a set of McDonald's Aces as well as many commonly needed gaffs used in several effects. $15 isn't bad for the variety you get.

Agreed. Just ordered a set, plus several gimmicked decks to make the most out of the cheap shipping.

If Christian et al. could make actual factory-printed gaffs for AITF (different from the hand-made splits made by Marty Martini's, which have a palpable seam that rules out the tactile convincer) I would be thrilled. Has there been any call for that?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I've decided I like the larger ace pips now. that didn't take long. Smile
:phoenixred:
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 15:40, Frank Starsini wrote:
I've decided I like the larger ace pips now. that didn't take long. Smile
:phoenixred:

I have 1 old deck with the small pip aces (H, C, and D) but since the A/S is so big they just look funny as a set. All big is Def the way to go.

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Card Brand Debate as it applies to card magic. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL