The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2004 entrée: Tony Clark » » The Top three most important elements to a successful act » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
I just wanted to see what all the magicians feel are the top three things that make up a successful act. I would like to hear your views about the most important elements for the business side as well as the technical side.
Smile
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Only 3 wow that's tuff....LOL

1. Entertainment Value
2. Marketability (spelling)
3. Originality

My wife agrees...LOL then again when I asked her if she agreed to shut me up or did she meen it she said....BOTH...LOL......
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Off the top of my head I would say:
1) Connection with the audience- this would include a personal connection as well as plot or theme of the routine(s)
2) Logic and Motivation of the magic itself.
3) Consistancy of the overall style and delivery. Some magicians have strength as an Illusionist, Manipulator or Close-Up. I think you should be strong in all categories if you choose to perform mutiple categories. I must add a VERY GOOD Speaking Voice is incredibly important. Any style is great but it must be confident with vocal dynamics and style.
Just my opinion as there are so many aspects that are important that limiting it to 3 is rather difficult.
Take care,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
Ok Let's make it the top five elements most important to a successful act.............. Smile
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
4.promo material
5.goal setting

This is still tuff as there is always room to improve and create that is what I believe we do create.
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
1) Customer service - go out of your way to make your customers feel good about hiring you.
2) The Disneyland Effect - give your customers just a little bit more than they are expecting - always exceed their expectations.
3) Really enjoy what you are doing, and stop when you're not.

David.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I think that number 1 should be entertainment value whether you are performing a highly skilled sleight of hand routine, illusions or a comedy routine the audience wants to be entertained.
Number 3 would be a balanced act that has manipulation (making things appear), Transformation (Changing colors shapes etc), cut and restored or just restoring (fixing what is broken) Places?(making things travel) Levitation (making things fly) there are two more that I cant recall now but balancing an act nicely adds to the number 1 which is entertainment value.
I once heard a quote that went Do what you love and get so good at it that people are willing to pay you to do it then you will never have a job.
That has to be number 3

Smile
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
Great stuff! Anyone else? Smile
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
1) Make the audience like you, (your personality)
2) Understand what will impress and entertain an audience. (good choice of material is critical).
3) practice/polish the act until its seamless.
Meltdown
View Profile
New user
Nuneaton, Warwickshire - UK
5 Posts

Profile of Meltdown
Hi Tony

I would say the top 5 things are;
1) Be entertaining (after all that is the primary purpose of magic - to entertain)
2) Memorable (give 'em something to talk about later on in the pub)
3) Varied (Someone was commenting in one of the other areas that some stage acts can be like a succession of 'box tricks' - sadly true, and for close-up it can be like a cardfest)
4) Professional/slick (amateur/semi/pro - no excuses for second rate attitude)
5) Value for money (Circumstances permitting - give 'em a few minutes more than they paid for - and be ready to start dead on time)

Cheers - Melty
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
Good Ideas!

Smile
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
May top 5 would be:

1.) Develop a great act and find the niche to which it can be marketed.(Comedy, Illusions, Close up etc.
2.) Be enthusiastic and endear yourself to your audience when you perform. Make them like you!
3.) Entertain them and fool them without being arrogant.
4.) Perform only your strongest and best material, being as original as possible with a well scripted patter or movement
5.) Videotape your perfromances, and be open to critique
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
1. Have fun,thats what its all about if your having fun ,your crowd will have fun.

2. give your crowd a good show, a good value for their hard earned dollar!

3. try to do effects that are new and that really grab them! Do that and they will talk about you for a long time and ask you back! Smile
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
1)Presentation
2)Personality
3)Patter

The 3 P's.
Daniel Faith
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I know full well that one must determine their own definition of "successful". There are financially successful acts which are marginally entertaining at best. There are also phenominal acts which are no where near as publicly and financially successful as they could or should be (in comparison to those marginal ones).

That said I venture forth the following:

1) Having a vision/concept for your act.
2) Being able to change, adapt, and grow while staying commited to your vision.
3) Perseverence. Stick-to-it-tiveness. Commitment.

Cheers,

Tom
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
All very good ideas. The Three P's is a fun one because it is easy to remember. I would put Personality in the # 1 spot. Smile
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
1. Attitude... Performing a show is work "Choose the right attitude at work"

2. Fun........ Make your work fun and play with the audience at work! Engage them in your fun! Time will fly by

3. Make as many folks in your groups feel special...Include them in your fun with the right attitude....at work! "Make their day!"

4. Acknowledgment..... Don't get so caught up in your work during the show and forget to acknowledge the folks in your groups....Look at them and address them personally as much as possible!

5. Humility (self-expl.)

This is only the essence of what I've found that works best for my personality and my work if you will?
Thanks to Tony and everyone who's been gracious enough to create their own list! Good Stuff Gang!
rr
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
Paying attention to your audience is key. It not only keeps them involved, they sometimes feed you some great lines or ideas. Some of the best moments in my show came from someones remark during the show. You have to be interested in others if you want them to be interested in you.
Smile
j.g.sager
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of j.g.sager
1) be professional
2) Have fun if you are haveing fun they are haveing fun
3) involve the audience
4) Be amazed at your own effects no one will think its real magic if your pulling coins from the air or cards with a big goofy smile on your face. If you were really doing so you would be just as amazed as they are
just imagine a person's reaction if they reached up and really pulled a coin from the air they would be shocked and so should you.
5) leave them wanting more (to ensure that they will ask you back)
Tony Clark
View Profile
V.I.P.
118 Posts

Profile of Tony Clark
Very good!!!! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2004 entrée: Tony Clark » » The Top three most important elements to a successful act » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL