The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls- Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrewPett
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
Back when I was starting out in magic, I purchased a fairly nice set of cups and balls, but never put in the required practice to become skilled in this area. Well I've recently had a paradigm shift in my work ethic regarding practicing and learning magic. That being said, I would like to get my cups and balls back out and learn how to truly use them and perform magic; however, there is a problem. I have misplaced my balls. The ones that came with the set I mean. In browsing trying to find replacement balls, I have come across a plethora of different balls that people like to use in their routines. So my question to the lovely members of the Café is this:
Which balls would you recommend or that you like to use, and why?
BCS
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of BCS
Drew,

ouch... lost my balls, hate that when that happens... LOL

I am very pleased and mostly use RNT2 knit balls... 7/8 inch and 1" balls fit my hands and most of my Cups (3 ball stacked concealed). I like the red and white balls, depending on the style of Cups and working surface.

What you want to consider is...

size... what are you comfortable using.
what best fits your Cups... can 3 balls be concealed in a stack, if not are you OK with wobble.
Color... what shows up best; take into consideration your working surface and what you are wearing... what makes the balls most visible.

From there you get into style of balls and weight.

Find some Cup buddies and see if you can try out different sets.

Good luck,
Bruce
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Veteran user
West of Boston, East of Eden
344 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Hi, Drew - BCS's advice is spot on. Take it from me, someone who went way too overboard exploring balls of many sizes, colors and compositions. The upside for you is that I have plenty to get rid of. When you know what you want, PM me to see if I have the size and color that you want. If I have what you need, I'll sell them at a reduced price. David
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
Bruce,
Thank you so much for that advice! I looked at those balls and they look great! Unfortuneately there aren't many magicians where I'm from, it seems, so it may be hard to find that cup buddy, but I'm always searching.

David,
Thank you so much for that offer! PM'd you.
TKF
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of TKF
RNT balls are a personal favorite - Hard to beat.

The Mike Rogers' mini-baseballs are great if they fit your style / taste. I like them, just hard for me to match the setting usually... I like their handling properties however.

Monkey-fists are also quite nice, & I like them since you can find an ex-boy scout who can craft some excellent ones...

But I find I come back to the RNTII (adjustable, amazing) sets, or the tailor suited Sherwood ball-sets for the matching cups... But very few sellers I know of, can pre-calibrate your ball set to your cups for you.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Veteran user
West of Boston, East of Eden
344 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I like the RNT2 balls best also. The chop balls are adjustable, so you can set them for whatever cup you'll be using -- very versatile that way.

My favorite balls to handle are the monkey fists I made myself. For combination grip and weight they're really good. I've also made them as adjustable chop balls (not so hard to do). But they have a rough, old time look which doesn't go for all routines.

My biggest problem with balls is doing one of Al Schneider's moves with consistent accuracy. If I weren't so wedded to his pinky-ring finger pinch, I'd be much more open to ball varieties and sizes.
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Im looking for a set of those Monkey balls that have the ball bearing inside. Can't remember who makes them Help Please?
TKF
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of TKF
This is the place that comes to mind for me: monkeyknuts.com
BCS
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of BCS
Greg755,

Something you might also want to check into is “Mouse Balls” from the Ambitious Card; if it is heavier balls you are looking for. I own some and I am very pleased, they stay put and do not roll around. But being heavy they can make an audible thud depending on the working surface used.

I cannot comment on balls with a ball bearing core; I have not come across any.

The link for the Ambitious Card is below.

Good luck,
Bruce

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=30
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4800 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I used to make Monkey Fists for Ambitious Card and others. I used a glass marble from my local craft store as a core. The weight was perfect for me. I can't imagine using ball bearings, waaay too heavy for me.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
MGordonB
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
I've been on the lookout for nice balls as well. For me, I think the best is about 7/8 in a lighter colour. The standard red is too dark (also I wear a red vest)
Mouse balls are a nice size, but they are heavy and loud! I know that RnT2 has nice ones, I just have to bite the bullet one of these days and put my order in.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Talking about Monkey Fist Balls, can anyone lead me in the right direction, to the procedure for making my own? Thanks in advance.
Keith Shazam
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3174 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I believe that Magicalaurie, who visits these boards, does BB core monkeyfists

That sounds wrong.
"Jazz is an accident waiting to have happened."

David St. Hubbins
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
535 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I have a set from MagicalLaurie. Very nice. Chopped one is adjustable. They are elegant - that is not made from leather, but some type of thread. Very nice and go well with a nice set of cups.

Hudson
BCS
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of BCS
Keith... Do a Google search for "making monkey fists balls and all kinds of stuff is there.

Good luck,
Bruce
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Thanks. I left a memo on FB for laurie because her site was not working the other day. I want balls with a little more weight it helps when doing a wand spin vanish. I don't need magnetic. thanks for the links I will check them out...
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Just got a set off monkey knuts, thanks
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Looked at the mouse balls too, but they are much more than the monkey knuts and weigh more. The monkey nuts are 8/10 of an ounce and the mouse balls are 1 oz in the 7/8 size. BUT the mouse balls LOOK nicer. I have an email into them to see what the weight of their normal balls are, which look as nice as the mouse balls.
TysonUnruh
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of TysonUnruh
Hey, I never thought of using glass marbles before... I will have to get some and see if they work..
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Earth
2437 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I didn't get a "memo", Greg, sorry. I updated my FB page with a link to my "new" website, FYI. For those who may be interested: http://www.magicalaurie.net

Thankyou, Hudson, satin rattail cord. Smile
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Hi Laurie, glad to see all is working ok with the website. Sorry I had to go elsewhere to get my balls. BUT since you basically are having a 2 or 1 sale I will probably pick up a pair of different sizes so I can play around with them. Thanks G. Do you think you can make balls that are about 1/2 ounce each? Your balls are about a 1/4 ounce and my monkey knuts are about 8/10 of an ounce just a little too heavy. I will get on your website and we can work something out... Thanks Greg
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Earth
2437 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Hi Greg, I can make some 3/4" with steel core ball bearings that come to about 1/2 oz. I'd be willing to give them to you at sale price. Not sure how many I have in stock, though, I'll have to take a look and get back to you. They would be the weight you're looking for, though.
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Left a note on your contact form on your site but I will PM you right now.
Thanks
Greg755
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Thanks Laurie Nice Job.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls- Balls (1 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.148293 seconds, requiring 66 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [8] [4] [2] [5] [5] [7] [9]