The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IClear (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
This is an interesting discussion. I do believe Shin when he says he did not know of the trick's preexistence. Which brings up an interesting question: How much work does a magician have to do to 'clear' an idea before releasing it? I usually show my work to 5-10 knowledgable people before releasing. I don't know if this number is high or low, but, yes, that's what I do. Still, it's conceivable that something could slip through the cracks (that I could release something that has already been released). Which brings put he question of...What should a magician do in that situation? Withdraw the product? Credit the product correctly? Pay the first creator? Do nothing? I don't know the 'right' answers here, but I'm glad we're at least having this discussion because, as we know, the law provides us magicians virtually no protection, so we have to go on, pretty much, ethics alone...
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I like to think this was independaent creation as well. The thing that buggers it all up of course is the fact I am sure that there are now a bunhc of acrylic blocks that look like phones sitting in a box somewhere that have been made and paid for. Obviously Shin won't just say, "Well I will just pull this from the market" because of the investment made. If it was a card trick or something easy to pull I am sure it might have already happened.

So what would make the Dynamo clan happy in this situation? Perhaps nothing.
Official Thread Killer
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
For what its worth I think I saw Dyamo's phone trick, over a year ago. When browsing his stuff on youtube. But from what I remember it looked just like a Omni-deck with a hole drilled for the button. Which is also the type of design I mentioned before, seeing it ages ago for sale.

Unless he had done the same effect twice in his magic series using this newly designed type of Omni-phone?

Alan can you comment on this. Has Dynamo done the same phone effect more than once in his series?
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Son
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Looch I am your father….
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
I saw the dynamo and have talked to other friends about it. The phone also had printing on it and was not just a drilled omni deck.
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Search for my products under "Christopher Wiehl"
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
And for the dynamo video since ive seen people ask about it is here
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsxwnm_......tart=784

i am interested to see in the reverse of the phone back to someone's actual phone if you do borrow the phone from someone.
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Maybe tell people where on the video the effect is?
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Has anybody ordered this? Should be in soon. Cant wait for some reviews.
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
Starts at 13:11 , but the link should automatically start you there.
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I'm a bit surprised no one caught the discrepancy at 14:40-14:42
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2014, MR Effecto wrote:
Has anybody ordered this? Should be in soon. Cant wait for some reviews.

Looks like MJM Magic just got them:
iClear (gold or silver) by Shin Lim

I assume other stores will get them now as well.
- EddieM
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Actually, you just give it to them and keep their iPhone. You sell the iPhone and buy another iClear refill.
James

Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Quote:
You're creating a 'How Did He Switch It Twice?' moment

That is one thing the trailer doesn't show. How do you give them their phone back? Just pull it out of your pocket and say "I'm just kidding, here". The get into might be un-expected but how do you change it back without them burning you? I hope that it's covered on the instrucions but the trailer doesn't show it at all which means there might not be a method for it.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
notrab
View Profile
New user
Newcastle, UK
1 Post

Profile of notrab
This is an interesting discussion and I do like the effect regardless of the original creator.

In regards to the case issue, I've never had an issue asking a laymen to remove it.

SaturnUK gives some perfect examples of getting away with it.
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, Xiqual wrote:
Actually, you just give it to them and keep their iPhone. You sell the iPhone and buy another iClear refill.
James

Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Quote:
You're creating a 'How Did He Switch It Twice?' moment

That is one thing the trailer doesn't show. How do you give them their phone back? Just pull it out of your pocket and say "I'm just kidding, here". The get into might be un-expected but how do you change it back without them burning you? I hope that it's covered on the instrucions but the trailer doesn't show it at all which means there might not be a method for it.

ethically not the best, but financially fantastic.
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
Stop busting his chops. He came out with an effect that is much better than Dynamo's and whoever the other person who we do NOT know about. There are millions of people out there that claim they have it first. As an entreprenuer and a successful business owner myself, I am here to say that the idea is not worth anything. Who cares if they did it first even if they did? The fact is SHIN went out there and MADE IT HAPPEN. that's IT!!

Whoever is saying he stole it and e.t.c is a jelous person himself/herself and deff. does not understand and WILL NOT understand why what he did has nothing to do with some unknown people. People are thinking of Iphone APPS everyday, and to who will create it will have no clue about who already has it. WHY? Because at the end it doesn't MATTER. Execution COUNTS ideas are USELESS!

Shin great presentation superb effect, I'm deff purchasing. Bad or not, because I will make it LOOK GOOD Smile
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
In the magic community IDEAS count too. Just because an effect isn't for sale, doesn't mean you have carte blanche to sell the effect yourself. You are claiming that it is okay to steal another magician's work as long as they have a misleading and well-edited video.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2014, MagicalAlex wrote:
Stop busting his chops. He came out with an effect that is much better than Dynamo's and whoever the other person who we do NOT know about. There are millions of people out there that claim they have it first. As an entreprenuer and a successful business owner myself, I am here to say that the idea is not worth anything. Who cares if they did it first even if they did? The fact is SHIN went out there and MADE IT HAPPEN. that's IT!!

Whoever is saying he stole it and e.t.c is a jelous person himself/herself and deff. does not understand and WILL NOT understand why what he did has nothing to do with some unknown people. People are thinking of Iphone APPS everyday, and to who will create it will have no clue about who already has it. WHY? Because at the end it doesn't MATTER. Execution COUNTS ideas are USELESS!

Shin great presentation superb effect, I'm deff purchasing. Bad or not, because I will make it LOOK GOOD Smile

100% agree. Bravo.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2014, mediocre_magic wrote:
In the magic community IDEAS count too. Just because an effect isn't for sale, doesn't mean you have carte blanche to sell the effect yourself. You are claiming that it is okay to steal another magician's work as long as they have a misleading and well-edited video.

You clearly misunderstood my point. All of magic comes from so called "Ancient" magic books and modern "IDEAS" and "EFFECTS" are derived from "PAST EFFECTS". In that case is everyone stealing Paul Harris's IDEAS? NO. You can pin point any magician now who is selling and tell them it is NOT their effect because ORIGINALLY it came from blah blah blah. You never know who has what, and I am sure Shin didn't know. But even if he did, he came out with something stronger and there is nothing wrong with that!

But the person who originally created the effect. If he didn't want his stuff published he would have hired an attorney and claimed that right legally. I don't see a discussion on that and I am sure it won't happen. Unless he said, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED to MY trick, you can do whatever the hell you want. Look at Daniel Garcia’s FRAUD! Did you know that it is ILLIGAL to draw on hence manipulate currency? However, he teaches you to do just that! But it was still released and still performed even on TV. Did Blaine get the permission from the DEPARTMENT OF TREASURY? Maybe, maybe not, maybe who cares?

That’s the problem, all this is, IS a magic community! In the real world of business, this talk wouldn’t even exist.
Regardless there will always be people who will hate and criticize not matter what and nothing will make them happy and why prove to them, let them live their miserable lives.
Fortunately there are others who love to see people who become successful and become motivated by any inspiration, I am happy to be the latter Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
What business are you in? My brother is a lawyer who makes a lot of money from IP cases. I'm interested in the fact that in your experience of the "real business world", such conversations do not take place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » IClear (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL