The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books About Performing Better Magic & General Theory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Hi everyone,

There seems to have been a lot of conversation about various book relating to theory and performing better magic etc. Some of the books dicussed have been 'Absolute Magic' 'Strong Magic' etc. However the books discussed seem to either, have been written focusing on one branch of magic ie: Mentalism OR are out of print and difficult to come by.

Could anyone kindly reccomend a book that explores how to better perform magic that is more focused on card, coin and general closeup magic? Does a book even exist such as this? What about one that's focused on performing better magic in general. Can anyone reccomend any titles? If so which one do you think is the best?

Thanks for your help,

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Performance of Close up Magic - Burger (see also Experience of Magic)

Books of Wonder - Tommy Wonder

Five Points of Magic/Magic Way - Tamariz

And Absolute magic is more on general closeup magic than it is on mentalism.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Actually Strong Magic is specifically written for the close up magician and magic in general. like you said the only problem is getting a copy.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I always recommend Eugene Burger's books first. However there's a great new book out that people interested in theory might want to check out.

It's called "The Secret Art of Magic" and its by Eric Evans and Nowlin Craver. It actually consists of two books. The first is called "Street Magic and the Art of War" and is written by Eric Evans particularly for those interested in street magic (not really Blains stuff, but real busking). He uses Sun Tzu's "Art of War" as his model. I haven't done a lot of busking but have always been interested in it and was very impressed with the thinking put into this. The second section is called "The Secret Art of Dispersion" and is written predominately by Nowlin Craver. It is much broader in scope and would therefore be of interest to most magicians. He uses an anonymous Chinese text called the "Secret Art of War" as his model. It goes into a lot of detail about 36 strategies, adapted from the Chinese text, with which magicians can better their use of misdirection.

It's an excellent book. Very well written and thought out. On top of that the physical book is just beautiful- very well produced and put together. At first I was a bit taken aback by the premise, using ancient texts on how to conduct a war, and how the strategies therein can be used in magic. However, I was convinced by Evan's introduction. Sun Tzu said that "all warfare is based on deception." Obviously so is magic. There are a lot of parallels between what we do and how Sun Tzu said a war should be conducted. It's an interesting premise and well worth checking out. It will really make you think about every little action you do while performing and how it contributes or takes away from the magic.

Just my two cents.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Leading With Your Head by Gary Kurtz
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Truthteller is doing exactly what his name inplies.The Books of Wonder are brilliant.The contents (both theory and effects) is amazing.
Even if you don't use the effects,just understanding the theory behind each effect is invaluable.
Strong Magic also deserves a mention.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Another great book to study is "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. I'm not too sure about it's availability, but I picked mine up at a used book store on South Street in Philadelphia for about five dollars.
Who is John Galt?
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
In David Regal's Constant Fooling books, he devotes several pages to performing theory, philosophy, and tips. I got a lot of those pages. Plus you get a bunch of killer tricks.
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
My favourites are:

Magic & Showmanship (Henning Nelms)
Showmanship for magicians (Sharpe)
Five points in magic (Tamariz)
Magic & Meaning (Burger, Neal)
Brain Food (Parr)
Books of Wonder (Wonder)
Essays from "The Art of Astonishment" (Harris) and "The magic of Michael Ammar"

Sincerely
Academy

P.S. Thanks lastnitesfun for your useful information about Evan's new book. It sounds very intriguing...
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Two words "Our Magic." Though not specific to cards and coins, very specific to treating magic as an art form. I found a used copy of the second printing for $20.

Charles Spector
P.S. Of course you can't go wrong with the books mentioned above, but I am surprised nobody mentioned "Our Magic." Smile
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Quote:
On 2004-01-10 08:52, academy wrote:

P.S. Thanks lastnitesfun for your useful information about Evan's new book. It sounds very intriguing...

The introduction Mark referred to, as well as other info about "Evan's new book" can be found at http://www.secretartofmagic.com

Nowlin

ps Thanks for the kind words, Mark
Nowlin Craver
Andy H
View Profile
Regular user
London
106 Posts

Profile of Andy H
Mystery School, oh and I'm selling it.
Paul Harris: My Astonishing Hero
jeline
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore
150 Posts

Profile of jeline
1. John Carney's Book of Secrets
2. Absolute Magic by Darren Brown
3. Strong Magic Darwin Ortiz
4. Making Magic Real by Richard Osterlind (booklet available on his website)
5. S.H. Sharpe Art and Magic (available to Denny & Lees)
6. Shattering Illusions by Jamy Ian Swiss
7. Assorted essays in the Card College series

Jay Sankey has a new book coming out. Haven't read it yet, but I appreciate his thoughts on performing and assume it will be good.

These are a few books that I've enjoyed and actually learned something.
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
Sankeys book (from the demo) sounds like a load of management speak to me (focus, expand the essence etc.)

:wavey:
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
Jay Sankey's new book "Beyond Secrets" is a GREAT book on how to perform magic. I reccomend it..
gbavli
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gbavli
Hi All,
I would reccomend you to have a look at "Maximum Entertainment" By: Ken Weber. As to my personal opinion, after reading the book, knowing the autor and seeing him in action - I would say that this if not THE then one of THE MOST IMPORTANT BOOKS IN SHOWBIZ for magicians and mentalists! This book has no tricks but it has many secrets of the trade - and points that make YOU better then what you are as a performer. Ken Weber is one of the most profesional performers in our trade that I ever met - not only that - he has the right eye and feeling in directing performers to become better then what they are. This book can be bought trough http://www.pro-magic.com or at your closer dealer - this will be the best 40$ you will invest in your last decade of buying magic.
Regards,
Guy Bavli
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Hi Guy. welcome to the Café!
John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
No one has mentioned "Close-Up Presentation" by John Mendoza.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Another top vote for Shattering Illusions, by Jamy Ian Swiss.

You make not agree with everything he says, but it's all very thought provoking and very motivating towards honing an approach of excellence in magic and more importantly, in presentation.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2004-01-09 11:02, shomemagic wrote:
Leading With Your Head by Gary Kurtz

Seconded. It's a cheaply produced, poorly edited, typo-ridden booklet weighing in at a scant thirty-nine comb-bound pages... and it's one of the best investments I ever made in magic. If you can find a copy for sale (it won't be mine!), get it.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books About Performing Better Magic & General Theory (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL