The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » New version based on Lubor's Parabox (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pierredan
View Profile
Elite user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
438 Posts

Profile of pierredan
MrWizard
View Profile
Special user
Conjured The Illusion Of
880 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
This sounds very interesting. Smile
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
I think it is too big. Parabox is the perfect size, plus you have the sponge ball routine.
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
Agree. Would be nice if there was some sort of kicker at the end.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Paul Harris is a big fan of organic moments which can be used as a lead-in to a different effect.

Pieces of strange which can be used as conversation starters...

I am guessing this is the direction he is pushing for this use of the Gozinta Boxes principle.

It is hard to capture such moments on a magic trailer.

I imagine you would place the trick you want to perform inside the box - and have the Gozinta Box effect as a casual one which you hope spectators notice, as you open the boxes to remove the trick. Before going into the effect you wanted to show them.

A trick within a trick - so to speak...
pierredan
View Profile
Elite user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
438 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I like that idea Bob. Great way to use this otherwise empty box.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
This is the perfect version of the effect. Lubor's original Gozinta Boxes were slightly larger than these. The effect looks better with larger boxes, and the design used here for both boxes is really interesting and deceptive.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
1870 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Great to see Lubor's classic in a fully authorized version manufactured with care and to his vision of what it should look like.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1314 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I like these boxes - ideal for this effect. But indeed, they are bigger, which has its (dis)advantages.

I won't buy these however and for one reason only: I find the price to be way too high!
Daisydog
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
It does seem a tad expensive. Not sure about this one.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of edshern
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
These boxes are of Lubor's design, and they're what he used when he lectured at MAGIC Live! last summer. It makes a lot more sense to have a box that looks like it has just come through the mail with a gift box inside it than a huge die (which looks like nothing other than a magician's prop).
ThatsCool
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
What exactly is artboard?
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1267 Posts

Profile of wally
The Die had a decent story.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1059 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
I have always thought when presenting the Gozinta Boxes, one should never completely close up the outer box before putting it into the inner box but it should be closed AS it is put into the inner box. It needs to be seen at maximum expanded size up until the very last moment possible.
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
TOTALLY Agree with Angelo. The effect never really fooled me so when I used to demo the Driebeck Die at Hank Lee's I would hold one box in each hand so it wasn't a complete cube but rather the lower part of the box would protrude a 1/2 inch or so.
robvh
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, AB
280 Posts

Profile of robvh
I'll third what Angelo said. It's the same way I've performed it and advised others to do it that way as well. It's important to practice in a mirror and then you'll understand why leaving the bottom half protruding is important to retain the original shape and dimensions. The protrusion is evident when it's the outer box so to reassemble it in its compressed form is to create a pretty glaring discrepancy while tipping the method. If you practice the right orientation of the boxes during performance, then they need never see the discrepancy.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1059 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Here here Rob!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
1870 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
It appears that that the design of these boxes, particularly the inside one (stripes) helps disquise that discrepancy. I do agree with you and Angelo that it is an important part of enhancing the illusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » New version based on Lubor's Parabox (3 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.089482 seconds, requiring 52 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [7] [7] [8] [5] [2] [9] [5]