The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Deceptus by Jimmy Strange and Merchant of Magic (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
The Merchant of Magic are just about to release Deceptus by Jimmy Strange. It's one of the best object penetration effects I've seen in a very long time.

The gimmick allows you to throw common borrowed objects straight into a soda can.
Rings, signed coins, lighters, folded playing cards etc.

They have been keeping this to themselves for quite a long time now as the MoM magicians perform it commercially, but feedback and requests for it's release at Blackpool this year, together with interest in the effect for TV lead the MoM team to agree it's release.

The borrowed object really is inside the can, which is able to be inspected before and after the penatration, so the spectators can see their item through the drink hole. The way to get the item out? Cut open the can!

Ben Williams presents and teaches multiply handleing for all skill levels, including an instant reset taught where you melt the borrowed item out from the can without having to cut it open.

It includes extra presentations if you want to wear a PK ring, but you don't have too. I actually prefer the methods without using a PK ring myself.

The DVD that comes with the gimmick includes a "60 second" overview, so you can start playing with it right away, then watch the full DVD to get all the extra tips, techniques and presentations. I'm a huge fan of that, as it's frustrating having to watch a full DVD before you can start playing.

Do you need sleight of hand? Nope, if you can throw an object at a soda can, you can perform this.

Great feedback from Alan Rorrison, who was performing this with us late at night in the Ruskin at the 2014 Blackpool magic convention after playing with the gimmick for just a few minutes: "I fricking love this thing"

Here's the demo : http://youtu.be/-sfAKdhZD5M

As you see in the demo, you can show the can completely, take an object, slam it in, then show the can as you rattle the object inside.

Merchant of Magic are releasing it at the end of the month. Expected retail is US $39.99 UK £23.99

I'd love to hear your opinions
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Here's a video I took late at night in the Ruskin at the 2014 Blackpool magic convention. We told Alan Rorrison about Deceptus, showed him the gimmick and this is what he did with it:

http://youtu.be/NomGmIp-e88

Check out the guy in the pub that's reflected in the mirror behind Alan. He physically jumps back. That's not what magicians do Smile
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
My opinion based on the two promotional videos ...... amazing.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
This looks great Dominic!
A couple of questions though, if you don't mind.

Prior to the effect does the can need to be opened and empty?

How examinable is the bottom of the can after the effect?

Is there a lot of prep work involved?

I assume you have to use the same can over again for repeat performances?

Thanks
David
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi David and thanks.

Those are good questions.
The can needs to be open and empty. It's not possible to put an object inside it when full and sealed using Deceptus, although once you start playing with it, you might get ideas for adapting it to do something similar. I'm playing with that idea at the moment. (If I get that realised, I'll probably send it out as a PDF free later together with other users ideas etc) As it stands, it's better to just show the can, let them hold it, whilst you borrow an object from someone, then slam the object inside. Perhaps take the can back off them, and ask them to place the object on their outstretched hand. Bring the can down onto their hand and penatrate the object into the can.

Ben does cover how he likes to be drinking from the can as he approaches a group, drains the last drop and uses the can for his opener.
Chris Webb suggests having the can on the floor or planting it near a bin, pick it up and pour our a little soda to empty it, before using the can. See DVD for details.

I let them inspect the can at the start, show it clearly all around once the objects inside, but I cut the can open myself for health and safety. I wouldn't give them the cut open can afterwards as a cut can isn't safe for them to play with. They are getting a very close look at it as you cut it open.

Ben goes into great detail about 'over proving' and how to avoid that.
Let them play with the can at the start, do a penetration, show the can, as you are showing that their object really is inside (it is) and then carefully cut the item out.
End of trick. More than that would be anti-climactic.

Prep is just a couple of minutes per can. Super easy.

You could reuse it, and Ben covers how to do that. The gimmick is designed to be used over and over again. I suggest you use the opportunity and cut the item out. It freakes them out, and cans are cheap. If you need more, the event bar will probably have them. You can quickly prep more in the events green room (ie toilet
Cubical lol)
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Thank you Dominic!!

I guess if you used a signed coin, that can then be tipped out of the hole, you could simply reuse the can over and over?

However, if you are able to put larger objects inside, that then need to be cut out, the effect is better Smile
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
I 've seen that live in the Ruskin and I have no idea how it works.
No doubt this is the best object thru can I 've ever seen.
The visuals are crazy!!!

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
knownmagician
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of knownmagician
So when it is available?
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
How does this differ from Jay Sankey's coin in can effect?
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Sold!
When can I buy???
WillJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
45 Posts

Profile of WillJonesMagic
Dominic,

Being honest I was exceedingly sceptical when I watched the trailer because it looks completely fabricated, but having watched Alan do exactly the same effect has sold it to me - This looks absolutely incredible! I am well and truly fooled and cannot wait to get my hands on this.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Ben Williams and Alan were using my lighter and rings when Ben showed me this at Blackpool. You can use signed coins. Even an eight ball if you wanted. Then either cut them out or magically extract them out again and show the can around. The method is a fun thing to play with.

Johnny
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Don't know why but I can't see how to edit my post above. Correction: you can't use an eight ball. Sorry.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
How practical is this???
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
HI

Deceptus is now live on the Merchant of Magic site and we have added some Questions and Answers that we have received since making the release public:

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p144435/Decep......nfo.html

Orders are now being taken and we plan to ship Deceptus to customers on the 22nd May.

The magic dealer distribution is being handled by Murphys Magic Supplies, who will do their part to allow it to be available in magic shops worldwide on the 22nd May as well. If you have a favourite magic shop you like to use, now's the time to drop them a line and ask them to reserve a copy for you.

The gimmicks for Deceptus are handmade by Jimmy Strange, so there may be a delay once this first batch sells out, before the next one will be ready to get out to magic shops. So if you prefer not to wait for a copy, it's a good idea to contact your magic dealer and have them reserve a copy for you.

Deceptus http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p144435/Decep......nfo.html

Best wishes as always
Dominic
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi WillJones

Thanks. Yeah, that's why I added The footage of Alan. It plays exactly like that, especially if you place the object on the spectators hand and penetrate the item into the can off their hand. You get amazing gasps.

Angles are great, as you see in Alan's live performance you can do this with people all around you, even when you are sitting at your guests table.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I'm always sceptical when a dealer praises and promotes their own products on the Café.

However Dominic is a man I have come to trust over the years, so if you like the sound of this then please get your pre-order in now.

I cannot wait for this to arrive.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Thanks Jamie, that's nice of you to say. Have a great Easter

Dominic
The Greek
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Greek
This is going to be Epic. Not only is the method Genius the trailer is 100% accurate. Can't wait for this to come out. This is exciting.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This does look great. Any sleights needed as I feel this requires something similar to a retention perhaps.

Also based on the demo itself it mentions a pk need if I remember correctly.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Deceptus by Jimmy Strange and Merchant of Magic (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL