The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ethics of teaching on Youtube. Not sure which forum this belongs in. (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, Blindside785 wrote:
I hate it, I hate people's ideas on this. They are just justifying the wrong side and they know it.

Here is the basic theory a lot of magicians have here, in a nutshell from what I've sson from some of the posts.

"If it's done and taught well on T.V. and you are learning more out of it, then it's okay without permission!"

Are you getting that from this thread? I don't see anyone here advocating teaching something that belongs to someone else without their permission.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, Robert P. wrote:
Quote:
I hate it, I hate people's ideas on this. They are just justifying the wrong side and they know it.

Here is the basic theory a lot of magicians have here, in a nutshell from what I've sson from some of the posts.

"If it's done and taught well on T.V. and you are learning more out of it, then it's okay without permission!"

Are you getting that from this thread? I don't see anyone here advocating teaching something that belongs to someone else without their permission.

Smile Well, except for the notion of "owning" an idea, but yes, teaching someonthing someone else discovered or came up with, without their permission, is sleezy.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
GDW...

I have a simple question for you. Are intellectual properties the rights of the creator/owner of that property? Simple question. Example: I write a full length play. Is it anyone else's right to gather a bunch of actors and perform that play, without my permission, whether it is for profit or not for profit?

Al, first off, everyone in the thread is advocating getting "permission" from the creators, even me.

Second, you're question is FAR from simple. You're also begging the question, as you're begining with the pressumption of "intellectual property" itself.

An actual simple question, do you, or anyone else, have a right to voluntarily associate with whomever they wish? Another question, do said people also have freedom of speech?
Third question, if someone has the RIGHT to do something, does that neccessarily make it the "right" thing for them to do?

J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
My comment above is about the fact that since Michael Ammar, Diamond Jim Tyler, Rich Ferguson and others have appeared on Scam School and "exposed" their own - and others' - effects, why do so many members here only bash Brian Brushwood and not those "name" magicians? As well as other magicians who have given their permission to him to teach their effects? What gives them a "get out of jail free" card?

Definitely a one-way street here! If you're gonna kick one you gotta kick the other too!

Oh - and comparing this to murder?! Really?? Getting silly now.

Jim
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:

Just disgusting, here is a translation

"It's okay that I slaughtered that person, I learned more about their anatomy, I didn't have permission to do it though".

You should hear Max Maven's idea about teaching laymen magic in Dan and Dave's (and R. Paul Wilson's) documentary "Our Magic", got to watch it at Magic-Con and the main idea he gave was, "It's stupid, it's harmful, magicians may not think it's harmful, but it is harmful".

Who cares what kind of forum it's in? So what, it's in a well produced Youtube video? that doesn't give it the right to expose the tricks that they do not have the permission to expose.

He says in the video if the person is alive he always gets permission. I am taking him at his word.

I just don't think it's as cut and dry as we all think. It's hard to know whether he is inspiring a new generation or if people are just looking for secrets. I myself can't say but I feel his well thought out video was worth listening to. At the very least it made me see youtube differently.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, gdw wrote:
Al, first off, everyone in the thread is advocating getting "permission" from the creators, even me.

Second, you're question is FAR from simple. You're also begging the question, as you're begining with the pressumption of "intellectual property" itself.

An actual simple question, do you, or anyone else, have a right to voluntarily associate with whomever they wish? Another question, do said people also have freedom of speech?
Third question, if someone has the RIGHT to do something, does that neccessarily make it the "right" thing for them to do?

I thought so. No more needs to be said.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, gdw wrote:

I thought so. No more needs to be said.

I answered your question, would you be so kind as to answer mine, rather than just a dismissing "I thought so."

Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, gdw wrote:
I answered your question, would you be so kind as to answer mine, rather than just a dismissing "I thought so."

Nope. I got all the info I needed from you.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, gdw wrote:

Nope. I got all the info I needed from you.

Wow, what an arogant and condescending response. Clearly you did NOT get all the information needed, otherwise you wouldn't be dismissing my position as the infitile strawman you sound to have made out of it.

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
My comment above is about the fact that since Michael Ammar, Diamond Jim Tyler, Rich Ferguson and others have appeared on Scam School and "exposed" their own - and others' - effects, why do so many members here only bash Brian Brushwood and not those "name" magicians? As well as other magicians who have given their permission to him to teach their effects? What gives them a "get out of jail free" card?

Definitely a one-way street here! If you're gonna kick one you gotta kick the other too!

Oh - and comparing this to murder?! Really?? Getting silly now.

Jim

IF Michael Ammar, Diamond Jim Tyler, Rich Ferguson, or anyone else is exposing something they don't own, IMO, they are equally guilty.

It is SIMPLY WRONG.

If you don't own it, don't expose it!

KJ
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Sorry to resurrect a topic that seems to elicit such strong emotions, but after reading through this I have some questions and comments about the ethics involved in this topic.

First, a disclaimer. As an amateur magician just getting back into magic from a long layoff, I found Scam School to be a good resource for simple tricks that I could learn to ease me back into performing things that required time to practice. From what I can tell, Brushwood got permission from the creators of any trick he teaches, assuming "there's a single living person who owns the rights, we get permission directly from them," so I've not realized that what he does is controversial.

The closest thing in my experience I can relate to this situation are sales of sheet music, recordings, and performing. For example, as a composer I have a handful of compositions that are published. When a band purchases that music they have the right to perform it, but technically speaking I should be earning royalties on performances or recordings. The performers either pay the royalty fees or the venue may pay a blanket fee to ASCAP or BMI to take care of paying the royalties to the composers. To make matters more confusing, it's not uncommon for musicians to learn music from recordings and never purchase the sheet music. Performing or recording that music can still be legally done, but royalties are still owed to the copyright owner and in some cases permission needs to be obtained. Realistically, this system doesn't always work as intended.

However, magic tricks can't be copyrighted. Pantomimes can, however, and I noticed that Teller successfully sued a magician for posting a performance very similar to his "Shadows" routine.

All that said, I would like to learn more about everyone's thoughts about the ethics behind learning, teaching, and performing magic. With music, there are pieces that are in the public domain and can be performed without getting permission or requiring royalties. It sounds as if there are some magic tricks that may be similarly considered "public domain." What determines if a magic trick fits this category? What about sleights? Is it ethically sound for a magician to post a video on YouTube teaching the Herman Pass or the Bobo Switch? What determines what we can consider "public domain" in magic?

Scholarly "fair use" is another area that makes this issue murky. While there are legal limits, if I write a scholarly paper and publish it in an academic journal it is considered ethical for me to describe someone else's published work and even directly quote a portion of it, provided I cite my sources. Would it be ethical for someone to publish a paper in a theater journal that exposes the method of a published trick or routine for the sake of academic discourse? What if the exposed methods are considered "public domain?" What makes this hypothetical example different from posting about it on the internet?

I think most of us, if not all, agree that exposing tricks without a creator's permission is wrong and warrants criticism. But if permission was obtained or the effect falls within the public domain or what we would consider fair use is it wrong to teach the method online? Is it more a question of accessibility? It's so easy to find exposures of tricks on the internet, whereas a visit to the library takes just enough effort that it's OK for public libraries to allow people to check out books on magic that expose tricks for free?

Brushwood's stance on this seems to be that since you can't put this genie back in the bottle, then it falls onto those who truly love the art of magic and want to hold to high standards to make use of the internet in a way that sets a good example. Regardless of what you think of what Brushwood teaches and how it does it, it seems that all of us having this conversation would agree with this part of his argument - simply based on the medium we're using to have it.

Thanks,

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ethics of teaching on Youtube. Not sure which forum this belongs in. (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL