The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's you opening trick on the street (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike bonfield
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
What's you opening trick on the street
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Special user
984 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Being ME!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Cakalaki
1584 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mike,

What Robert (I believe) is saying, is that your show should not be about tricks so much as developing a rapport with the audience.

For me, there are a lot of variables. How big is the crowd starting out? 1-5, 6-15, bigger? Also, what is your crowd's age and social grouping? Most of my crowds are parents with young kids, so doing something the adults will enjoy and so will the kids. If it is just a few people, I may start out with some close-up. A ribbon and TT if I have 3 or more families. If a crowd forms quickly, I may go into something that plays a little larger.

All in all, the trick is not what matters, it is the presentation of your personality. For me, a corn chip is a delivery mechanism for salsa. Tricks are your delivery mechanism, you are the salsa. Smile
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Multiply bananas to get people attention and it repeatable. Then a bit of messing about and chat and into sponge balls. The theory be-hide this is to do something that is fun and kind of magical and stops pepole. Then to do something small and intamte to pull people in and connect with a crowd. And using a young child just helps with all that.

Not to repeat what has been said, but its not the tricks its you and what you achieve with them.

Hope this helps have fun
Enjoy your magic,
and let others enjoy it as well!
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
330 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Mike
Yes I reckon - also - that the opening of my street performance should be an opportunity to present my self (my character)to the audience in a way that will get them to stop and be amazed.
My opening effects include a flexible combination of quick effects that have proven to do just that and include:
* TT and hanky
* Silk to cane (fantasio plastic version)
* Rubix cube (Daryl)
* and following these Daryl's "Photograhic Deck" where the cards go from normal cards to all blank and back to normal.

With the exception of the silk to cane they all reset with no real drama and I am ready to go again.

Do you have some suggestions yourself?????

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Special user
984 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
First YOU learn to get a crowd. then do tricks. it is easy with tricks but you will be halfway through your material when you have a decent crowd. so people see just a small part of the show. With ME I mean that YOU have to be there YOU have to connect with the crowd. as an excersize just stand in the street and talk to people. if you can do that with easy and no sweat make it interesting for them then show a trick.

you have to have a "programm" when you build your edge. most magicians prepare thier tricks and want to know what trick should I do? the moment you are on the pitch the show is started. put your bag down in a specific place - ask people it it is ok - connnect - set up your table - walk around and look from a disctance to see if it is ok. ask people questions - tell them the show will start in a moment. MAKE THEM CURIOUS FOR YOU! use rope to make a circle - ask children to help and hold the rope. use chalk to make a line - invite people to the line.

introduce yourself and explain the show: ï do comedy - magic - dangeroius trick and this women is going to strip!? just joking. be at ease.

HAVE FUN!
mike bonfield
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
First YOU learn to get a crowd. then do tricks. it is easy with tricks but you will be halfway through your material when you have a decent crowd. so people see just a small part of the show. With ME I mean that YOU have to be there YOU have to connect with the crowd. as an excersize just stand in the street and talk to people. if you can do that with easy and no sweat make it interesting for them then show a trick.

you have to have a "programm" when you build your edge. most magicians prepare thier tricks and want to know what trick should I do? the moment you are on the pitch the show is started. put your bag down in a specific place - ask people it it is ok - connnect - set up your table - walk around and look from a disctance to see if it is ok. ask people questions - tell them the show will start in a moment. MAKE THEM CURIOUS FOR YOU! use rope to make a circle - ask children to help and hold the rope. use chalk to make a line - invite people to the line.

introduce yourself and explain the show: ï do comedy - magic - dangeroius trick and this women is going to strip!? just joking. be at ease.

HAVE FUN!
Thank you mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's you opening trick on the street (8 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.092838 seconds, requiring 30 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [4] [6] [0] [4] [4] [0]