The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Top 3 Packet Tricks for Strolling (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
improver
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of improver
Wow how is 'This and that' not on the list? That is my all time favourite trick (well partly because it is the first 'proper' trick I learned).

My top 3 packet tricks for strolling would be:

1. This & That
2. The Four Card Trick (Alex Elmsely)
3. Twisting the Aces

But I am working my way through checking out the suggestions in this thread, such a great resource.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
After reading all this again I wonder how many "performing" magicians actually use all 3 they mentioned during a gig where the 3 require an extra set of cards. I'll bet very few... to none.

I doubt many magicians walk around with 3 extra packets of tricks for the 3 packet tricks they voted on.

Seems more like armchair quarterback stuff to me.

You better be thankful for those armchair quarterbacks...especially the ones who purchase your products!
NWJay
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of NWJay
Excellent thread! Out of interest, is there anyone who *just* does packet tricks when working or is variety the spice of life?
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, NWJay wrote:
Excellent thread! Out of interest, is there anyone who *just* does packet tricks when working or is variety the spice of life?

With the caveat that there are very few hard & fast rules.. If you just do the odd card effect, just doing packet tricks may work, but if you do several in the same session without a deck, it may seem like you're using TV or magic cards.
I wouldn't do just packet tricks unless I only used them very sparingly.
NWJay
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of NWJay
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, puggo wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, NWJay wrote:

With the caveat that there are very few hard & fast rules.. If you just do the odd card effect, just doing packet tricks may work, but if you do several in the same session without a deck, it may seem like you're using TV or magic cards.
I wouldn't do just packet tricks unless I only used them very sparingly.

Hmm yes, I guess the sheer repetition would make things start looking suspicious. And also get a little monotonous for your audience! Thanks for your answer Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13077 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2017, Rocky wrote:
Quote:
After reading all this again I wonder how many "performing" magicians actually use all 3 they mentioned during a gig where the 3 require an extra set of cards. I'll bet very few... to none.

I doubt many magicians walk around with 3 extra packets of tricks for the 3 packet tricks they voted on.

You better be thankful for those armchair quarterbacks...especially the ones who purchase your products!

I am.. and if someone described getting many of these for their "upcoming gig", I'd probably ask them to re-think their decision, before purchasing.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Oscar999
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
You can't go wrong with B'Wave. I just did that recently for a bunch of folks (the Jumbo B'Wave)and they were blown away. They NEVER see that last kicker coming.

Oscar
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1078 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You're likely right, but so what. The original question didn't state that anyone had to use all three in the same gig and no one stated that they would use all three in the same gig. I could see it being done easily if one wanted to. You could put a Monte routine in your jacket pocket (mine would be 3 by Steve Valentine), Poker Test in your shirt pocket and a blank card in the UCCU (or in the card box) for Lax's Eraser. Really the UCCU could be used to add any gaff to a working deck on the fly. Or one could just go the simple route and keep their packet tricks in an aluminum wallet (my preferred solution). Then one can just take the cards out of the wallet when needed.

The more likely scenario is that performers may use one or two packet tricks per gig and then rotate them in and out as desired or needed. Or they may do a "packet" trick that comes out of the deck. I love being able to do Color Monte out of a normal deck with the Joker, AS and QH. Like you, I am partial to Twisting followed by Daley's. Fond memories of ETMCMV2 there.

And for what it's worth, my version of Spin Doctor has moved up into my top three.

Quote:

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
~Albert Einstein
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13077 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I suppose.... Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1808 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I carry packet tricks in all my close-up gigs. They take up very little room, and have a big bang. I also carry 2 stacked decks. I don't use more than one packet or card trick per table, but carrying multiple keeps me sharp.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1329 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I use Marked For Life by John Cornelius, and Virginia City Shuffle at gigs constantly. I promise, Frank. Smile
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1517 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
My list would be different today. My strolling approach changed. Now I think of strolling as purely in the hands/no tables used, so I would pack differently.

Today I might use a deck (a 52 card packet!) with my 3 1/2 of spades in it. I still stand by the old 3 1/2 of spades. I get great reactions- meaning laughter. Or I might not, depending on the gig. But, from this deck I could also do Dr Daley's and Twisting the Aces or Two Card Monte. I also like to pack Double Back in a deck because it seems to blow people's minds more than Dr Daley's.

I would probably carry B'Wave in a breast pocket just because I like to mix things up for myself and it gets great reactions. Of course I would do this for another group than the ones I've been using my SDIU with!

If it were a table hopping gig I would still most definitely perform my version of Virginia City Shuffle! Stand Up Monte. I might also do Color Monte with regular cards. And I've even done Jumbo Coincidence table hopping. It works.

I never perform NFW anymore.

So... changes.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
trickbooks
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of trickbooks
Those of you interested in packet effects might like two effects I designed that have just been released by Ronjo.com: "Death at Hand" and "A Fool for You." They are hybrid monte effects using Tarot cards. Though I've released several effects over the years, I'm quite proud of these effects, which are easy to do, instantly resettable, and completely clean, yet have a powerful effect on ordinary spectators as well as magicians. They are also just a lot of fun. You can access them here:

http://shop.ronjo.com/ronjo-death-at-han......902.html

http://shop.ronjo.com/ronjo-fool-for-you-by-gary-brown.html

Also, for those of you who work bars, restaurants and other card-unfriendly environments, the effects are being released in plastic versions that are entirely waterproof:

http://shop.ronjo.com/ronjo-fool-for-you......own.html

Enjoy!

Gary Brown
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Top 3 Packet Tricks for Strolling (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL