The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2014 entrée: Phil Cass » » Booking Agents » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
Hi Phil, I do very little work through booking/entertainment agents....maybe 2 shows per year. How important have booking agents been for your success? Should I go courting a good agent?...if so, what advise do you have.
Phil Cass
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sydney, Australia
34 Posts

Profile of Phil Cass
The use of agents depends on your own personal goals Glen, your expectations and the type/style of entertainer that you are. One can quite easily make a living without agents, with clever use of the internet and with word of mouth advertising still being the best form of advertising… but I do feel that agents have a role in the marketability & progression of any performance genre.
In fact, to attain some levels of accomplishment, they not only help, they are a necessity.

When I decided in 1984 that this was the path I wanted to travel, I was a sponge of knowledge and was out there in the market place performing a lot in Brisbane and the Gold Coast… a real lot… at sporting functions; kids parties; shopping centres; weddings, parties, anything; I was at several restaurants and pubs performing close-up and even was a clown (sponsored by Mr. Juicy) on Saturday morning kids TV (ch 7) for a couple of years; by the time Kevin Robinson retired & Magic Mountain closed on the Gold Coast, I was able to buy all their large illusions; got myself a first class assistant, Philippa Nunn (who by the way, has stuck with me for now 27 years!) If I was a cricketer I would be described as having developed into all-rounder. I was therefore very visible… my work initially came purely by word of mouth and then all of a sudden agents took notice.

For the next 5 years by trial and error (lots of errors), I tried to work out my style, my character & what it was that I was indeed good at… I was developing my stage persona/act which was a gradual process of going from close-up to standup comedy magic.... gaining as much on-stage time as I could experience.

The corporate world liked my style and it began to open up for me (how it did is a different topic altogether to discuss). I found myself driving back & forth to Sydney many, many times (for my American friends that 12 hrs each way!). I was becoming very visible in Sydney too. In 1989 I was noticed and was asked by an agent in Sydney by the name of Ms. Gillian Levitt if I’d like to leave Brisbane and relocate to Sydney so she can represent me. As both my kids were under 5, now was the opportunity if I was going to take it. I did in 1990.

She got me very easily into the club scene here in Sydney. She also was an excellent aid in developing & strengthening the corporate market which was already flourishing for me at that time. Her introduction to other speaker bureaus was also important… I’d end up paying two lots of commission but my foot was in the door… the other speaker bureaus were all giving me work. I was on a roll. She was to represent me for about 5/6 years until her retirement.

Since then the corporate snowball has kept rolling without a specific agent. I have skills in the business side of things so I’m comfortably able to sow & reap. The comedy magic act was designed/developed specifically with the corporate market in mind and as it turned out, it’s also ideal for cruise ships (Note: an agent is generally required to obtain work on them).
The act continues to grow and remain fresh and I continue to take work from any agent and speaker bureau… with ICMI being the most loyal to me over the years.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Phil

Thanks for that overview of your journey and insights into the agent interactions.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Phil Cass
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sydney, Australia
34 Posts

Profile of Phil Cass
Thanks Bob. I appreciate your support!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2014 entrée: Phil Cass » » Booking Agents » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL