The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2014 entrée: Phil Cass » » Costume » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mOzerian
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Global
230 Posts

Profile of mOzerian
Phil, firstly great responses. I have a question about costuming including, style and fashion. I recall some years ago, you would wear a striking black suit with silver buttons and detail, almost Gucci style, you also a long time ago wore a military style jacket, these were very much "magician" type outfits, these days you are sticking with a classic double breasted suit and tie. What are your thoughts regarding stage outfits ? and how they should change according to fashion and or context of the event ?

This is of course excluding character work, and the discussion is focussed on a stand up type show presentation.

Cheerio

Adam Mada
Phil Cass
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sydney, Australia
34 Posts

Profile of Phil Cass
Thanks for your question Adam. In regards to my choices in costumes over the years I do look back on the many varied outfits I wore with a good sense of nostalgia and humour. There is a place & time for all styles of clothes... from full blown theatre to jeans & t-shirt.

When you have your youth you are able to get away with a lot more interesting gear especially if it’s a bit out there but still stylish and in fashion. Bolero jackets, of which I have several, were the in-thing in the 8o's and really suited me so therefore I got individual ones designed especially for me. I was one of the original customers of Borries on the Gold Coast who incidentally, are also celebrating 30 years in the business.

I also love shopping in Hollywood for unusual clothing and a lot of my earlier stage costumes were bought on Melrose Ave. The military style one and also the long tailed bolero jacket with silver buttons were from there. You need to feel comfortable in whatever you decide to wear. Just remember that fashion changes very quickly... and so does your age...so if you take a fashion risk it could be roflmao material before you know it.

This is why these days, instead of outlandish styles or jeans & t-shirt and other totally different gear, I prefer to go with the classic but stylish black tuxedo suit as I feel it suits my maturity level, body and age. It is a timeless piece and if it fits well, it will never be outdated. Shoes are an essential part of costuming as well and must be clean. I have always had for as long as I can remember a penchant for black patent leather boots.

Once again, it really comes down to knowing yourself and dressing according to your character and personality. It pretty much boils down to being comfortable in who you are.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great advice. I live right near Melrose Ave. Fun to drive through and see all the gear they're wearing. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave Lord
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
7 Posts

Profile of Dave Lord
Would it be fair to say that as your stage persona and real personality meshed, the need to wear "Magish" costumes gave way to a more natural attire that suits your actual personality?
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy.
www.davelord.com.au
Phil Cass
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sydney, Australia
34 Posts

Profile of Phil Cass
Agreed.... good call Dave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2014 entrée: Phil Cass » » Costume » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL