The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Promo by Marcus Eddie (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4232

Ad Copy:

Even if you're not a magician, now you can add SERIOUS FIREPOWER to the most critical moment in a meeting -- the part where you want them to REMEMBER YOU.

When Marcus Eddie hands out his business cards, he implants himself in that person's memory FOREVER. And now, YOU CAN TOO.

You either ALREADY know Marcus Eddie, and what a genius inventory he is.... or YOU'RE ABOUT TO.

Get ready for a promo your future clients will NEVER FORGET...

(ok not much of an ad copy, but the Vid shows what this is......)

Vid is around 36 minutes long.

I ordered this and watched the explaination, and from what I saw.... I like it! Its a quickie and seems like a nice way to hand out your business card. Now, that being said, it wont work well with my current business cards. It is not for any reason other than my business cards are very simple and mostly white on both sides. So the change would not really be that impressive. HOWEVER, this effect makes me want to have an alternate set of business cards to hand out with a lot more color on the front. Or I might use this effect to help hand out one of the wine bars cards where I perform sometimes at.

Gimmick is simple to make, about ten minutes time.

All in all I think this is a winner from Marcus..

-J-
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
ComposerCopenhagen
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of ComposerCopenhagen
Looks very nice! Can this not be done with playing cards?
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Just bought it too, you can't help but like Marcus. It's a good effect, like Judah said above unless you have bold/colourful business cards it won't look as impressive (mine are just plain text on white) You could do this with playing cards but there's no real point, after all the effect of this is to hand out your cards at the end.

I'm gonna construct the gimmick and see how I feel about reset/performing it in strolling environments. It's currently in the penguin coolbox for just $4.95, so for that price it's worth having a look.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Looks very good, I think I will give it a try Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Looks like something I could really use a lot...IF...I don't have to walk up to my spectators all set up. Is this the case or may I start in front of them with empty hands?

Also, the "real point" of using playing cards is reserved for the imagination of the person asking if playing cards can be used. To say that you do not see "the real point " is rather condescending. You don't see "the real point" because he didn't share his vision.

M&S
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
You do not need to walk around with the cards set up, you can set up directly in front of your audience.
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Can the card have writing on the front and back?
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2014, ComposerCopenhagen wrote:
Looks very nice! Can this not be done with playing cards?

I don't see that this can play well with playing cards at all due to the construction of the gimmick.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
This is very, very nice! Love the gimmick. Easy clean-up. Very practical.

Yes, you can have writing or anything on front and back. You just need the real cards to have something visually contrasting for the effect to hit.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I have the right contrasting business cards for this, I'm game, Marcus Eddie is such a genius.
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
But unless I missed something, which is entirely possible cause I am a lil fuzzy now after work, you only "print" the front......
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
This looks very nice but we all have been fooled by marcus eddie before. his "empty" card box production looked good but was not very practical. He then later reinvented it with "Loaded" (which I do love it is 100x better). I am curious how well the handling, and angles are for this one.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
TravisNye - This is very practical. Handling is not difficult at all. Just a little practice to be smooth. Angles are great - just nobody in line of vision to see behind the cards at first.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
How long does the gimmick take to make? Is it a "papercrane" moment or pretty simple? Lastly, can the rest of the cards be used to transition into a different routine or is the "difference" of cards from what you hand out part of the gimmick?
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
I'm watching now. It's a definite PaperCrane moment, (now called Shin Lim moment) but an easy one.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Looks a lot like Poker Test.
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
I don't mind having to construct my own gimmicks (i.e. the 'Paper Crane moments'), especially if it greatly reduces the cost of purchasing an effect. Also, the last few purchases I've made of Marcus Eddie's have all had me watching the demo's over and over saying to myself "How in the heck is he doing that". To me, that's one of the best signs of a good trick. And, if it will fool a magician, it will definitely fool a lay audience.

I'm not sure why someone mentioned Marcus Eddie's 'Empty' as not being practical. It does not require any setup besides putting your cards (or whatever your 'load' is) into the box. As an opener to a card routine, it comes completely out of left field so no one is expecting a production from the empty card box. I don't have very large hands and even I can cover the gimmick completely from 180 degree angle (from left to right). No, you cannot do it with people behind you and you should not be repeating it again in the same set for the same audience, so for those reasons, I believe it is very practical.

I'm glad the same forum member mentioned his re-worked version of 'Empty' called 'Loaded'. That one skipped right by me. I just watched the video for it and will definitely consider upgrading to the new version.
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
It takes about 10 minutes to make the gimmick. It will last a long time.

I feel that this is Marcus Eddie's best release yet.

~Steve
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2014, Sashac wrote:
I'm watching now. It's a definite PaperCrane moment, (now called Shin Lim moment) but an easy one.

To me, saying it's a Shin Lim moment, even saying it's an easy one, is VERY MUCH overstating how difficult this is to do. It is easy to the level of if you can't do this, possibly time to try another hobby Smile

I obviously haven't had a chance to use this yet in the real world, but am glad that I got this, and feel confident that I will be using this as another method to hand out my business cards.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I disagree on a few points. It will more than 10 minutes to make the first time. That is just a quote on Marcus makes on the video.
Your first time will take longer than that. That is, more than 10 minutes to make it right and proper. If you follow along as he is making it, it will take you almost 20 minutes (as that is how long he spends teaching the construction.) Of course the next ones will go faster.

Second, I believe those who say this is easy, probably have not tried to make it or actually PRACTICED IT. Just making it does not mean you can do it smooth as he does. I am not saying it is very hard but there are some key things you can do that will expose this when you actually amke it and have in hand.

This is not to say it is a bad effect. There are a few side angles to consider not just the back. They are manageable but they are present.
I thought he taught the construction well and they had multiple camera angles when constructing but wondered why they chose to not use them in the teaching of working the trick to show how it looks from side or rear when working it. Sure it is worth the $5-10 however I do wish he explained WHY he felt his method for construction was so important. It might not needed if you ask me... but we can not discuss it here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Promo by Marcus Eddie (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL