The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Is it wrong to ask for details? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not one for muckracking and I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on either party but...

In this month's Genii, Jonathan Pendragon has an article on training his new assistant for the "Metamorphosis" routine. In the article, he has an odd line;

"Scandal, jail, divorce, minor name calling, and suddenly I needed to train a new partner."

What was all this about? I wouldn't ask if someone else had made the comment but he referred to it himself so I guess it's OK to ask.

Of course, his line also reminded me of this tv trope;

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma......ywalking

Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
One version of the events is found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pendragons

There are several versions though, and they differ a lot. I've found Jonathan to be a kind and overly honest person whom I respect and trust a lot. His ex... Well, if you google around you will find some strange stories.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thank you. I'd heard about the accident with the arrow, not the rest of this. I'm happy for the two of them that they've gotten free of each other and are free to pursue their interests.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
"Scandal, jail, divorce, minor name calling, and suddenly I needed to train a new partner."

I don't get Genii so I don't know the context, but for what its worth the 'minor name calling' came AFTER jail and divorce. In other words I don't think he's referring to his crime as minor name calling.

I saw Jonathan perform in February and was pleasantly surprised at how proficient he was. I don't think he has missed a beat.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Did he ever do that mentalism act he was talking about developing? It sounded interesting, but it also sounded like a tough sell. Obviously, having an established name can help get "in," but then there's still an audience to connect with.

While a certain amount of pathos is always good, to me the character sounded a little too creepy for most audiences. I'm glad to hear that he's returned to illusions and giving the people what they want. Distancing one's self from scandal isn't as difficult as it once was, so he should do well since he still has the talent, knowledge, imagination, and much of the physical ability we remember. And a partner! We always went to see a double act, and we'll go again.

But, maybe just out of morbid curiousity, I wish I'd seen that mental act.....
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Jonathan has always been very open about his personal difficulties and psychological challenges. I don't think the mentalism act he was developing had as much to do with satisfying audiences as it was a cathartic experience for him. The act allowed him to share a fundamental piece of himself with the audience and, at the same time, it allowed him to come to grips with his own inner challenges. The act was performed several times in the Parlour at the Magic Castle. Although I never saw it, I understand it was very well received.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Jonathan went to jail for shooting a handgun at the floor in the presence of his wife, who claimed he was attempting to injure her. He was not. He spent a short time in the local county jail and emerged with a new outlook and he's been doing great.

It's a great life-lesson, learned at much cost: Jonathan lost every material thing he possessed, however he gained more than he lost, with a new wife, a new outlook on life and performing, and he's doing great. He's a survivor, and a great magician.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The line to me seems an attempt at humor, or as close as he ever gets.

Good on him for being able to push through. I simply would have mentioned to the officer that they were working on a bullet catch. (See what I did there?)

Divorce under the best of circumstances can be emotionally trying. I can't imagine this was the best of circumstance. I am happy for him to be doing well. In truth that seems to be the most important detail of all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
skmayhew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of skmayhew
His mugshot approaches Nick Nolte levels of greatness!

http://www.insidemagic.com/magicnews/200......rrested/

Did he ever explain why he shot the handgun into the floor?
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
From what I have seen on this and other forums, Jonathon has built up a lot of good will and support over the years in the magic community. I don't know him personally and my first exposure to him was all this negative publicity. However, after reading all the personal accounts of nothing but positive interactions with other magi, he sounds like a good guy to get to know. I hope I get the opportunity to meet him or see him perform.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
C'mon, guys. Knock it off. We all screw up. We're guys, after all.

Time to get behind a real master of magic.

-MJ
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
I have seen them perform "Metamorphosis" a few times on tv before, and let me say it was super fast. But many years ago I actually got to see them perform live at an outdoors event, they did many of tricks and illusions, one of which was "Metamorphosis" and to tell you the truth, it was 10 times faster in person at the live event then it ever was on tv, they were just SO phenomable and incredible. Awesome performers together, that is what they were!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He has moved on. He seems to be doing well. Why pick at it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
skmayhew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of skmayhew
I just worry, I guess. He looks so fragile these days.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, NYCJoePitt wrote:
Jonathan...sounds like a good guy to get to know. I hope I get the opportunity to meet him or see him perform.

Yep! Me too, Joe! Smile

Doug
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I like the guy He is the only magician who had the guts to punch me in the stomach. (A real cool story) I am glad to see that he is still able to make a living at what he loves best!
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, MJE wrote:

Good point. Let he who has never used a handgun to intimidate his spouse cast the first stone.
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Count Lustig wrote:
Quote:

Good point. Let he who has never used a handgun to intimidate his spouse cast the first stone.

I assume you probably meant this 'tounge in cheek', but there are many of us whom have NEVER EVER used a handgun to intimidate our spouses, I am one whom has never ever done that and never ever will. So can I cast the first stone??? lol
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, TheBigDC wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Count Lustig wrote:
Quote:

I assume you probably meant this 'tounge in cheek'...

Yup.

I don't have any problem with people being willing to give Jonathan Pendragon a second chance.

I do have a problem with dismissing something this serious with a "boys will be boys" attitude.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Is it wrong to ask for details? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL