The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic SMS 2 iPhone App (iOS7 edition) (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
After a long journey, the iOS7 version of my app is now ready to download. Special launch price too!

"The best magic trick app that I've seen; beautifully thought through." - DERREN BROWN

"This is such a strong and effective use of magic on the iPhone. Finally!" - DAVID BLAINE

"Magic SMS is the coolest effect I've seen in years! Trust me you'll be texting everyone about this. Amazing!" - DYNAMO

"Magic SMS represents a real leap forward in the development of iPhone magic. If you have an iPhone and like magic, you should buy it." - MAGIC MAGAZINE REVIEW

* As performed live on London's LBC Radio and one of LBC Radio's Best Apps of the Year. *

The Effect: You tell your friend that you know someone who is psychic and that you want to put him to the test. You ask your friend to freely think of any colour and any playing card. Nothing is spoken or written down.

You send a text message to your psychic asking him to guess what your friend is thinking of. You then turn off your phone and put it aside. From this point on you NEVER touch the phone AGAIN.

You both patiently wait for the text message to arrive. Moments later, an SMS does arrive. The preview message in the Lock Screen shows that it is indeed from the psychic. Now that the message has arrived you ask your friend to confirm what they had thought of.

You ask your friend to pick up the phone (as you don’t want to touch it) and to read the full reply. They will be utterly amazed to see that the psychic has correctly guessed both the freely thought of colour and playing card. Smile

Smile Easy to do but very POWERFUL in effect!
Smile The FIRST EVER magic app to use this UNIQUE principle.
Smile No voice activation, G-Sensor use, icon swiping or suspicious turning over of the phone.
Smile No masking or hiding of the screen. Everything is done openly and fairly.
Smile You NEVER touch the phone, once the text has been sent.
Smile Once you know what colour and card your friend has thought of you STILL never touch the phone.
Smile SMS reply can be customised to say whatever you want.
Smile 11 routines plus new improvements from the original Magic SMS app.
Smile A truly free choice of ANY colour and ANY playing card. A staggering 530 possible combinations.

** SUPPORTED LANGUAGES: English, French, Italian and Spanish. Forthcoming updates will include German, Dutch, Swedish and Russian.**

Download app here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/magic-sm......s=1&mt=8
Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/734692059898824/

Smile
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
This is very very good. Clean direct and a real fooler. I'm very fussy when it comes to this type of thing, but this ones is a no brainier.

Pick it up.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This will be great once the lock screen is right. Not quite there yet but very close. I got caught first time out by an observant iPhone user who pointed out both errors in the lock screen before the effect was over. Currently I will only perform this on people who don't own an iPhone.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Mark try it on a few people. I have performed this many times and no one ever spotted anything wrong. They are busy reading the preview message. Trust me. Don't let one performance stop you from performing to iphone users. I have never been called up on anything and I have not received comments from other owners about what you are referring to. Have faith Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Alas this was in a one on one situation, he said that had there been other people he would have kept quiet. Just because people don't say anything does not mean they didn't spot it. I showed this to my son and daughter and her boyfriend who all use the iPhone 5 all said they were fooled but when pressed to be brutally honest all said that the extra clock on the lock screen tipped them that it is an app straight away. People see the same things that we see they are just often too polite to tell us.

The extra clock on the lock screen stands out like a sore thumb, the keypad being wrong you could possibly get away with. People look at their phone a hundred times a day and it gets burned into their memory, big inconsistencies will jar. I don't need to take chances like that. I spotted it, my first spectator spotted it, my kids spotted it, others will spot it. I can reproduce the effect without an app therefore it's not worth taking the risk on an iPhone user but I could use it on an android user although that was true of the original too.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Hello Mark. It is not possible to remove the small clock from the lock screen otherwise other magic apps (like the one you refer to in your pm) would have them removed too! The small clock does not stand out like a sore thumb as all the attention and audience management should be in the preview message that they read.

Respectfully you cannot assume what my audience think when I perform Magic SMS. They have been fooled based on the reaction they gave me. If anything caused suspicion they would not react the way they do.

The lock screen is as close to the real thing as possible. I will go far to say better than any fake lock screen in other apps. I can say that in confidence because my developer has done the best he can do based on the limitations Apple put on using elements of the OS.

If you are not happy certainly get a refund but please do not assume my audience are being polite without witnessing any of the performances.

Angelo
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I had fantastic reactions from 3 of my 4 test subjects yet all 4 when pushed said that they know it was an app but they have no clue how I made it have the card and colour without touching it (so the method itself is rock solid), only one pointed it out it was an app before the card was revealed. People without iPhones will be fooled by this completely. People that spend all day looking at their iphone are far more likely to spot the inconsistencies. This is precisely why I do not use the other app on iPhone users since the ios7 update, all of my test subjects spotted the main inconsistency in that app too.

It's a shame that clock can't be removed because the genuine lock screen doesn't have it. Maybe if the blur could be added to the pass code screen you could get away with it easier. I could cover the clock with my thumb easily when performing this on an iPhone user but it's not easy to hide the pass code screen.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

I think it just depends on people. I have performed this many times on iphone users with no problem at all. They take for granted what they see every day so it just becomes generic and invisible. Am happy to try and improve things if you tell me where this blur effect should be. I have been examining the real lock screen for ages and I just don't see what I am missing 😊
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The big problem is that the moment you use your phone app is in the back of people's minds even if they don't say so. The original magic SMS killed this suspicion because it looked and acted exactly like the real thing and was beautiful in that the text is received before they even tell you their card. This fact helped to completely rule out an app. The feedback from my test subjects on the new version is that they could tell it was an app but they still have no clue how I got it to reveal their card and colour before they told me.

I guess there is kind of a dual reality situation here in that even though they know it's an app it still fools them because whilst they no longer believe that I am texting a real human being they do not pick up on the fact that they do not read the full message before they reveal their card. They actually accept the moment the text arrives as the revelation.

If you send me your email address I will mail you screenshots of the difference between the app and pass code screens. I will also include details of the very devious convincer I used so that the person that apparently sends me the text genuinely believes he sent the text and the spectator I perform it on can actually verify events with the person that texted back their card and colour and both are fooled (which of course totally rules out an app).

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Quote:
On May 2, 2014, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
The original magic SMS killed this suspicion because it looked and acted exactly like the real thing and was beautiful in that the text is received before they even tell you their card. This fact helped to completely rule out an app.
Mark

Ok now I AM confused 😖 This new version ALSO has the text arrive before they name the card and colour. The trick and method is exactly the same. Only the look is different because Apply changed the UI.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Is there a cost if original version was purchased?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On May 3, 2014, Angelo Carbone wrote:
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
The original magic SMS killed this suspicion because it looked and acted exactly like the real thing and was beautiful in that the text is received before they even tell you their card. This fact helped to completely rule out an app.
Mark

Ok now I AM confused 😖 This new version ALSO has the text arrive before they name the card and colour. The trick and method is exactly the same. Only the look is different because Apply changed the UI.

Yes the problem now is that because it no longer looks and acts exactly like the real thing it doesn't completely kill the suspicion of an app for someone very familiar with ios7 but because the text arrives before they name the card and colour it still fools them. Hope that clears up the confusion. 4 out of 4 people I tested this on knew it was an app, 3 out of the 4 were still fooled the other one revealed that he knew it was an app before the effect was complete so never really established whether he was fooled or not.

The 3 that were fooled still enjoyed the effect even though they were confident I wasn't texting a real person and were happy to accept the trick as a mystery in its own right, just not necessarily the one that is intended. Had this been an actual performance I would have no clue they believed it was an app. Afterwards I asked them to tell me their thoughts on the effect and to be brutally honest and not hold back. It was at this point that each one revealed that they knew it was an app but had absolutely no clue how it was done. Knowing it was an app did not make them less fooled.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

I think we are splitting at hairs here. The app's locks screen does look and act like the real thing. It works in the real world. It flies by. The minor cosmetic issue which Apple will not allow us to remove is a non issue. In fact I have before me an iPhone 3G with the original OS 4.3 Magic SMS version. The very same version you say a few posts up that "looks exactly like the real thing". The funny thing is it too has the exact same cosmetic bug (tiny clock) that the current app has but back then it was ok but now it isn't for you. Gotcha! Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
As I said in the pm the problem with the iOS 7 version is that clock is not in dead space like it was in IOS 5 it replaces a very commonly used function and because that function is so commonly used people do notice that it has been replaced by a clock that shouldn't be there. The clock itself is minor very easy to cover once you accept that some spectators are capable of spotting it. The other difference will be spotted by less people, but can't be hidden from those who will spot it, fortunately that one you can fix and have already started to address.

As far as it flies by, clearly the truth is we like to believe these things "fly by" and laymen will politely allow us to believe they "flew by" but often they don't. 4 out of 4 real world laymen spotted the differences between this and the real thing. 3 out of those 4 spectators were perfectly happy to let me believe it had flown by until I asked them to be brutally honest.

Unfortunately this phenomena is not unique to magic apps, spectators pick up on far more than we would like to believe, this is why I have a trusted group of laymen who I ask for brutally honest feedback. Sometimes they spot flaws that we kid ourself will fly by, other times Occam's razor leads them straight to what we think is hidden from their view, other times they will point out our own failings that others would be far too polite to mention (the latter has massively helped me refine my own technique).

The biggest mistake we can make is spotting a flaw and telling ourself it flies by rather than doing our best to address it.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Ok I give up. Going around in Smile Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Haha actually you are already doing what you can to address the problem, the clock you can't fix, but it's extremely simple to cover that. The blur effect you have already got your dev working on so it's all good. Apple have set the limitations on the clock and a well placed thumb In performance solves that for those that want complete peace of mind.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Baguette
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Baguette
So I tested the app out for the first time. Fantastic. It's exactly like the previous version but better! The only "flaw" I see are the grey circles on the lock-screen around the numbers. There should be an option to adjust the colour. This problem also exist in Iunlockyourmind and I customised my wallpaper to match these circles because I got called out on it.

Otherwise this is Hotsauce!
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Any feedback appreciated. The facebook group is as good as place as any. Will definitely look into the circles. Mark you will be pleased to know the blur has been enhanced and will be in the next update. Smile
Nikki78
View Profile
Special user
I impaled Dracula with
511 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Wow, there will be a German version... That's pretty cool because it's always a little bit strange when you use a magic app and the language doesn't match your mother tongue...

Thanks! Smile

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
enteny wega
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of enteny wega
If anyone noticed a problem or a mismatch with the original lockscreen, just say that your iPhone is jailbreaked and customized your lockscreen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic SMS 2 iPhone App (iOS7 edition) (41 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL