The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What would be the legality of? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I am wondering what would be the legality of releasing a video download in the romanian language with some effect from Scarne on Card tricks with presentations of my own and some of the effects so changed from the original its a completely different effect.

There are not many books in romanian for aspiring magicians and I was wondering if it would be legal to sell a video download teaching some of these tricks. There are many people who don't know the english language.

Some of the tricks are almost completely changed in method and presentation, some are changed in presentation and some of the method and some only in presentation.

Would this be legal? This are very old tricks based on mathematical principles in things like that...I am thinking nobody holds copyrights on a mathematical principle?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards, Marian
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 5, 2014, LoveKey1988 wrote:
I am wondering what would be the legality of releasing a video download in the romanian language with some effect from Scarne on Card tricks with presentations of my own and some of the effects so changed from the original its a completely different effect.

There are not many books in romanian for aspiring magicians and I was wondering if it would be legal to sell a video download teaching some of these tricks. There are many people who don't know the english language.

Some of the tricks are almost completely changed in method and presentation, some are changed in presentation and some of the method and some only in presentation.

Would this be legal? This are very old tricks based on mathematical principles in things like that...I am thinking nobody holds copyrights on a mathematical principle?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards, Marian

Hi Marian,

While you are correct that a mathematical principle cannot be copyrighted, that isn't the central issue. You are speaking specifically of Scarne on Card Tricks and I just looked at the copyright date on my copy. The copyright was renewed by John Scarne in 1977. The copyright is still valid so yes, it would be illegal to put out a DVD with the title Scarne on Card Tricks if I am understanding your question correctly.

But it gets murky in that there are other considerations and for that you should consult an attorney. The rights holder on my edition is Crown Publishing in New York City and the edition I have is a Signet paperback. Here is the contact information for Crown Publishing:

1745 Broadway, New York, NY 10019, United States
(212) 782-9000
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I wasn't thinking of putting a dvd out with the name Scarne on card tricks.

I am actually thinking about making a download in romanian language with tricks I evolved from tricks in Scarne on Card tricks.

Regards, Marian
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, LoveKey1988 wrote:
I wasn't thinking of putting a dvd out with the name Scarne on card tricks.

I am actually thinking about making a download in romanian language with tricks I evolved from tricks in Scarne on Card tricks.

Regards, Marian

That makes things more clear and I would think that as long as you properly credit the source, you are okay.

Good luck with the project!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What would be the legality of? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL