The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » I got caught doing bill switch (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Yesterday I was paying for a six pack and offered a one dollar bill to the cashier. When the cashier looked at me funny, I proceeded to switch it to a $20 bill without the TT.
The cashier was amazed but when I turned around there was a customer standing behind me waiting to pay. He wasn't there before.
He had the biggest grin on his face.
I asked, did you see that? He laughed and said, yep.
Another lesson learned. Or is it "learnt"?
Ihor
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Ya the surroundings are something to be aware of for sure.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I bet he was entertained just as
much as the cashier was..
Todd
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Yeah, whenever I do it with a TT I tend to pull it in a bit closer to my chest if there might be an angle problem. You can't when ''em all.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
restaurant3000
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of restaurant3000
I performed a classic variation to a group of people and one guy called out "it's in your thumb", as soon as he said it I could see the other spectators looking for something on my thumb but I could see that they were none the wiser and a little confused.
I asked the chap how he knew about it (because I was sure that I didn't flash) and he said that he'd seen it exposed on t.v and the internet and that he previously knew about it.
Hazards of the job I suppose (I just wish he were a little more discreet at that moment).
Booyah!
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
I agree with John, do it closest to your chest you won't have this problem anymore Smile
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Watch your freakin' angles. And the word is 'learned" sir!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Next time say "it looks better from the front"
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
As soon as the guy yelled out "its in your thumb" I would have said "oh my God someone get me a surgeon" or something like that.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
As far as someone behind you, while doing the dirty work...I say either hold your hands closer to your body to try and restrict their line of sight from behind...or don't do the effect at all. Another great idea from Gregory Wilson is to use his "Pit Stop" method to clean up after the dirty work for those in front of you.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think that's the reason I shy away from doing impromptu magic for cashiers. It's just too random as to who may walk up out of the blue at the worst possible moment. You have zero control as far as angles from random spectators. The idea of it has always made me nervous. I've had the same concerns as far as doing magic at a breakroom at work. Just too many people randomly milling around, coming in, going out to feel any security about angles.

And also, cashiers are busy trying to wait on customers and I don't think I'd be comfortable holding up the line.

I wish I felt otherwise, because I think I'd love to make a cashiers day.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Yep.
I was the only one in line. I do a trick there whenever I come in and now they ask me to show them something.
I thought I was the only one in the store so there was no reason to be concerned with angles.
Besides, a bill switch is pretty good with angles.
Unless someone is directly behind you, as I unexpectedly discovered.
Ihor
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Sucks, doesn't it?
JeffreyMichael1127
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of JeffreyMichael1127
Is this effect done mostly with the TT, or is it usually done without? I just started playing around with this transpo again and have seen bother versions.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Classically, it's done with the t.t.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, JeffreyMichael1127 wrote:
Is this effect done mostly with the TT, or is it usually done without? I just started playing around with this transpo again and have seen bother versions.

You've asked this on two threads ... There is no right or wrong answer. Pro's do it both ways.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
To answer your question, learnt is more common in Britain and learned is more common in America. Both are correct.

I wish I had the guts to make more mistakes. I would be a lot better magician by this point. You are going to get caught sooner or later, may as well learn from it sooner.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, JeffreyMichael1127 wrote:

In the beginning I did the bill switch with a TT.
After attending a lecture by Danny Archer at a SAM meeting, I started using his method w/o a TT.
I actually find it easier w/o the TT.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2014, Eric Caldwell wrote:
To answer your question, learnt is more common in Britain and learned is more common in America. Both are correct.

I wish I had the guts to make more mistakes. I would be a lot better magician by this point. You are going to get caught sooner or later, may as well learn from it sooner.

Thanks for clearing that up.
I've seen it spelled both ways.
Smile
Ihor
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
If angles make you nervous and you want to do tricks for cashiers, learn a few angle-proof tricks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » I got caught doing bill switch (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL