The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Talk to me guys its Fathers days coming up. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK I have to make a list of three items for fathers day either five card opener and celebrity smart ass and industrial revelation are on the list. I need help what three things are a must right now. Jules will get me one.... I've been out of the loop with what's new and good.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I vote for IR. Hard hitting and really a beautiful effect.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Five card opener (and Five card box)have served me very well. When I perform the regular Smart Ass it gets a good response. Tough call.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
IR is awesome...
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I have Smart ass and was wondering about Celebrity. What is the big bonus from 5 card opener and the Box? IR is on my list for a long time. IF you guys know of any other ideas please share.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Paisa

All the following just my opinion. I have all three, so have some experience with the products. I have worked them all for at least a year (I think - probably more!)

Do you do all/nearly all close up? If so, get IR.
Do you ever work for larger groups e.g. 8 - 200+? If so, get 5 card opener. I don't have the box and think it would add to the opener, but does not add enough for ME to justify the price.
Celebrity is a great worker and it makes it less of a card trick and adds a good hook - a good middle effect for parlour upwards.

It really depends on if you ever play to bigger crowds. I've seen you do some really good close up on YTube. 90-95% of my work is close up, but for those other times.. 5 card opener just kills - not the trick so much but the brilliant build and presentation which I have now managed to personalise a bit. I have performed this in parlour, in a hall and in function room of 250 people. If it suits your style (which I think that it could), it is a winner. I normally have it with me at normal gigs just in case I have to do stand up.

I love IR and still use it at most gigs, but it is definitely close up. Of the three, I would leave celebrity, especially as you have normal Smart Ass.

Charlie
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Im 95% close up but sometimes I'm in a situation where I'm asked to do something for 8+ people that's why I was considering celebrity smart as or five card . I have original smart ass but read it was way different.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
So I think ima go with IR.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I did mismade bill and my dad years later keeps the bill and every time he sees me he pulls it out with a big grin.

One year I did mismade, then the next year I did Ignition, I haven't seen him in a couple years but I'll probably do Final Cut next time.

IR is also a great choice, but also think of doing something extra that leaves him with a souvenir to remind him of you.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Which version of misnamed bill? And I have ignition just don't love it. Which final cut are you refering too
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You will not regret IR and it will not wear out. Highly recommended for Dads everywhere! Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 25, 2014, puggo wrote:
Paisa

I don't have the box and think it would add to the opener, but does not add enough for ME to justify the price.
Charlie

The Box more then justifies the price. The gasps from the audience is enough to tell a performer that they were shocked and it totally worth the price. Bill Abbott added some comedy humor by adding the words to the sides of the box, but the vanish is a killer ending.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Here are some suggestions: Trick: Flux by Roddy McGhie , DVD: Bold Vol.1 by JM (vol 2 coming out soon), Book: Gaeton Bloom (2vol book set).

Check out my in depth yet honest review of Bold vol.1
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LLJUge6z......em5Vj4eA

J Rodriguez
J Rodriguez
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I don't have the box and think it would add to the opener, but does not add enough for ME to justify the price.
Charlie
[/quote]

Same thing I thought. Till I got the box and tried it.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK YOU GUYS ARE NOT HELPING! I will add it to the 3 item list. I just want to make sure that I will be happy with any of the three that she chooses.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I have to agree with what was said before on your original 3: IR is a perfect close up effect, but the other two work wonderfully for larger crowds. I have all 3 and I have used them all. Since you mostly do close up, I highly recommend IR as a #1 choice. Five card box is great and adds to the routine, but it is expensive if you aren't getting paid to perform! Five card opener is nice in that the script creates a built-in call back for a longer stage or parlor style show. However, if I was only doing one effect for a larger group I would do celebrity smart ass. It is similar to smart ass, but what you are getting is the change from just a card trick to a premise about celebrities, something people know and care about at some level. You also get fantastic routining.

I would say IR is #1. If you need something just in case you do an effect for a larger group, get celebrity smart ass. If you are planning out a full show that you can do for larger groups, consider five card opener as a great first effect. If five card opener looks pricey, but you still need something to fill that spot, I have also used and gotten good mileage from Jon Allen's Silent Treatment, which now comes in a digital version as well as something like Sidewalk Shuffle by Martin Lewis or Dan Harlan's fantastic pun-filled version, Hold it, Buster!

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On May 26, 2014, paisa23 wrote:
Which version of misnamed bill? And I have ignition just don't love it. Which final cut are you refering too

4 Quarters by Magick Balay and the blue crown

Don't know how you don't love Ignition, different strokes.

Final Cut, Bill in Lemon
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Have 4 quarters and I don't know Ignition is good just didn't get the reactions that I like. MIXED. IR is a must and celebrity smart ass is a must. Give me one more must have. This is the update

here is the deal pick 3 out of these items (you gave me 4). Find them cheaper and get them all.

Happy Father's day. We love you!
Oh and use the present CC for it.

have a great day!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have everything mentioned in this thread. All are good. IR is top notch quality but is not suitable for walkaround because of the reset. That's why I don't use it, and I know several guys that have it and feel the same way. Good one-off but not a strolling worker. Five card box is killer. I was the person that brought the idea to Bill a few years ago. He added the design elements. I've been using the box for 5 card repeat longer than anyone else and can attest to how good it is. That said, even I was shocked at the incredibly high price.

I think SA is the strongest stage card trick since the jumbo invisible deck. I close every show I do with it. I came up with a presentation that elevates it to what I think is the ultimate finale. I also have Celebrity SA and don't think it's anywhere near as strong. Not sure why but it just doesn't seem to get as good reactions. Others may have better luck.

As for Final Cut, I've made my thoughts clear on the Final Cut thread. I'm not a fan.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Paisa, I've got "Flux". PM me your address and I'll send it to you, gratis.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Talk to me guys its Fathers days coming up. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL