The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Phil Moore's Slicer Illusion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Back in the late 70s, Phil Moore sold a portable levitation titled Lighter Than Air. It was similar to the Gamolo levitation, only made of cast iron and weighed a ton. It required 2 or 3 guys to move it. He also offered another illusion which he created and called the Moore Slicer. He claimed that it was the first sawing a lady in half illusion that the magician could remove the covers and show the lady with the blade apparently through her midsection. I had never read of any other magicians owning or performing it, and did a search of this forum with no results regarding the ownership or performance of it.

I accidently stumbled upon a video of Phil Moore demonstrating this illusion and thought that some of you might find it of interest:

http://youtu.be/75q1roImCZg
Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few Smile
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
I had forgotten about this. Does anyone know who to contact for the rights to build this?
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
455 Posts

Profile of MCM
I once had a Genii issue from the early 90s with this advertised. Are any of them around any more?
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
This will hit the market again if I can secure the rights.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3629 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I would contact the poster of the video.

I actually believe Phil had the rights up for sale when he stopped building them. He was involved (family owned) with the G.H. Grimm Co. in Rutland Vermont they manufactured equipment for the maple sugar industry, I believe this is where he manufactured this illusion and the "Lighter than Air" levitation. The company has changed hands, but Phil left the compnay in the early 80's to start a restaurant. Here is some info that may help if you are wanting to do some "detectiving" to track down Phil, or family. Phil is mentioned towards the end of the story.

http://www.rutlandhistory.com/documents/......1987.pdf

Good luck.

Blair

(Phil also had a third illusion that he entered in conventions in the quest for the originality award. I really don't remember much about it though.)
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
Thanks Blair. I'll contact the youtube poster. That is a good start. I think if it was modernized a bit, it would be a great addition to my line.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3629 Posts

It looks like the poster may be related.

Blair
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2201 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I love this! Thanks for sharing it
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

I find it odd that many would be interested in owning it. I thought the video helped demonstrate why very few, if any, were ever sold. I have never seen anyone perform it, or seen one for sale on the used market.
Blogging: Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3629 Posts

I don't think Phil sold that many although if you Google it there is a story about the illusion and how "worldwide" it was sold. I believe because of the business (maple sugar refining equipment) the illusion could only be "off season" produced which limited sales also.

As far as second hand, we're talking about close to 40 years ago when it was originally produced.

Blair
Lin_
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Lin_
I also shocked of this illusion.
I think that it is Great and amazing illusion.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

My search of another site found a reference to Phil Moore's Slicer:

Linking Ring Vol. 57, #10, Oct. 1977 page 55: seems like it describes it as the winner
Linking Ring Vol. 58, #01, Jan. 1978 page 21: Price $1595.00 FOB (apparently an Advertisement)
Linking Ring Vol. 60, #07, July 1980 page 76: "...the declared winner was Phil Moore, with his FULL VIEW slicing..."
Linking Ring Vol. 60, #12, Dec. 1980 page 133: A performer named "Liberty" (?) announced that he had purchased one.

I don't have these issues anymore, and I lack registered online access to fully read any of the pages. Phil had submitted the illusion in a Linking Ring contest around 1977, and he won the illusion category. I remember reading that the winner's had to agree to let the Linking Ring publish the method of the winning entry, but stated that the winner retained all manufacturing rights to his creation. If my memory is correct, then some issue had a basic explanation of the method. I couldn't find any mention of it in my search.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Wonderworkshops
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Wonderworkshops
Phil is alive and well! He lives about 20 minutes away, and still has an active interest in magic. In the late '70s he took me to my first SAM convention in Hartford, CT. I helped him set up Lighter Than Air and The Slicer in his suite as he was showing them there. It was like stage illusions in a parlor setting. The levitation was ok in that close of a room, but the slicer killed! I remember folks perched as far forward in their chairs to see the effect, and they were floored. When the blade slides back and forth through the assistant's uncovered body, it blew them away! It was very impressive. Phil does not use a computer to any great extent, so you will need to contact him by phone. the Slicer is a thing of beauty!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3629 Posts

You may want to PM Prolineprops with the info ie. where 20 minutes away is so that he can look for and contact Phil. Glad to hear he is well.

I also saw Phil's presentations at the conventions.

Blair
top_illusionist
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
What happened to the "Slicer" Illusion video? The link does not produce any video.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1487 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2018, top_illusionist wrote:
What happened to the "Slicer" Illusion video? The link does not produce any video.

The embedded link above is wrong.

Try clicking through this link , so you can see the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75q1roImCZg
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20829 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The IBM requires winning contestants of the originality award to release the working of the prop and method, then the IBM publishes the information a few months later in their Linking Ring Magazine. So the slicer had to be published in 1980, after the July issue.

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
top_illusionist
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Thank you David for the correct link and you too Bill for providing that insight. Had no idea IBM required winning contestants to release their secrets.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Phil Moore's Slicer Illusion (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL