The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Hyper Twist Robert Walker – Jon Racherbaumer (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Effect: Four blue-back cards are shown. One at a time each card—the Ace, Two, Three, and Four of Diamonds—turn face up. Their backs then change to red and then one at a time the backs change back to blue. Finally, the cards change to four Fours of Diamonds.

Has anyone ever played around with this packet trick? It's not the easiest one out there for sure. No gaffs or gimmicks are involved, but it is very visual. The trick simply does not stop once it starts and just keeps getting better!
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Where is that published?
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Hello Aaron, the Hyper Twist manuscript was published in 1975 I believe and was at one point available to members of Jon Racherbaumer's old website: www.jonracherbaumer.com

Jon's new website is: www.realworknow.com/

I do apologize Aaron, I thought the Hyper Twist manuscript was still readily available. However, I just did a search for it and I got back nada!

I wonder why this isn't on Jon's new site?

David
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Walker's Hyper Twist

Good Turns

Also see Richard Vollmer's Hyper-Twist in the red Apocalypse Vol 6 No 7 - page 797.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Thank you Kabbalah (awesome username!) for the links. I will point out though that the "Hyper Twist" in Good Turns is Robert Walker's but it's not the same effect that I described. The one described in Good Turns is still great though.

The Hyper Twist I described was by both Robert Walker and Jon Racherbaumer and published in that Hyper Twist manuscript.

Again, sorry to describe an effect that is hard to come by now. However, if this effect does peek your interest, the link that Kabbalah shared has the manuscript for a reasonable price.

David
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Interesting: there is an effect called Hyper-Twist by Richard Vollmer in the July 1983 issue of Apocalypse and it is the same effect. I don't have the Walker manuscript so I have no idea if the methods are the same. As Jon Racherbaumer was a contributor to Apocalypse and obviously a reader of it as well, I can only assume that this is a case of independent invention or else I would bet the farm - if I had one - that Mr. Racherbaumer would have called Mr. Lorayne's and/or Monsieur Vollmer's attention to it.

Nonetheless the Vollmer Hyper Twist is beautifully constructed and it would be both interesting and informative to compare the two tricks.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see the cite to the Vollmer effect supplied by Kabbalah. But I'll leave my post anyway as the Vollmer Hyper Twist IS worth a try.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
A pleasure to finely converse with you Vlad! I've been reading posts by you on various topics for years and they are always insightful.

I just worked through the Vollmer "Hyper Twist" with cards in hand and while the handlings are drastically different the effect is still the same more or less. That's good news that people will get to play around with this effect one way or another.

The outward apperance of how the effect happens in both are drastically different as well.

In the Vollmer version there is a moment where you place two of the apperantly 4 cards into the pocket and magically get them back, before the backs of all the cards change color. This moment didn't happen in the Walker/Racherbaumer version.

In the Vollmer version there are a couple points where you appear to be giving the packet a straight cut (?), whereas the displacements that occur in the Walker/Racherbaumer version are more subtle.

In my opinion both are great, but the Vollmer version has a more manipulative look to it, whereas the Walker/Racherbaumer version as a more loose and hands off look to it.

It was very interesting to study the Vollmer version! I do agree with you Vlad that this is a beautifully constructed effect worth testing out for the public!

Thank you again Kabbalah for bring the Vollmer version to everyone's attention!

David
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Thanks everyone. Picked up Good Turns today.
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
The effect called Hyper Twist in Good Turns is not all what is described by David. The cards do not change color.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
I take it you didn't read my post that stated that before you bought Good Turns? (5th post down)

Sorry for any confusion about this Aaron.

Good Turns is a great book though and I hope you enjoy it.

David
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
D'oh!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Difficult to find now, but if anyone has it, Walt Maddison has a handling variation published in his book "Spacka-Trix" (1986)which he called "Hypatoo".
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
I've been trying to buy a copy of the Hyper-Twist manuscript but cannot find it anywhere. Does someone have a copy they would be willing to sell?
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Good Turns is a fine booklet. I've been doing two routines out of it for 20+ years.
Pete McCabe
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Pete McCabe
I just saw that Racherbaumer's "Robert Walker's Hyper-Twist" manuscript is now available from Lybrary.com:

https://www.lybrary.com/robert-walkers-h......400.html

I have no connection to Lybrary.com (other than being a customer).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Hyper Twist Robert Walker – Jon Racherbaumer (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL