The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Michael Murray 'A Brave New World' (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rasp
View Profile
Special user
941 Posts

Profile of rasp
This is a video of Michael Murray I filmed at the Mind Summit convention in Cologne showing a performance of 'A Brave New World', taken from his soon to be released book 'A Piece Of My Mind'. Just one of many gems. The book contains many separate routines, several principles, techniques and essays. Some principles have multiple routines attached like 'Springboard, CUPs ect' so technically routine wise there are a lot!! Watch out for 'Thought Unlinking'!!

http://youtu.be/WdlcsMcKvWI
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Beautiful!

Regards,
Mike
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
Excellent!
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Super cool, I love shuffled deck versions of this effect. The vision vs. memory process was great too. Come to think of it, I like it all!

Thanks rasp and Michael.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5947 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great routine, enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. Looks like there were a lot of people there. Must try to get their next time.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
Recovering Cafe addict with only
9822 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Cool but a lot of procedure IMO
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Mike beat me to the (adjective) punch:

Beautiful!
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
It's definitely a clever idea and there some clever parts to the effect, but I agree with saysold and think there's too much going on. Also, the face down cards at the end don't quite sit right with me. I would think any spectator will wonder why they aren't being shown them. Think of how good a kicker would be if you could keep the piles separate then reveal the face down cards to be consistent with their pile! You would almost expect that. (in anticipation of any spectator objections)

Cool concept but I think this one needs more time.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Rasp had mentioned that he wanted to share the video from Cologne on the Café, I said so long as I wasn't too inebriated I was happy for it to go up ha ha.

This routine I suppose is a bit like marmite, some will love it and some won't and that's fine, the original out of this world certainly has a more fluid ending display and so what you have here is a very unorthodox approach (inspired greatly by my good friend Dave Cushing and his Mad World effect).

If Dave were on here he would tell you the amount of variations I have on this but of all of them this was the closest I could get to a no preparation hands off method that provides logic (with proof) as to how the spectator is separating the cards ie through sight and vision.

I'm always honest and will say I've never had anyone reach for the cards after the effect but then again I always mush them together anyway.

Realising that this wouldn't appeal to everyone I have a simple solution that will allow you to end clean providing you use your own deck rather than a borrowed one as in the video and this is something that requires very little work (some may join the dots here). This is included as a suggestion to anyone who has this routine Smile

This really does get a great response from my audiences, one spectator even remarked "That's the most amazing thing I'VE ever done".

Either way I really appreciate the comments Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2014, celebrity wrote:
This really does get a great response from my audiences, one spectator even remarked "That's the most amazing thing I'VE ever done".

It garnered a favorable response from the audience in the clip as well.

Procedure can add to an effect provided it's cleverly merged with presentation like Atlas Brooking's/Andrew Brown's 'The Crusade.'

Just an opinion, but feel this is the case with 'A Brave New World' as well.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
The AMAZING and COMMERCIAL Chair Test
10142 Posts

Profile of John C
I learned this this morning while my att uverse was down. Still is. It's easier than it looks and process is what it is. I think with the explanation of memory etc it provides a nice backdrop. People actually have a reason for the face down etc cards.

As far as the face down cards too is that while you flip back and forth it's built in chaos and no one sees a different color in the group. You need to have confidence. Just do it. Heck, you're letting them handle the cards and make all the decisions. Isn't that what OOTW needs to be?

Most that talk about procedure seem to like things like anagrams and KK procedure and fishing type things. Procedure?

I like it.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
John, in the end it's all opinion and we know what opinions are like. Smile

If you like the effect that's all that counts... enjoy it and have fun with it!

Just for the record, I think Michael Murray is a creative thinker. I own and enjoy several of his works.

All the best,
Bobby
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
Recovering Cafe addict with only
9822 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ya and I plean to get his new book for sure - too many good thoughts to pass up.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1692 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I think it's brilliant.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
I just watched the video again thinking maybe I missed something. After watching it again I still feel like it's a LOT to follow for a spectator. I prefer effects that are more direct.

I'm not sure why I commented on this to start with as I think of it as a card trick or magic trick and it's not something I would do anyway. Maybe it was to provide some honest feedback. Regardless, it's just my opinion boys! Doesn't change my opinion of Michael as a great thinker.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Thanks Sandsjr all feedback is most welcomed as always Smile

Best Wishes to all!

Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
For an impromptu OOTW effect with a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards there has to be some tradeoff no?

Part of the appeal of this for me is some one handing me a deck asking to see something and I demonstrate this (mid-july after I get Piece of My Mind *fingers crossed*), Duplopia (from Springboard), The Crusade, etc.

I'm usually set up with The Code or Ayres Shuffled System/BCS, but covet equally strong material (or almost) that can be done on the fly.

Guess it partially depends on what you're looking for.
rasp
View Profile
Special user
941 Posts

Profile of rasp
I have lost count how many times I have watched Michael perform this. Every single time the reactions from people watching have been fantastic, and no one has ever made a move to look at the cards at the end.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
The AMAZING and COMMERCIAL Chair Test
10142 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
John, in the end it's all opinion and we know what opinions are like. Smile

If you like the effect that's all that counts... enjoy it and have fun with it!

Just for the record, I think Michael Murray is a creative thinker. I own and enjoy several of his works.

All the best,
Bobby

Oh.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of celebrity
If anyone is in or near Darlington in the UK I will be lecturing there tomorow and you can see this first hand along with several other pieces of my mind Smile

Best Wishes Michael

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Michael Murray 'A Brave New World' (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL